• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

FORCE v Rebels - Friday 8 April, HBF Park

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Not Kellaway's best game by a long shot. Interestingly, Lacey was on the other wing with Kellaway in the U20s. Lacey last night outplayed AK (Andrew Kellaway) most of the game and beat him all ends up in scoring his try.

Kuenzle had a wow of a game.

Philip again strong and impactful. Matt To'omua's best game in a while. FLW (Fergus Lee-Warner) (Fergus Lee-Warner) almost as good with huge workload. Force would be stronger in the pack imo with changes at 3 and 8.

People are being too forgiving of the referee in their comments.
I thought AK (Andrew Kellaway) looked decidedly average in all of his games in Super Rugby last year and was surprised he was picked at all.

But then he tore ass for the Wallabies. Probably a symptom of the team he's in.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Not Kellaway's best game by a long shot. Interestingly, Lacey was on the other wing with Kellaway in the U20s. Lacey last night outplayed AK (Andrew Kellaway) most of the game and beat him all ends up in scoring his try.

Kuenzle had a wow of a game.

Philip again strong and impactful. Matt To'omua's best game in a while. FLW (Fergus Lee-Warner) (Fergus Lee-Warner) almost as good with huge workload. Force would be stronger in the pack imo with changes at 3 and 8.

People are being too forgiving of the referee in their comments.

I don't normally complain about the refereeing but it certainly wasn't great last night.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Good win for the Rebels.

The Force played like they're the worst team in the comp.

I'm wondering maybe if the 'moving day' news over the past few weeks had an impact - Sampson gone, F.L.W. gone, F.F. arriving, etc ...
The force being playing at this level for some weeks. Yes early games showed promise but gone back a bit. In fairness the rebels also improved considerably in recent weeks.

I would say force may be 5th best oz side at this point with rebels maybe overtaking them but the gap between bottom and top oz side not so great cf last year (ie tahs) and early games this year (ie rebels)which is pleasing

Last edited:

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
The post match interviews and studio talk revolved around whether Too’mua should perhaps go OS next year rather than stay in Melb if he is no longer a a potential Wallaby. I thought it interesting that the Rebels decided to bring on George Worth when the red card 20 was up rather than Gordon to 10 and MT to 12
Ah that is right I remember now. I think To'omua has a few business interests in Melbourne and this may make the overseas option less attractive.

To'omua’s improvement been key part of rebels revival which is good for rebels but regardless of his improvement I think his wallaby days are behind him

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Ah that is right I remember now. I think To'omua has a few business interests in Melbourne and this may make the overseas option less attractive.

To'omua’s improvement been key part of rebels revival which is good for rebels but regardless of his improvement I think his wallaby days are behind him
I hope To'omua doesn't head off, he is exactly type of player that Aus needs to retain, an experienced player who can help bring young ones through.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I hope To'omua doesn't head off, he is exactly type of player that Aus needs to retain, an experienced player who can help bring young ones through.
To'omua signed till end of 2023 so really perfect in that regard and not a short term issue. But agree important for the rebels particularly with this sort of form shown for last 2 games.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
No what did you pick up?
To'omua is signed through to 2023, and Horan suggested an early departure on his contract and mentioned UK… and not Japan, NZ or anywhere else. So there is some truth/fact in his comment . To'omua is chasing a 10 jersey where Rennie has said they don’t consider him at 10 and rather 12. To'omua is on a top up contract and a good portion of the Rebel’s budget. If RA loses To'omua it frees up a shit load of money. By playing To'omua at 10 ATM it puts him in better favour for the UK clubs to contract him as a flyhalf and for better dollars. Carter Gordon is only 20 so it’s not really holding his career up, but his contract is up this year unless he has resigned for longer. He is still developing IMO. I couldn’t work out why they weren’t giving Gordon game time.

I could be way off base but as soon as Horan said what he said, it all come together.

Last edited:

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
To'omua signed till end of 2023 so really perfect in that regard and not a short term issue. But agree important for the rebels particularly with this sort of form shown for last 2 games.
Not really. He still can’t get ball to Kellaway, Hodge and Glen V. The centres don’t get the right sort of ball to run off each other either. Maybe he hasn’t dropped a ball but he hasn’t been instrumental in running the backs. The forwards are doing all of the work.

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
Not really. He still can’t get ball to Kellaway, Hodge and Glen V. The centres don’t get the right sort of ball to run off each other either. Maybe he hasn’t dropped a ball but he hasn’t been instrumental in running the backs. The forwards are doing all of the work.
He’s not a 10 imho.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
To'omua is signed through to 2023, and Horan suggested an early departure on his contract and mentioned UK… and not Japan, NZ or anywhere else. So there is some truth/fact in his comment . To'omua is chasing a 10 jersey where Rennie has said they don’t consider him at 10 and rather 12. To'omua is on a top up contract and a good portion of the Rebel’s budget. If Rugby Australia loses To'omua it frees up a shit load of money. By playing To'omua at 10 ATM it puts him in better favour for the UK clubs to contract him as a flyhalf and for better dollars. Carter Gordon is only 20 so it’s not really holding his career up, but his contract is up this year unless he has resigned for longer. He is still developing IMO. I couldn’t work out why they weren’t giving Gordon game time.

I could be way off base but as soon as Horan said what he said, it all come together.
I think you give Horan too much credit for what Horan puts out there having deeper substance imo. Bit like his pasitoa
should be in the wallabies squad comment. From a rebels perspective better I think for To'omua to complete his contract and be around till end of 2023 if can maintain sort of form he has the last two weeks. Carter Gordon can develop from the bench as he is still pretty raw. Yes I hear you regarding RA top up for a player less likely to now make wallaby squad but from a rebels investment perspective I think could use of funds to keep To'omua around given where rebels at and need for nucleolus of experienced players as they develop next gen of players.

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
We need to keep our experienced players here as long as possible. A few too many jumping onto O/S contracts of late. It will end up an U25s Super Rugby competition otherwise.
True, however the money on offer overseas is pretty bloody good for a player at the end of his career or a younger player that is not in favour and sees no chance of a Wallaby jersey.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
I think you give Horan too much credit for what Horan puts out there having deeper substance imo. Bit like his pasitoa
should be in the wallabies squad comment. From a rebels perspective better I think for To'omua to complete his contract and be around till end of 2023 if can maintain sort of form he has the last two weeks. Carter Gordon can develop from the bench as he is still pretty raw. Yes I hear you regarding Rugby Australia top up for a player less likely to now make wallaby squad but from a rebels investment perspective I think could use of funds to keep To'omua around given where rebels at and need for nucleolus of experienced players as they develop next gen of players.
Wasn't Tim Horan the one who destroyed Nic Stirzaker, put him on a pedestal and look where that got him and the Rebels. Was made Captain and starter even though he was the 2nd best scrumhalf at the club.

Status
Not open for further replies.