• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Force vs Sharks - 2011R03

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
I still get pissed off with people writing that the spear tackle was vicious. Odwa didn't even land on his head. It wasn't even a spear tackle. Just lifted beyond the horizontal.

I'm over it. If pocock doesn't lodge an official complaint then obviously that is it.

I understand his comments on twitter. He would be quite bitter about being out for 6 weeks.

Go the force!!!!

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
I still get pissed off with people writing that the spear tackle was vicious. Odwa didn't even land on his head. It wasn't even a spear tackle. Just lifted beyond the horizontal.

I'm over it. If pocock doesn't lodge an official complaint then obviously that is it.

I understand his comments on twitter. He would be quite bitter about being out for 6 weeks.

Go the force!!!!

Oh...so you have to land on your head for it to really be a spear tackle??

I don't think it was 'vicious' but it was definitely dangerous - happy with the card and the suspension. If you don't want to get either, tackle coreectly.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
From the SMH:

Pocock and du Plessis stoush put to rest
Josh Jerga
March 9, 2011 - 6:46PM

PERTH: Western Force flanker David Pocock says he has no hard feelings against Jannie du Plessis despite the Sharks prop allegedly threatening to break his neck.

Pocock limped off Perth's NIB Stadium early in the Force's 39-12 loss to the Sharks on Saturday night after he became involved in a messy ruck.

After Pocock ripped the ball from Sharks hooker Bismarck du Plessis, his brother Jannie grabbed the backrower by the head and pulled him backwards into an awkward position.

Pocock was cleared of a serious knee injury but will spend four-to-six weeks on the sidelines with a medial ligament strain.

Hours after the match the 2010 John Eales Medal-winner accused du Plessis of threatening to break his neck after the ruck had cleared and he was on the ground in pain.

Responding to the incident on Twitter, Pocock quoted du Plessis as telling him: "Next time, I'll break your f---in neck".

"Jannie du Plessis, Sharks prop and all-round nice. Haha, what a good bloke...", Pocock tweeted on Sunday.

But on Wednesday it seemed Pocock had made amends with the Springbok forward and there was no animosity between the pair.

"Got a call from Jannie du Plessis last night - ended up having a good chat, no hard feelings, all sorted. Good luck to the Sharks vs the Rebels," he said on Twitter on Wednesday.

A spokesman for SANZAR said the Force had not made a complaint in relation to the incident and therefore would not be launching an inquiry into the matter.

Earlier in the week Sharks coach John Plumtree said he was disappointed by the way the Force had played during the game which included a red card to centre Rory Sidey in the 18th minute for a dangerous, lifting tackle.

"We're disappointed that the Force looked like they came out to give us a physical hard time," Plumtree said on Monday.

"They had talked about a physical battle all through the week and clearly they got over-emotional in some of the collisions."

The Force will line-up against the Blues in Perth on Saturday.
The tweeting may not be the smartest thing to do straight after a game.

Honestly, if you have a problem with a bloke...pick up your phone and give him a call. Like Jannie obviously did. That's how people used to deal with issues....fuck this tweeting bullshit.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
"We're disappointed that the Force looked like they came out to give us a physical hard time," Plumtree said on Monday.

PaarlBok, Blue, just what is going on in South African rugby? One of your coaches "disappointed" that the opposition "came out to give us a physical hard time"? I always thought there was nothing you blokes enjoyed more than "a physical hard time". A chink in the armour, perhaps.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
I didn't even mention the injury. That could have occurred in any situation that a player has his lower half pinned and I doubt du pleiss knew he was pinned. What I don't doubt is that du pleiss knew he had him by the neck and intentionally twisted him backwards with the leverage of his own body. The resulting injury could have been a lot worse.

Can't believe you don't see a deliberate action maybe your bias is clouding your judgement on this one?

How many times does this happen in any given match? Often. I am not condoning it. Quite the opposite.

Where is the bias in that?

I'll try again:

Players clear each other out by the head and neck too often and it should be stopped.
I guess my reaction is due to every small incident involving a SAffers resulting in morbid death cries of Dirty Saffer! when in most cases players in all nations are guilty of the same shit.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)

PaarlBok, Blue, just what is going on in South African rugby? One of your coaches "disappointed" that the opposition "came out to give us a physical hard time"? I always thought there was nothing you blokes enjoyed more than "a physical hard time". A chink in the armour, perhaps.

