• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Force vs Sharks - 2011R03

Status
Not open for further replies.

todd4

Jim Clark (26)
I guess a lot of peoples opinion of the Force is probably related to where they finished on the ladder last year, but you could take a line through their first half of the season when the team struggled with injuries, and the second half of the season when they had their good players back they had good wins against the Stormers and Crusaders and close loses to the Tahs and Bulls, these were the performances of a good team, but I'll stop before I start to 'bemoan what coulda been'.

What I'm saying is that there are Force supporters who were not in the least surprised by their performance against the Reds and actually approached that game reasonably confident of a win.

The Force don't have injury problems this time around (except Ripia) and they are expected to stand up and make this a season that counts.

The Sharks may very well come into this game brimming with confidence after their good start to the season and may be surprised by the reception they receive from a Force team that will give their all in front of their home crowd.

Should be a great game, bring it on!

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
I wouldn't say the Sharks are brimming with confidence unless they are delusional. They have been mostly poor and decent fro glimpses.

The Force are favourites in my book and I think the Sharks are well aware of the fact that they have a togh match ahead.

Should be a cracker.

Lance Free

Arch Winning (36)
Force team announced. Only one change - Dunning for Longbottom (injured).

2011 Super Rugby – Week 3

Emirates Western Force v Sharks
Saturday, 5 March 2010 at nib Stadium
7.05pm AWST

1. Pek Cowan
2. Ben Whittaker
3. Tim Fairbrother
4. Ben McCalman
5. Nathan Sharpe
6. Matt Hodgson
7. David Pocock
8. Richard Brown
9. Brett Sheehan
10. James O'Connor
11. David Smith
12. Gene Fairbanks
13. Mitch Inman
14. Nick Cummins
15. Cameron Shepherd

Reserves

16. Nathan Charles
17. Matt Dunning
18. Sam Wykes
19. Tevita Metuisela
20. James Stannard
21. Alfie Mafi
22. Rory Sidey

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Bloody decent team.

That back row against Daniel/Alberts/Kankowski should be a cracker.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Is pocock the force vc? I would really love to see him captain this year as I dont think Elsom is the man to lead us at the world cup.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Sharks chase Brutes Aus record
Sport24
Sharks chase Bulls Oz record

Johannesburg – A victory on Saturday in Perth over the Western Force will see the Sharks equal the record for most Super Rugby victories by a South African team against Australian opposition.

The Sharks have triumphed on 22 occasions against Australian opposition and the Bulls 23 times.

The Sharks have beaten the Brumbies seven times, the Reds six times, the Waratahs five times and the Force on four occasions.

On the negative side: Since 2006, the Sharks have lost more against Australian teams (11 times) than any of the other countries’ teams.

It is therefore not a foregone conclusion that the Sharks will on Saturday keep their unbeaten record in this year’s tournament intact.

Sharks coach John Plumtree admits that the Force is a difficult team.

“We have studied footage of their games for the past few days and we’ll have to be at our best to win here,” Plumtree said from Perth.

With James O’Connor and Cameron Shepherd there, the home side has a strong backline. However, they also have an experienced pack, including an international lock pairing and three Test players in the loose-trio.

The Sharks will also have to stand their ground on defence.

Together with the log-leading Waratahs they are the only side not to have conceded a try to date in this year’s tournament.

“Defence is just as important an area of the game as attack. Teams are becoming smarter on defence. They do not all pile into a ruck – only one or two players get involved at the breakdown when it’s obvious that opponents will get possession,” said Plumtree.

“The rest commit themselves to defence and that is why there are so few gaps to get through. Teams will have to find different ways of scoring tries.”

The Waratahs are the only side to have managed two bonus points for four or more tries in the first two weeks of the tournament.

chiraag

Larry Dwyer (12)
Sharks team announced:

1. Tendai Mtawarira
2. Bismarck du Plessis
3. Jannie du Plessis
4. Steven Sykes
5. Alistair Hargreaves
6. Keegan Daniel
7. Willem Alberts
8. Ryan Kankowski
9. Charl McLeod
10. Patrick Lambie
11. JP Pietersen
12. Meyer Bosman
13. Stefan Terblanche (c)
14. Odwa Ndungane
15. Louis Ludik

Replacements:
16. Craig Burden
17. John Smit
18. Anton Bresler
19. Jacques Botes
20. Conrad Hoffmann
21. Jacques-Louis Potgieter
22. Lwazi Mvovo

I'd like to think the teams match up pretty well, but the Force have the better of most positions on a player vs player basis except in the front row.
Therefore, the force to win it in a close encounter, with the home ground advantage also helping....unless the sharks pack gets on top during scrum time and use rolling maul and pick & drive tactics to good effect.

Here's to hoping that Ripia is good to go soon as well - I think the backline will look a lot more dangerous with him at 10 and JOC (James O'Connor) at 12

Go the force!!!

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
I agree. JOC (James O'Connor) would have too play unbelievably well to stay at ten all year.

The only reason is that willi has too fit in at 10 and JOC (James O'Connor) will be just as good at twelve. I'm not saying that willi is a better ten then JOC (James O'Connor).

Go the force!!!!

L

leeroy

I'm tipping the Force because I'm a member and have put my money where my mouth is

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The Sharks tight five will eat the Force's

Fat chance. Their locks are nuffies. You can't split these packs, however I think the Force have the better game plan. They can't lose this, the Sharks got nothing in attack.

minorbird

Tom Lawton (22)
About 8 min in and Force are up 3-0 courtesy of a O'Connor penalty kick from about 50 out.
Poor Mitch Inman looks to have dislocated his elbow...was not too good to look at.
To add to their misery, Force lose Pocock after conceding a converted try. 7-3 Sharks after 13 min.

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
That's the world cup gone (assuming we had a chance). He made the turnover and then dragged backwards.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Red card??? Are you fucking kidding??? Jesus.
I mean, that was 2 men, like the infamous BOD cleanout - it gets difficult if two are in there, and a player gets upended. Not trivialising the potential injury, but that was a problem because the second guy hit him too, I think.
Missed the Pocock thing - love to see a replay.

minorbird

Tom Lawton (22)
Red card to Rory Sidey for a spear tackle on Ndungane. It was pretty horrific...stretcher is being called out.

Status
Not open for further replies.