• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Force 2023

Tazzmania

Ted Thorn (20)
Was he not signed by the Tahs for 2023?
He was but then released for Latu and went to Leicester on a short term deal, now back and with the Force

Screenshot 2023-01-20 114735.png

Tazzmania

Ted Thorn (20)
Izack Rodda was a guest on the Pick n Drive podcast.

He really comes across as a decent, down to earth human being. Talks very highly of Simon Cron and his coaching team and were they intend taking the Force. Best of all both his fiance and him are enjoying Perth.

Podcast Link

Tazzmania

Ted Thorn (20)
Union Ale: Western Force rugby club and Spinifex Brewing Company team up to launch low-carb, mid-strength beer

The West

Western Force rugby union club and Spinifex Brewing Company have teamed up to launch Union Ale, a new ultra-low-carb, mid-strength beer raising funds for mental health charity Connected By.

The two Perth-based entities joined forces six months ago to create the 3.5 per cent brew, which will be officially unveiled at the Western Force’s fan day and pre-season match at UWA Sports Park on February 4 from 4pm.

Union Ale will be available for purchase from February 6 at First Choice and a range of independent liquor stores.

Described as “incredibly light, crisp and refreshing with a pleasant bitterness and notes of citrus”, the beer will also be on tap at the Brisbane Hotel during the 2023 Rugby Union season, which kicks off for the Force on February 25.

A percentage of profits from every can and keg sold will be donated to veterans and emergency workers’ mental health charity Connected By.

Spinifex Brewing chief Adam Barnard said the brewer was proud to release a beer with the Western Force.

“The mid-strength beer category continues to enjoy very rapid growth in Australia,” he said, pointing to the fact the lower alcohol category accounts for a quarter of the beer market.

Western Force business development manager Huw Lock said the organisation was “delighted” to introduce Union Ale to supporters while also supporting Connected By.

The beer, sold in cans featuring rugby players in a huddle, is being launched under the slogan of “Unity is Strength” when tackling mental illness.

Tazzmania

Ted Thorn (20)
Tony Lewis Force CEO on Sportsline this morning.

An encouraging interview and setting the scene for the start of 2023 season

Sportsline interview 20230201

Important takeouts:

- Simon Cron and coaching team have settled in well and will be trying to get the best out of the players.
- Good competition for places especially in the back line.
- Theme for the year community
- Also covers HBF park, need for rectangle stadium later in the year for possible additional matches and Eddie Jones

Thalium

Larry Dwyer (12)
Actually a half decent team.

Need to move on from Prior though.
Listening to the radio the other day and they said at training he looked like a young bloke again compared to last year but I think you will see more of Issack Fines this year. However given how many players have moved around I think Priors experience will help deliver good ball to Hamish. And then at season’s start I expect to see Issack Fines and Hamish especially against Fiji

The Ghost of Raelene

Mark Ella (57)
Didn’t know Ronan Leahy was with the Force. Good pick up for the future. Between him and Ollie Cummins the Force have two good young Centres on the books.

Last edited:

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Has not been present at pre-season sessions that I've attended and not named in the squad.
No feedback as to where he has gone.
Contrary to my earlier advice Campbell Parata is still with the extended playing group and doing well in the pre-season.
Just a case of mistaken identity.........

Tazzmania

Ted Thorn (20)
Nice article in The West on Bryce Hegarty this morning.

Could he be a bolter for the Wallabies?

Western Force recruit Bryce Hegarty sets lofty goals of Wallabies debut and World Cup berth

Bryce Hegarty has some lofty goals this season and they all start with a ‘W’.

Wins for the Western Force, a Wallabies call-up and a World Cup berth are all on the utility back’s to do list - and he cannot wait to get to work.

The Force new recruit is an east coast transplant but has been lured to Perth by head coach Simon Cron, who he previously worked with at the Waratahs.

Armed with a decade of experience in Australia, England and Japan, Hegarty said he was excited by the Force’s potential ahead of the Super Rugby season.

“The Western Force are a club that’s growing. I really see a lot in the future here, a lot of good and I’ve got a lot of respect for Cronny,” he said.

