• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Force vs Rebels Round 1, 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Methinks that Hodgey his heir apparent to either the center position vacated by Ellison or the Fullback position vacated by Harris in 2017, so with 2 Wingers injured (Sefa and Crawford), having the "next best" player on the paddock might be considered more valuable than having a proper back 3 player in Engo or Placid.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Is Hodge really a wing? I'm not sure has great pace/ evasiveness but he does have a monster boot.
Nope. But Harris doesn't have a fantastic boot, so a second fullback isn't exactly the worst option against a team that's traditionally played territory.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
pretty much what i would have picked. english/ hodge a toss up. i might have gone with a 6/2 bench split.
did Hagan play in either of the two trials

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
pretty much what i would have picked. english/ hodge a toss up. i might have gone with a 6/2 bench split.
did Hagan play in either of the two trials

Given the expected conditions for Saturday in Perth, I thought they may have played Fug instead of Placid. Still, pretty happy with the team as selected.

Hagan didn't play either trial.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Lineouts will be interesting with Coleman/Mafi/Cottrell up against Jones/McMahon/Thomson.
As will Breakdowns. Pitty that McCalman wasn't back earlier.
Starting Packs very even in weight, but Rebs a significant weight advantage with replacements.
Sea of Blue may make the difference in this opening game of the season.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Given the expected conditions for Saturday in Perth, I thought they may have played Fug instead of Placid. Still, pretty happy with the team as selected.

Hagan didn't play either trial.
Fuglistaller would just be overkill. It'd have to be another ball carrying type backrow, and I don't even know if we've got one of them?

Glad Placid's getting a look.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Fuglistaller would just be overkill. It'd have to be another ball carrying type backrow, and I don't even know if we've got one of them?

Glad Placid's getting a look.

If it was a ball carrier, we would have needed either Retallick or Jeffries and have whichever one of Jones and Timani that wasn't substituted switch to the backrow.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
If it was a ball carrier, we would have needed either Retallick or Jeffries and have whichever one of Jones and Timani that wasn't substituted switch to the backrow.
Point. But they seem to want to be getting smaller and faster, especially towards the end of games. Although that might just be because they've got a lot of good opensides, and no good locks.

todd4

Jim Clark (26)
Brache had a very strong game in the trial against the Hurricanes, both attack and defence. I'd say Foley is rewarding him for what he has shown in the pre-season.

On the strength of his trial game I'm happy to see him there.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
How are we going to go in the scrum? I only saw Guy Millar in 1 NRC game and I think his opposition got the better of him.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
How are we going to go in the scrum? I only saw Guy Millar in 1 NRC game and I think his opposition got the better of him.
IMO he's an improvement on Hoskins and van Wyk. Not the finished article by any means, granted.

Also.......

Taps Taps Taps Taps Taps Taps Taps Taps Taps Taps Taps

Shaker

Ron Walden (29)
Brache had a very strong game in the trial against the Hurricanes, both attack and defence. I'd say Foley is rewarding him for what he has shown in the pre-season.

On the strength of his trial game I'm happy to see him there.

Trained the house down yesterday.

M

Moono75

The Western Force enter 2016 with a sense of renewed optimism following their disastrous 10th Anniversary season which provided the Sea of Blue with as much to celebrate as a diagnosis of haemorrhoids. 2015 truly was our ‘Annus Horriblis’.

After an offseason of much soul searching and honest introspection, the team took responsibility for failing to fire, and resolved to ditch the grind out style and aimless kicking so much a part in recent years. Force fans hadn’t seen as many balls go down on a field since Tom Brady and ‘deflategate’!

A shake up of the roster has seen the departure of some notables including Sias Ebersohn, the maligned poster boy for the woes of the kicking game, tall timber Sam Wykes and Wilhelm Steenkamp as well as cult hero Nick “Honey Badger” Cummins whose return from a stint in Japan with the Red Sparks provided less fire than a Samsung washing machine.

A swathe of ‘old’ new talent has been brought in to help re-energize the game plan. Like the Canadian Mounties the Force finally got their man with Peter Grant lured to Perthfontein to fulfil a role as both mentor and a playing 10. He will share time at the position with Jono Lance, Super Rugby’s human pinball, having bounced out of the Reds and Warratahs, but finally gets a chance to shine with the Force. His preseason form has stirred optimism and he could be “the man” to fire this attack.

Reasons for Optimism
It starts and ends with Matt Hodgson. The physical and spiritual leader, his presence infiltrates all aspects of the Force culture and fuels the team that extra 10%...kind of like the early years of Firepower! His motor shows no signs of slowing at this point.

Adam Coleman, the man mountain’s stocks are on the rise shown by his inclusion in the Wallabies WC training squad. He is injury free, niggle free and ready to lock down the Force lineout. Look for him to throw his weight around this year.

Steve Mafi – for many fans the standout player for 2015. Able to play lock or flanker he showed the subtly of a Tongan ballerina with his hard running, pivoting through opponents rather than around them. His right arm will be ‘en pointe’ in 2016 delivering the ‘don’t argue’.

Dane Haylett Petty – safe under the high ball, with a big boot and a flair for the counter attack. He can get the team downtown, on time, faster than FedEx. He showed flashes of true class in 2015 and will look to add consistency this year.

Semisi Masiwera – exciting new Fijian signing who has shown flash in the NPC with his speed and an ability to beat defenders. He’ll prove harder to take down than George Pell.

Ben McCalman – the big dog is the meat and potatoes of the team. Need a couple of tough metres, he’ll get it for you. He’s on a slow roast for a return against the Brumbies in Round 3.

Kyle Godwin back in his preferred position at 12 where he showed promise in his early years. Has the vision and running game to open up the attack and with new signing Ben Tapuai could form a devastating centre combination.

Also keep an eye on speedy winger Luke Morahan as he could benefit the most from the Force’s new throw it around philosophy. With Lance, Godwin and Taps opening things up, Mozza could be streaking down the sideline more often than Zac Guilford after a bender in a Rarotonga bar (the old Zac that is).

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
your work Moono? We're always looking for more contributors for main page, particularly for the Force.

If you are looking for an outlet, let us know.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Alright, 15 before kickoff, I've seen the rest that OZ had to offer, I'm on the Lager and I can't wait for kick off. Let's smash 'em Rebs!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.