• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Force 2023

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
He kind did…
To highlight that they may have chosen to ignore it passes no judgment on the motivation.
That assumption is being made by others.
It was clearly an error of judgment by the game officials.
Cron has just pointed out that that's his opinion as one of his players was seriously impacted by the transgression by Swinton and the WF could have gained the benefit of a red card early in the match.

The refereees are "choosing to ignore" off-side, forward passes and other calls by the AR's all of the time - many of which allow teams to maintain momemtum and/or score points. You only have to have Sports Ears to know that.
In reality the ref is allowing them to have an unfair advantage despite the known transgression.
Such decissions by refs can/may change the outcome of games which is a poor and perhaps unwarranted consequence.
Some may suggest that such practices are open to bias or even corruption.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
They chose to ignore a potential act of foul play?

That sounds like some kind of east coast elite conspiracy…

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
It was pretty piss poor to miss, and as a force supporter I’d be angry also.

We don’t want coaches criticising referees, but equally we want referees held to account for poor performance. That was a dreadful miss by the TMO and ARs, there were 3 other officials besides the referee who should have witnessed that action, or had the opportunity to request review

Maybe suggesting the officials chose to miss it was a step too far, perhaps it also caused the uproar it deserved.

Alex Ross (28)
Hardly the first time something’s been missed. And it won’t be the last. But for Cron to come out and infer it was intentionally overlooked is well too far

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
No one said that the Tah's culture was the problem, just that it wasn't a good fit for him. You've illuminated some of reported elements of his attitude towards the end of his time there.
Dunno if any of you saw the brief interview with Carlo after the Force game - where they announced he was coming back. When he was asked what was the reason in coming back to the club he said ( and I paraphrase). "lots of reasons - the main ones being the awesome coaching setup and I want to give back to the community'. I thought that last comment was very odd... give back to the community - yeah right....

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
It was pretty piss poor to miss, and as a force supporter I’d be angry also.

We don’t want coaches criticising referees, but equally we want referees held to account for poor performance. That was a dreadful miss by the TMO and ARs, there were 3 other officials besides the referee who should have witnessed that action, or had the opportunity to request review

Maybe suggesting the officials chose to miss it was a step too far, perhaps it also caused the uproar it deserved.
There are avenues coaches can use to raise concerns. In the media and with this level of inference isn’t how it should be done.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
There are avenues coaches can use to raise concerns. In the media and with this level of inference isn’t how it should be done.

Frankly the use of the TMO is a debacle and it deserves public criticism and scrutiny.

If it’s failing in its purpose and missing blatantly obvious indiscretions like that, then they should just scrap the use of the TMO in that role until such time have the technology/manpower/system in place to do it properly.

NFL set the benchmark with then use of a central control room for video review which the NBA and NHL also use now. NRL adopted a similar approach with the Bunker st Redfern. But In rugby we’re still stuck with TMO at the grounds who are trying to work with varying layers of clunky video feeds controlled by the home broadcaster.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I'm surprised he still has the drive to do it tbh I thought he'd go to Japan for a few seasons but I like the idea. I think Pasitoa is a very talented 10 but coming off the injury this would give the Force good options/depth.

Wonder what Hamish Stewart thinks since all we heard was he wanted to leave the Reds to play more 10 which hasn't happened.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I have heard Hamish may not be out West for very long. With Thorn moving on there are a few things back on the cards post his current Force contract, particularly if he doesn’t play in preferred positions.

If JOC (James O'Connor) does commit there, I expect a Force media release quoting Hamish as saying he’s looking forward to having JOC (James O'Connor) back with him. But we all know rugby players have good poker faces.

Personally I’d be trying to keep Hamish and not bringing JOC (James O'Connor) in to play 4 games across two seasons to pump up his retirement.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
Serious question here but can JOC (James O'Connor) play in Japan? Did he get a conviction for his drugs incident a few years ago? If so he would find it very hard to get a visa in Japan. If not then perhaps he just wants to live in Australia?

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Serious question here but can JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) play in Japan? Did he get a conviction for his drugs incident a few years ago? If so he would find it very hard to get a visa in Japan. If not then perhaps he just wants to live in Australia?

Are you referring to the France incident? Not sure what the laws are like there but here in Australia it would definitely not warrant a conviction, likely not even a court date, just a fine and possible drug diversion program depending on the state.

Tah Man

Larry Dwyer (12)
Are you referring to the France incident? Not sure what the laws are like there but here in Australia it would definitely not warrant a conviction, likely not even a court date, just a fine and possible drug diversion program depending on the state.

State laws differ but would certainly be up for a court date and possible conviction in NSW

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
Yeh. I don’t know much around it, but do know any offense basically rules out job possibilities in Japan, especially drugs.

I hope it was just a slap on the wrist.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
State laws differ but would certainly be up for a court date and possible conviction in NSW
I think it's only NSW that still has this arrangement. All the other states have something along the lines of a three strikes program and directions to access mental and health services.

Its actually kind of wild to me that Queensland is more progressive than NSW on this front.

Last edited:

D-Box

Ron Walden (29)
I think it's only NSW that still has this arrangement. All the other states have something along the lines of a three strikes program and directions to access mental and health services.

Its actually kind of wild to me that Queensland is more progressive than NSW on this front.
Need something to attract sportsmen to play on the Gold Coast

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Waqa Blake from the Eels possible going to join the Western Force, his kids live in Perth and he wants to be closer to kids.

He is a decent NRL winger but has been dropped in 2023, but might be decent on the wing for the Force

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Waqa Blake from the Eels possible going to join the Western Force, his kids live in Perth and he wants to be closer to kids.

He is a decent NRL winger but has been dropped in 2023, but might be decent on the wing for the Force
Strange one that falls in the lap.

He’s a pretty good player. Parra have a lot of good players and he must be on the outer. He’d get a gig at a lot of teams.

Worth a crack if the price is right

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I know the Force were already after Rona and he chose Japan but surely you'd try to get him over Blake. He was quite good at London Irish and is still only 30.

Mr Pilfer

Bob Loudon (25)
I know the Force were already after Rona and he chose Japan but surely you'd try to get him over Blake. He was quite good at London Irish and is still only 30.
Nah would prefer Waqa, younger and will have something to prove.

Going back to Rona, JOC (James O'Connor) etc is not the way forward I don’t think.