• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Force vs Sharks - 2011R03

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
The first Aus vs SA match coming up. Force off a bye and the Sharks in great shape after beating the Blues. One battle and maybe deciding will be the Lampie vs OConnor one. The Force dont had much success against the Sharks in the past and myself cant see this happening if the Sharks keep up their current form. They have the best pack in the competition with Battleship leading from the front and a excellent basic structure where they play from with an excellent back three to launch attacks. Midfield probably their only crack but then Oupa have been excellent and Bosman/GJ Pottas good additions for them.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
I don't know Paarl. This should be a cracker of a game and the Force will lift at home. Will love to see what they come up with as they looked to have their shit together against the Reds.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I'm looking forward to being able to actually get along and seeing a game! The clash of the back rows should be awesome, as will be Lambie and JOC (James O'Connor) at 10. Can't wait!

The Mayor of Perth

Ted Fahey (11)
The first Aus vs SA match coming up. Force off a bye and the Sharks in great shape after beating the Blues. One battle and maybe deciding will be the Lampie vs OConnor one. The Force dont had much success against the Sharks in the past and myself cant see this happening if the Sharks keep up their current form. They have the best pack in the competition with Battleship leading from the front and a excellent basic structure where they play from with an excellent back three to launch attacks. Midfield probably their only crack but then Oupa have been excellent and Bosman/GJ Pottas good additions for them.

Force v Sharks - big win to the home team in each of first two years, Force unlucky to lose narrowly in Durban in 08 with a Hodgo try denied at the end, shithouse in pink with a finals berth on the line at Subi in 09 and another narrow loss in Durban last year. Not that bad a record for a new franchise against an SA powerhouse.

O'Connor v Lambie will be intriguing but, as you suggest, the packs may have more of a say. The Sharks look awesome in the tight but most commentators, especially on G&GR, thought the Reds pack would push the Force forwards around like schoolboys. Didn't happen, Force were dominant. Most media will run with the number 10 match-ups, bust just as important could be Fairbrother v Beast. An unchanged Force 22 to win by 5.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
I wasn't all that impressed with the Sharks on the weekend. The scoreline was flattered by an intercept try in the final quarter of the game.

The Blues were extremely scratchy, but the Sharks didn't look home and clear till the final 10 despite dominating through the pack.

Force by 12

M

Moono75

What about Ripia. He's going to miss again on Saturday? Is it a broken bone in his foot and when is he likely to play then? Looking forward to the first home game. Liked the effort the boys put in against the Reds. Hopefully the cobwebs have been blown out and they put in a big effort against the Sharks. Bring it on!

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
The Sharks botched four obvious tries on the weekend. They were totally dominant against the Blues in the forwards. On paper the Sharks pack looks awesome but they have had a problem finishing games off due to lack of penetration and finishing in the backs and on the evidence of last week it's still a problem.

Lance Free

Arch Winning (36)
If JO'C continues to be a success at No 10, I wonder whether they'll countenance Ripia at 12 (where he's played before)?

Fairbanks did a solid job against the Reds but they'll want their marquee signing on the park, whenever that'll be.

Shepherd might also be a factor in that equation?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
If JO'C continues to be a success at No 10, I wonder whether they'll countenance Ripia at 12 (where he's played before)?

Fairbanks did a solid job against the Reds but they'll want their marquee signing on the park, whenever that'll be.

Shepherd might also be a factor in that equation?

What did JOC (James O'Connor) do at 10 that he couldn't do from 15 or 12?

He is an opportunist who kicks goal, not the director of the team.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
The Sharks botched four obvious tries on the weekend. They were totally dominant against the Blues in the forwards. On paper the Sharks pack looks awesome but they have had a problem finishing games off due to lack of penetration and finishing in the backs and on the evidence of last week it's still a problem.

Yeah agree Blue, Sharks should have won that game by 20 points at least. In the end they just scraped it.

This is a very hard game to tip, with the Sharks out of the Republic and the Force coming off a bye. I lean to the Force in a close one after the way they played against the Reds, although the tight 5 will need to front up big time.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
If JO'C continues to be a success at No 10, I wonder whether they'll countenance Ripia at 12 ?

Don't discount the possibility of Ripia playing 10 if he is fit. He looked very handy playing for the Force against the Brumby Runners a few weeks back.

M

Moono75

Getting Ripia back (this year please) will add another quality player with Super Rugby experience and that can only be good for the Force. For the game against the Sharks I'd like to see Dave Smith get plenty of the ball. He's a dangerous runner and needs to be unleashed to wreak some havoc. Only a few days to wait.....hope the beers cold at Nib. Go the Force!

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Confident the Sharks will win this one, they can only lose it if they drop Battleship for Smit. Aus a bit of a bogey place for them but sure they will rectify it this weekend.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Force will not lose this one. I can't see the Sharks beating this pack in penalties and they don't have good enough backs to create anything. The Force will fire up in front of their home crowd after that devastating loss to the Reds. They've been eager to set the record straight for 2 weeks now.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
This game is all about the "don't knows":

if the Force backrow can disrupt the Sharks power at the breakdown enough to turn the game?
if the Shark tight five can dominate the set piece and either make significant progress or generate penalties from that?
if the Shark backline can be effective and clinically finish forward dominance?
if the individual flashes of brilliance from some of the Force backs can cut open the Sharks defence?

Its a tipping nightmare, especially with the Force having had a bye straight after an undeserved loss. I'm leaning towards the Sharks but my confidence level is not high.

Status
Not open for further replies.