• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Foreign recruitment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antony

Alex Ross (28)
Shag Hansen has had a bit of a dig at the ARU for poaching kiwi players - some examples are listed in the article, and frankly they're pretty few and far between. For the sake of not starting a shit fight, and for an example of a much bigger culprit, England (Tuilagi, Waldrom etc.) might be a better situation for people to discuss.

Now obviously the source of the comments is ironic, given the long history of criticism leveled at the NZRU for doing the same thing to the Pacific Islands, but I was wondering what a place like this thought about it. There's a place for foreign marquee players, but is that the same thing as recruiting young players with an eye to them one day being nationally eligible?

Is this just a natural step in a now professional game? Is it worth it to strengthen clubs?

The article can be found here:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/all-blacks/7845837/Hansen-slams-Aussie-poaching-of-Kiwi-talent

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Shag Hansen has had a bit of a dig at the ARU for poaching kiwi players - some examples are listed in the article, and frankly they're pretty few and far between. For the sake of not starting a shit fight, and for an example of a much bigger culprit, England (Tuilagi, Waldrom etc.) might be a better situation for people to discuss.

Now obviously the source of the comments is ironic, given the long history of criticism leveled at the NZRU for doing the same thing to the Pacific Islands, but I was wondering what a place like this thought about it. There's a place for foreign marquee players, but is that the same thing as recruiting young players with an eye to them one day being nationally eligible?

Is this just a natural step in a now professional game? Is it worth it to strengthen clubs?

The article can be found here:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/all-blacks/7845837/Hansen-slams-Aussie-poaching-of-Kiwi-talent
I'd say it's just part of rugby now in order to remain competitive. You only have to look at some of our core players to see that we will take the players willing and able to play for Australia, i.e. Genia, Ioane, Pocock, Moore, Cooper.

Australia doesn't have the luxury of a factory line of players being pumped out, like what we see happening in New Zealand at a rate of knots, at least not at such an extent.

T

TOCC

Does the stupid prick realise almost 100'000 kiwis are moving to Australia annually... I suppose that is that ARU's fault as well

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
We get about 35,000 kiwis a year moving to Aus, it ain't unreasonable to think that one or two of them play rugby

Is Hanson suggesting Aus should discriminate against these new immigrants and not select them because they were born in New Zealand?

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
The rules regarding international representation are the same for every nation. Every tier 1 nation has benefited from the players born in other nations being able to represent them, NZ included. Don't see why any nation would not pick a player who's eligible to play for them if he's among the best players in his position from those available. The only time they shouldn't is if the player concerned has expressed their desire to play for another nation they are eligible to play for.

In short if the guy wants to play for you, the guy is eligible to be represent the country and the coach wants to pick him then nothing else matters.

In terms of Aus specifically I can't see how someone would say you're actively recruiting when the ARU imposes artificial restrictions on the number of foreign born players that can play their Rugby in Aus and eventually become eligible through residency.

Nelse

Chris McKivat (8)
It didn't seem to be a pressing issue after the first two Bledisloe matches this year. Storm in a teacup, Shag trying to delfect attention from what was a sub-par performence by the Darkness, where this was arguably the last match between them and going through the year with a clean record

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I'd say it's just part of rugby now in order to remain competitive. You only have to look at some of our core players to see that we will take the players willing and able to play for Australia, i.e. Genia, Ioane, Pocock, Moore, Cooper.

Australia doesn't have the luxury of a factory line of players being pumped out, like what we see happening in New Zealand at a rate of knots, at least not at such an extent.

Cross national qualification does not equal not Australian. Those 4 names highlighted are as Australian as anyone and claiming otherwise is ridiculous.

Cooper is more tenuous but even he moved over here due to his parents, not rugby opportunities.

Harris is pretty seedy but that's the Grandparent rule for you.

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
Hansen is looking increasingly like a jackass with his bleating. It will be interesting to see how their tour evolves.

teach

Trevor Allan (34)
Have a read of the article. He is not talking about playing for australia. he is talking about playing for Australian franchises. There is a difference.

"Hansen also wishes the Wallabies would blood more of their own players.
He is clearly annoyed by the Western Force recently signing ex-All Blacks halfback Alby Mathewson and Wellington's promising outside back Jason Woodward.​
When asked if the New Zealand Rugby Union had a "system breakdown" because talented players such as Harris were playing in Australia, Hansen replied:
"That's called Australia pinching our players - it's not a system breakdown."
While he said he did not begrudge Harris his decision to leave New Zealand to sign with the Queensland Reds, he was annoyed they continued to recruit Kiwi players instead of developing their own.
"I am pleased he [Harris] has achieved his dream ... what I find frustrating is that Australia is trying to build their game and put more franchises in place but all they are doing is putting franchises in place and stealing our players.
"They should get their own house in order and develop their own. There must be players there good enough.
"Australia has been a breeding ground for gun players for centuries."
Hansen noted past Wallaby home-grown stars such as the famous Ella brothers and Michael Hawker had served their country well.
"It's just too easy to come [to New Zealand] and say ‘Oh well, why don't you come over'."

He was just answering a question at a press conference where he slated the ABs for the way they played. One of the things I like about this guy is that he is clearly not one for mincing his words. He says what he thinks. This is more about Australia fielding too many franchises that they can't fill with homegrown players than players representing australia.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I guess he'd be equally annoyed about the players going to the Northern Hemisphere / Japan stripping the playing talent as well. Just hard to find a single host union to blame for all those, I guess. I expect he's keeping his powder dry until he gets there in a week or two.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I guess he'd be equally annoyed about the players going to the Northern Hemisphere / Japan stripping the playing talent as well. Just hard to find a single host union to blame for all those, I guess. I expect he's keeping his powder dry until he gets there in a week or two.

He's right to an extent I think but it's strange to take aim at Australia, why not France for taking them overseas or the polynesian islands?

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Haven't the All Blacks been draining Pacific Island talent for decades?! Is not the reason half of NZ live in Australia for employment opportunities?!

Have a whinge why don't you.

Steve Hansen is trying his best to deflect attention away from the result of the game, onto side issues. "We're outraged by Higger's cheap shot", "Stop stealing our players".... whinge whinge whinge whinge whinge.

The fact remains the All Blacks were held by an understrength Aus team. Suck it Hansen! Have fun trying to get that 'most consecutive wins in a row' record. haha

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Haven't the All Blacks been draining Pacific Island talent for decades?! Is not the reason half of NZ live in Australia for employment opportunities?!

As much as I enjoy your comment I'd say that at worst the PI take more Kiwis now and at best there's a symbiotic relationship going on.

You can't have half your team developing through Kiwi pathways and claim they're pitching your players.

teach

Trevor Allan (34)
Personally I have no problem with ex All Blacks, or players not good enough to make the NZ top tier playing in Australia. They make some money, they may suddenly be required for AB duty (though unlikely). And at the end of the day, they are taking a spot that an up and coming future Wallaby could be filling. Win win for NZ.

I keep hearing how NZ pillages the Pacific Islands. Which All Blacks were born and raised in the Pacific Islands? Maybe one of two who moved countries as a child, like Cooper. Sounds like Stephen Jones has a following down here. He never worried about letting the truth get in the way of good story.

Status
Not open for further replies.