• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

France v Australia, Saturday 19 November

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
scrubber2050 - I see more people being anti cheika no matter what than blind supporters of him.

Or in the terms you used more people find fault in everything he does than the ones who find no fault no matter what he does.

Good post.

There is another group of people who generally think he does a good job but are mildly critical of some decisions etc.

I've said it many times that I think Cheika is the best Australian candidate (at least until 2019 or until Stiles sticks his hand up after some very successful seasons at the Reds)

PeterK

Alfred Walker (16)
Good post.

There is another group of people who generally think he does a good job but are mildly critical of some decisions etc.

I've said it many times that I think Cheika is the best Australian candidate (at least until 2019 or until Stiles sticks his hand up after some very successful seasons at the Reds)

I am in that group.

Stiles would have to wait until after the next rwc anyway.

Personally they should choose the best coach available regardless of nationality.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
then I wish so much pointless bleating about cheika wouldn't happen.

Why are the discussions on Cheika pointless ?

Everyone is open to criticism, players, coaches, assistants.

Particularly with the win/loss ratio he currently enjoys.

I accept he is there for the forseeable future. If a Grand Slam is won definitely to RWC 2019 and probably beyond.

But in the alternative (and I hate to say it) he loses several games in a row (or close to it) he will be under immense pressure. Suppose it is fortunate that the mid year tests are all very very winnable.

PeterK

Alfred Walker (16)
Why are the discussions on Cheika pointless ?

Everyone is open to criticism, players, coaches, assistants.

Particularly with the win/loss ratio he currently enjoys.

Sure when it is about selections for actual games, tactics.

Far too much is about what he said in the media, in press conferences, that he is displaying his emotions in the coach's box, etc.

It is more like a women's tea party gossiping than discussing rugby properly.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Sure when it is about selections for actual games, tactics.

Far too much is about what he said in the media, in press conferences, that he is displaying his emotions in the coach's box, etc.

It is more like a women's tea party gossiping than discussing rugby properly.

Wow - I would have thought that the vast majority of any criticism leveled at Chek have been about selections

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Yes I did not expect this many changes but will sit on the fence on cheika making these changes as yes I could see if he chopped and changed week to week how people on here would be out for blood. Opportunity to see how these players selected go and on long tour like this I can at least see why he may have done this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Neither did I but looking at the side from the same set he could have started with and there would have been just different complaints, possibly a stronger "A" side but with a light bench

15 Luke Morahan,
14 Sefanaia Naivalu,
13 Tevita Kuridrani,
12 Bernard Foley,
11 Henry Speight,
10 Quade Cooper,
9 Will Genia,
8, Lopeti Timani
7 David Pocock (c),
6 Scott Fardy,
5 Rob Simmons,
4 Kane Douglas,
3 Allan Ala'alatoa,
2 Stephen Moore
1 Scott Sio

Cheika (like the ABs) is prone is these games to load his bench, let the newbies get the experience of starting a test match but load the bench just is case. Remove Skelton from the list and it is a solid bench

PeterK

Alfred Walker (16)
Wow - I would have thought that the vast majority of any criticism leveled at Chek have been about selections

I did say selections for actual games. Far too much whinging about players selected in touring squads. Players are always selected for development, evaluation with no intention of selection.

But fair point.

That said I don't think anyone is happy with all the selections of any coach.

So much energy is spent on 1 or 2 selections that is disagreed with, including me in this, which I understand. But to then attack Cheika because of that disagreement is a step too far. The whole bias , conspiracy thing. The questioning of his intelligence, rugby knowledge and understanding because of it. In most cases just because 1 or 2 players from your state were overlooked.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Yes I did not expect this many changes but will sit on the fence on cheika making these changes as yes I could see if he chopped and changed week to week how people on here would be out for blood. Opportunity to see how these players selected go and on long tour like this I can at least see why he may have done this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree RN. When Cheika chopped and changed our second row players earlier this year lots of people wanted his blood. Some of the criticism was absolutely feral - along the lines of "how can an international coach be so stupid that he doesn't know who his best team is?"

And now Cheika is running out his B team and people accuse him of devaluing the jersey and suggesting he should have swapped out a few players each week if he wanted to rest players.

No one has satisfactorily explained why the world coach of the year rested most of his team against Italy and didn't devalue the All Black jersey. The closest anyone went to try to do it was suggesting that Hanson "picked the team to win" as though Cheika has picked this team to lose. Tin foil hat stuff.

People are saying that this French team is very good based on a big win against Samoa. They were very poor last year in the 6N and shared the two games against the Argies in the Autumn internationals. They might be on the up, or Samoa might be on the way down. But one thing is for sure, if they are not the weakest team we will play on the EOYT, they would have to be very close to it. Ergo, Cheika has chosen this game as the game he will play the dirt-trackers. As he did against Uruguay in RWC2015.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Or in the terms you used more people find fault in everything he does than the ones who find no fault no matter what he does.

And he's human. So he will make some mistakes anyway. You have to rate a coach on the balance of his record and the talent available to him at the time. Nobody's perfect, not even Ealesy.

T

TOCC

Now its emerged that Cheika sounded out James O'Connor about his availability to play for the Wallabies in the Spring Tour.. seriously, what the fuck is that about?

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Now its emerged that Cheika sounded out James O'Connor about his availability to play for the Wallabies in the Spring Tour.. seriously, what the fuck is that about?

I think he was sounded out to play for the Aussie Barbarians, which I am not averse to. He is not eligible to play for Australia because he doesn't have 60 tests and he doesn't have a current Super contract.

But if he's managed to grow up a bit in his time at Toulon, I'd be happy to see him come home. The guy has talent but has lacked maturity to date.

Status
Not open for further replies.