I don't know Bruce. I don't have a direct line into Juhn Plumtree's head. Maybe Paarl does? I can only speculate, like you. Maybe he meant that it appeared as if the Force was going to step over the line in terms of physicality?

What's the context of that quote? I can't comment until I see that.

The above is yet another badly patched together piece of toilet journalism. Like most rugby reporting in Australia seems to be. Gotta create headlines to keep up with the shackledraggers and all that.

I think the one to come out worst our of all this is Pocock. Not only is he crock but he looks like an like an immature brat. .

Full marks to du Plessis for picking up the telephone and clearing the air though.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)

Go the force!!!!

Players canlt lodge official complaints. Managers can submit cases for sighting within the allowed window.

The fact that Force management did nothing is clear enough that they saw nothing in it. Pocock was clearly pissed off and blew off some steam like any good 12 year old. Tweet.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
So all the South Africans come out with a clean bill of health while the Australian journalists are attention whores and Pocock is an "immature brat"?

C

centreman

I'm also surprised that nothing was done about the Sharks No.5 attacking the head of Sidey after the lifting tackle. If you watch the video this is a premeditated vicious attack and in other circumstances would have been a yellow or red card.
I remember Dean Mumm getting 2 weeks last season against the Reds for a much less dangerous "clear out".
Not much consistency being shown IMO.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Oh...so you have to land on your head for it to really be a spear tackle??

I don't think it was 'vicious' but it was definitely dangerous - happy with the card and the suspension. If you don't want to get either, tackle coreectly.

You have too be speared into the ground head first. It wasn't a spear tackle. I'm not saying it wasn't dangerous. Just watched it again. It defiantly deserved a card and I think a week
Or two is right.

Go the force!!!!

whatty

Bob Loudon (25)

Exactly ludicrous to think SA Rugby team would shirk "Physicality" so it obviously means one step beyond....

rustycruiser

Billy Sheehan (19)
You have too be speared into the ground head first. It wasn't a spear tackle. I'm not saying it wasn't dangerous. Just watched it again. It defiantly deserved a card and I think a week
Or two is right.
Really? Try again.

Law 10.4(j) said:
Lifting a player from the ground and dropping or driving that player into the ground whilst that player’s feet are still off the ground such that the player’s head and/or upper body come into contact with the ground is dangerous play.

whatty

Bob Loudon (25)
Look at the suspensions in last years tri nations for spear tackles. I don't think any of them were head first.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I don't know Bruce. I don't have a direct line into Juhn Plumtree's head. Maybe Paarl does? I can only speculate, like you. Maybe he meant that it appeared as if the Force was going to step over the line in terms of physicality?

What's the context of that quote? I can't comment until I see that.

The above is yet another badly patched together piece of toilet journalism. Like most rugby reporting in Australia seems to be. Gotta create headlines to keep up with the shackledraggers and all that.

I think the one to come out worst our of all this is Pocock. Not only is he crock but he looks like an like an immature brat. .

Full marks to du Plessis for picking up the telephone and clearing the air though.
I thought you saved that crap for TSF? ;)

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
I'm also surprised that nothing was done about the Sharks No.5 attacking the head of Sidey after the lifting tackle. If you watch the video this is a premeditated vicious attack and in other circumstances would have been a yellow or red card.
I remember Dean Mumm getting 2 weeks last season against the Reds for a much less dangerous "clear out".
Not much consistency being shown IMO.

I duly agree and I am even willing to tweet this and confirm it by telephone.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Really? Try again.

Well I read up on the new law and in that definition how the he'll are you meant too tackle anybody. A players feet will always leave the ground. That used to be a good tackle. Driving an attacker back. All an attacker has too do now is lift there feet when they are tackled and the tackler will get carded. It makes No sense.

But yes you are right mate.

Now is rugby turning into afl. It is getting way too soft.

And one more thing. They should not call it a spear tackle any more. Because by the new definitions it is not a spear tackle.

Go the force!!!!

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Sidey deserved time for lifting the leg, but the tackle was made much worse because Fairbanks was in the middle of throwing the off balanced body to the ground.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)

Beautifully expressed, Blue. No arguments from me.

Status
Not open for further replies.