“I think things are going to start happening here in WA, so to me, it was a no-brainer; if I wanted to come back and have a shot at playing for Australia at the World Cup, the Western Force was the team I wanted to do it with.”

Comfortable at both fly-half and full-back, Hegarty admitted the looming Rugby World Cup later this year was part of the reason he returned home from Leicester Tigers.

Hegarty said his desire to debut for the Wallabies went hand-in-hand with his goal to propel the Force up the table.

“I’ve got the goal to represent Australia at the World Cup, but first and foremost, that’ll only happen if I’m playing great for the Western Force.

“That’s honestly my biggest goal: to play great each week, train great every day, be excellent in everything I do, just to bring that work ethic to the club and put the Western Force where I think we can be.”

Comfortable at both fly-half and full-back, Hegarty admitted the looming Rugby World Cup later this year was part of the reason he returned home from Leicester Tigers.

The 30 year-old’s career has taken him around the Super Rugby competition - he debuted with the Melbourne Rebels and moved to the Waratahs before joining hometown team Queensland Reds - before he headed to the English giants.

Although injury forced him to watch from the stands as Leicester claimed last year’s championship in front of more than 72,000 fans at Twickenham, Hegarty said he gained a wealth of experience being part of their title-winning team.

“The lure of Leicester and challenging myself in that English competition, which is a fantastic competition, was hard to say no to and I think it’s grown my game a whole lot and I definitely learnt a lot,” he said.

“The different style of rugby and winning has really been ingrained to me and something I’m really appreciative for, the idea is to come back here and keep winning.

“Whilst it was unfortunate that I was injured for the last few weeks of the season, it was still good to see the team and performance of the team can always be matched and that’s something we really want to build here.”

Mr Pilfer

Bob Loudon (25)
Nice article in The West on Bryce Hegarty this morning.

Could he be a bolter for the Wallabies?

Western Force recruit Bryce Hegarty sets lofty goals of Wallabies debut and World Cup berth

Bryce Hegarty has some lofty goals this season and they all start with a ‘W’.

Wins for the Western Force, a Wallabies call-up and a World Cup berth are all on the utility back’s to do list - and he cannot wait to get to work.

The Force new recruit is an east coast transplant but has been lured to Perth by head coach Simon Cron, who he previously worked with at the Waratahs.

Armed with a decade of experience in Australia, England and Japan, Hegarty said he was excited by the Force’s potential ahead of the Super Rugby season.

“The Western Force are a club that’s growing. I really see a lot in the future here, a lot of good and I’ve got a lot of respect for Cronny,” he said.

“I think things are going to start happening here in WA, so to me, it was a no-brainer; if I wanted to come back and have a shot at playing for Australia at the World Cup, the Western Force was the team I wanted to do it with.”

Hegarty said his desire to debut for the Wallabies went hand-in-hand with his goal to propel the Force up the table.

“I’ve got the goal to represent Australia at the World Cup, but first and foremost, that’ll only happen if I’m playing great for the Western Force.

“That’s honestly my biggest goal: to play great each week, train great every day, be excellent in everything I do, just to bring that work ethic to the club and put the Western Force where I think we can be.”

The 30 year-old’s career has taken him around the Super Rugby competition - he debuted with the Melbourne Rebels and moved to the Waratahs before joining hometown team Queensland Reds - before he headed to the English giants.

Although injury forced him to watch from the stands as Leicester claimed last year’s championship in front of more than 72,000 fans at Twickenham, Hegarty said he gained a wealth of experience being part of their title-winning team.

“The lure of Leicester and challenging myself in that English competition, which is a fantastic competition, was hard to say no to and I think it’s grown my game a whole lot and I definitely learnt a lot,” he said.

“The different style of rugby and winning has really been ingrained to me and something I’m really appreciative for, the idea is to come back here and keep winning.

“Whilst it was unfortunate that I was injured for the last few weeks of the season, it was still good to see the team and performance of the team can always be matched and that’s something we really want to build here.”
I think Stewart and Hegarty are 2 great pick ups. Will be interested to see what combo they settle with. I prefer Stewart at 12 and Hegarty at 15, but one of them will have to play 10