• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Force vs Rebels Round 1, 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rock Lobster

Larry Dwyer (12)
Considering McMahon has barley started a game at 7 in Super Rugby & has less than a handful of starts there for the Wallabies, I fail to see how he could be considered a superior 7 to Hodgson, let alone his teammates Fainga'a & Reid.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Considering McMahon has barley started a game at 7 in Super Rugby & has less than a handful of starts there for the Wallabies, I fail to see how he could be considered a superior 7 to Hodgson, let alone his teammates Fainga'a & Reid.

I take the point, but he did win NRC Player of the Tournament as a 7. And has two MotM efforts there for the Wallabies, albeit playing against dentists and accountants.

I'm a huge fan of Colby for what it's worth. His linking game is probably the best of any openside in Australia. It'll be fun to see him, McMahon, and Reid all on the park at the same time.

Rock Lobster

Larry Dwyer (12)
And don't get me wrong, no knock on McMahon, he's a super player & every team loves to have a nut case like him on their side, just don't think 7 is his spot. Depends what you want there I guess.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
He certainly wasn't imperious over the ball vs Samoa A, despite an all-round awesome running and tackling game.

I'm not sure why we're debating his class as a "standard" openside when clearly the Rebels have been playing an unorthodox 6,7,8 since Totality Tony took the reigns.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
My team FWIW:

1. Farmer Tobes
2. Chibba
3. Lorenzo
4. Merlin
5. Timani
6. Mad Dog McMahon
7. Reid
8. Thomson
9. Little Red, if fit. If not, Man Bun Meehan.
10. JD
11. Hodge
12. Inman
13. Ellison
14. Shippers
15. Harris
16. Leafa
17. Ah Nau
18. Crocker/Hagan. Haven't seen anything of the big Irish lad yet.
19. Retallick
20. Fainga'a
21. Man Bun Meehan or Snowden
22. Crawford
23. Placid

Feel it's a good starting team with plenty of brute force (pun intended) to blow them off the park. And, all those finishes to come on in the last 20 or 30.

Totality Tony, you're welcome.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
My team FWIW:

1. Farmer Tobes
2. Chibba
3. Lorenzo
4. Merlin
5. Timani
6. Mad Dog McMahon
7. Reid
8. Thomson
9. Little Red, if fit. If not, Man Bun Meehan.
10. JD
11. Hodge
12. Inman
13. Ellison
14. Shippers
15. Harris
16. Leafa
17. Ah Nau
18. Crocker/Hagan. Haven't seen anything of the big Irish lad yet.
19. Retallick
20. Fainga'a
21. Man Bun Meehan or Snowden
22. Crawford
23. Placid

Feel it's a good starting team with plenty of brute force (pun intended) to blow them off the park. And, all those finishes to come on in the last 20 or 30.

Totality Tony, you're welcome.

Similar here, but would swap Thomson & Colby, would start Engo ahead of Hodge, and then put him on the bench ahead of Crawf (who's not in full training yet, I believe).

Can't wait to see BIP start - he gives up a little on defence but is a great passer of the ball

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
Similar here, but would swap Thomson & Colby, would start Engo ahead of Hodge, and then put him on the bench ahead of Crawf (who's not in full training yet, I believe).

Can't wait to see BIP start - he gives up a little on defence but is a great passer of the ball

And would have Cummo on the pine ahead of Retallick

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
I think you'd need to put a gun to TTs head before he considered Crawford and Placid in the same 23. Dangerous things playmakers, they do stuff, they have ideas.

That's a handy team though. Don't think it's quite finals, but it's not far off.

M

Moono75

Some nice banter so far and the Rebels fans are talking themselves up. But they don't seem to have noticed the banana peel in front of them.

Semisi Masirewa.....try machine.....coming your way Saturday Rebels...muuhahahahahahaahaha!

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Would love to see Jack D take it to the next level this year. I think he could be in Wallabyframe by the end of the year.

For us, I'm trying to rein in my pessimism but the inclusion of Grant just makes me think after we try to chuck it wide and it fails because we have a whole host of average barely super rugby quality backs, Hodgson will take charge and we will turn it into ugly breakdown shitfests and try to win by having Grant kick us home.

Rasolea, Burton, Brache, Godwin and Morahan will have to improve 30% over last year to even have a chance of winning half of our games.

Sadly, I see the Rebels by 7.

Shaker

Ron Walden (29)
My Force team:

1. Cowan
2. Charles
3. Millar
4. Mafi
5. Coleman
6. Alcock
7. Hodgson
8. Cottrell
9. Mathewson
10. Lance
11. Brache
12. Godwin
13. Tapuai
14. Morahan
15. Haylett-Petty

M

Moono75

Would love to see Jack D take it to the next level this year. I think he could be in Wallabyframe by the end of the year.

For us, I'm trying to rein in my pessimism but the inclusion of Grant just makes me think after we try to chuck it wide and it fails because we have a whole host of average barely super rugby quality backs, Hodgson will take charge and we will turn it into ugly breakdown shitfests and try to win by having Grant kick us home.

Rasolea, Burton, Brache, Godwin and Morahan will have to improve 30% over last year to even have a chance of winning half of our games.

Sadly, I see the Rebels by 7.

I think you will see Semisi Masirewa develop into a very good attacking player for the Force. He is quick and can beat defenders. Grant has the experience to settle the team and Jono will be a good change up. As long as Foley picks the right team we should be OK. I'm happy to wait 3 or 4 games to see how things develop.

Of course none of that disqualifies me from getting on here Saturday evening after the game and a few beers bitching about it if we lose :D

todd4

Jim Clark (26)
Temperature for Saturday is predicted to peak at 39 degrees. Game is at 6.50pm local time which means the sun will not have set so should still be in the 30's. Extreme conditions.

Melchior

Herbert Moran (7)
Interesting to see how the first 15 go. Force were very bad chasing the game last year. They need to be in front and then hold off the rebs in the back end when they wilt a bit in the Perth heat. Force by 5.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Temperature for Saturday is predicted to peak at 39 degrees. Game is at 6.50pm local time which means the sun will not have set so should still be in the 30's. Extreme conditions.

6:50 must be close to sunset as the sandgropers don't do daylight saving and its eight weeks from the longest day. The key will be whether the atmospheric conditions allow a fast or slow cool to take place. Is the doctor due?

todd4

Jim Clark (26)
6:50 must be close to sunset as the sandgropers don't do daylight saving and its eight weeks from the longest day. The key will be whether the atmospheric conditions allow a fast or slow cool to take place. Is the doctor due?

Officially, sunset at 6.54pm, last light 7.19pm. On days of 39 deg. it usually stays in low 30's into the early evening. Freo doctor does not always blow.

http://www.bom.gov.au/wa/forecasts/perth.shtml

Mr Pilfer

Bob Loudon (25)
My Force team:

1. Cowan
2. Charles
3. Millar
4. Mafi
5. Coleman
6. Alcock
7. Hodgson
8. Cottrell
9. Mathewson
10. Lance
11. Brache
12. Godwin
13. Tapuai
14. Morahan
15. Haylett-Petty

As always depth is going to be an issue once injuries set in. That team would look so much stronger with Faulkner and McCalman in place of Millar and Alcock.

Only changes to the above could be Stander for Alcock, Grant for Lance and maybe Masirewa on the wing.

Status
Not open for further replies.