• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Force 2023

Equalizer

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I'd rather we provide opportunities for Australian players. And for teams to stop whining about a lack of Wallaby selection when they stack their team with ineligible players.
The Force first and foremost need to do what's best for their roster to win in Super Rugby. It's a business and results in the W column are what counts. Win and play exciting rugby and that will bring the fans and more money into the Force. The needs of the Wallabies are supplemetary to, not the driving business motivation of the Force existing.

Reactions: dru

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
The Force first and foremost need to do what's best for their roster to win in Super Rugby. It's a business and results in the W column are what counts. Win and play exciting rugby and that will bring the fans and more money into the Force. The needs of the Wallabies are supplemetary to, not the driving business motivation of the Force existing.

It's a symbiotic relationship though.

I think it's fair to say a successful Wallabies team is the driving force behind getting more young Aussie players involved with rugby. Definitely moreso than Super Rugby currently does.

Whilst Super Rugby viewership and attendance has been on the decline, you'll find test matches continue to get good numbers both in seats and eyes on TV. I have mates and family members who haven't been to a Reds game in 10 years but they'll happily pay for a Platinum ticket to support the Wallabies.

To disregard the need to develop players for the Wallabies is only harming the ongoing success and sustainability of the Force.

Equalizer

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Have they? They had Pulu and Matele. Fine, quality wingers. They need centres.
You need depth in the squad to compete. Why not have 3 good wing options. Recruitment continuing, stay in your own lanes. It seems like people want the Force to exist but only within certain parameters that suit the other Australian Super Rugby teams. Yeah we want the Force to be successful.......but not toooooo successful.

Last edited:

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Likewise, it's all well and good to complain that the teams with more players receiving a chunk of their salaries from RA have an advantage but the only way to tip the scales in your favour is to try and have more of those players yourself.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)

I absolutely agree with this. I just don't think the Force get the recruitment right (neither do the other Aus sides). At least Chase is young unlike Kahui and Thrush but still, I don't see the need for outside backs.

And further to another point in another thread, this type of thinking cannot be in equilibrium with the current Super format. You want a club over Test focus, you need to change the comp. More games.

Poach Peter or Thomas Umaga-Jensen.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Likewise, it's all well and good to complain that the teams with more players receiving a chunk of their salaries from Rugby Australia have an advantage but the only way to tip the scales in your favour is to try and have more of those players yourself.
It is well and good.

But what you're claiming as "the only way" isn't the sole solution that's been put out there. Another way is to variously increase the limit under the cap to equalise the (overall) salary bill per franchise.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It is well and good.

But what you're claiming as "the only way" isn't the sole solution that's been put out there. Another way is to variously increase the limit under the cap to equalise the (overall) salary bill per franchise.

Only one of those options is within the Force's control though.

Equalizer

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Likewise, it's all well and good to complain that the teams with more players receiving a chunk of their salaries from Rugby Australia have an advantage but the only way to tip the scales in your favour is to try and have more of those players yourself.
Those players will come through the Force Academy. Our WA 18s rep side just won their first 2 games. The talent will come through so we don't need to be bringing back Alex Newsome and others as a favour. That will keep us as mid to lower tier as it always has. We need to cherry pick Oz players but also bring in better overseas prospects. It's the recruitment conundrum the Force have always had.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Those players will come through the Force Academy. Our WA 18s rep side just won their first 2 games. The talent will come through so we don't need to be bringing back Alex Newsome and others as a favour. That will keep us as mid to lower tier as it always has.

I'm not suggesting the Force sign Alex Newsome. That clearly isn't going to assist them in this regard.

I'm hoping it will gradually shift now that the Force are more established in the comp again and aren't behind the eight-ball assembling a squad but shifting money away from ineligible veterans towards similarly costing locals who are hopefully still on an upwards trajectory should help things (i.e. replacements for Thrush, Kahui etc.).

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Only one of those options is within the Force's control though.
Neither of them are -- being real -- right now.^

The kerfuffle generated when Rodda left the Reds -- and he wasn't even poached -- would be multifold if Cron was luring non-discarded, non-disgruntled, or non-overseas Wallabies.

^it will change

Equalizer

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I'm not suggesting the Force sign Alex Newsome. That clearly isn't going to assist them in this regard.

I'm hoping it will gradually shift now that the Force are more established in the comp again and aren't behind the eight-ball assembling a squad but shifting money away from ineligible veterans towards similarly costing locals who are hopefully still on an upwards trajectory should help things (i.e. replacements for Thrush, Kahui etc.).
Similarly costing locals aren't necessarily going to be similarly skilled and in many cases are already with the other Super Rugby teams, because if they are good they want to be on the East coast. I'm a big believer in having veterans as mentors. Thrush and Kahui have been great for the Force. Who better.to learn on the job with. Plus they will now be coaching in WA.

Alex Ross (28)
What kerfuffle? All I recall was Tahs wanting him too but missing out. It happens. The only whinging was from Thorn. And who cares about that?
M

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Similarly costing locals aren't necessarily going to be similarly skilled and in many cases are already with the other Super Rugby teams, because if they are good they want to be on the East coast. I'm a big believer in having veterans as mentors. Thrush and Kahui have been great for the Force. Who better.to learn on the job with. Plus they will now be coaching in WA.
So which is it? Force a development/feeder club for the Wallabies or themselves as #1 priority and winning at all costs.

If there was true value in Kahui and Thrush, they'd be with NZ Super teams.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
What kerfuffle? All I recall was Tahs wanting him too but missing out. It happens. The only whinging was from Thorn. And who cares about that?
And Wayne Smith plus a slew of QRU faithful IIRC. Reg shrugged it off though.