• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

France v Australia, Saturday 19 November

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I just want to point out to those that said that France did it to us so suck eggs to them. If you're referring to the 2014 June Test series it was rumoured that France were sending a largely B side but as it turned out they ended up sending their best squad minus one guy from memory. We still flogged them but it wasn't because they sent their 'B's.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
This has got nothing to do wit FRU doing it to us first.
Clearly this is a Test Cheika is will to risk,to enhance the chances of a slam.

He couldn't give two fucks about getting square for the corporate boys in the ARU.

If you agree wirpth Cheika that the French should be ranked well below Ireland & England,and that thus doesn't 'cheapen' the jersey. Fair enough.
I just don't agree with either.
I am suggesting that cheika's bosses are ok with French being screwed over - as you do understand who cheika reports to I assume?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
giphy.gif

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I am suggesting that cheika's bosses are ok with French being screwed over - as you do understand who cheika reports to I assume?

Cheika could not give two eggs getting square with French rugby union but in wanting to change 11 players against a top 10 side I am sure he would need to clear it with his bosses!

And hence I am sure there were discussions well in advance with his bosses on what game would rest players... clearly main focus on resting players but I suggest if French had shown more respect by sending best sides to oz in past (where hurts aru financially where they don't) they might have perhaps not changed so many of starting 15.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Cheika could not give two eggs getting square with French rugby union but in wanting to change 11 players against a top 10 side I am sure he would need to clear it with his bosses!

And hence I am sure there were discussions well in advance with his bosses on what game would rest players. clearly main focus on resting players but I suggest if French had shown more respect by sending best sides to oz in past (where hurts aru financially where they don't) they might have perhaps not changed so many of starting 15.

I'm not sure that the French really care who we pick. They seem as surprised as many on this thread, but they don't seem to have taken it as any sort of slight. Just bemused in a typically French way I suspect.
http://www.lequipe.fr/Rugby/Actuali...-xv-de-depart-pour-affronter-la-france/750201

http://www.lemonde.fr/rugby/article...ur-affronter-l-australie_5030855_1616937.html

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Came here to say still too many tahs but you beat me to it ;)
As a result of the Arbib report into ARU Governance the veto powers of the NSW Bloc, and to a degree the QLD bloc, no longer shape ARU decision making.

While the ARU were quick to adopt the "new" model, many on here struggle to move with the times and any Wallaby/ARU anything is simply an opportunity to get the Tin Foil Hat and Pitchfork out, no matter what the issue is: Coach, assistant coach, game plan, selections, training polivy, S&C, Lineouts calling, boot sponsor, ability under the high ball, approval of business partner, membership package options, whatever.... ... ...

Haters gotta hate. It is somewhere in the Constitution, and if not, it's the vibe. That's it.

I say get over it.

Get behind the Men in Gold. It is the only National Rugby Team that we have. Shit happens. "You Can't Always Get What You Want" - Jagger, M, Richards, K. (1969) Let It Bleed, Decca Records.

Go you Good Things.

MC is not the Messiah. He might be a Naughty Boy, but he is our Naughty Boy, and we need to get behind him. When the next bloke gets the Wobs gig, we should get behind them regardless of the state they were born in, what school they went to, the club they played for, or Super Rugby club that may have been associated with.

The biggest anchor that Australian Rugby has when it comes to the Wallabies is the fan and their parochialism.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^And his mate that assisted to write the report, General Sir Peter Cosgrove, hero of Dili, and QLD Cyclone recovery efforts, and current Governer General, went to a Private School in NSW. Luckily it wasn't an AAGPS school. Luckily he chose a career in the AUSTRALIAN Defence Force. Luckily he served the Australian people while posted in many states and territories in Australia.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I've been an unashamed supporter of Cheika since he hit the deck. Even if he chose players he was familiar with over form players. Even if he pulled unexpected selections - Pooper, double 10. And yes, there is no alternative. But no, this doesnt mean criticsm might not be justified.

Right now he's loosing me.

I had no problem with him running an A team and a B team at the RWC. Didnt even mind if certain players that I thought should be A team, and well Cheika didnt agree.

What I'm concerned with is the aparent lack of planning. "Oh shit, we have to treat Ireland like England, where the hell is my B team for France?"

Yep, the Barbarian players may always have been intended as a source to draw on. But Godwin? Morahan? Not commenting anout these blokes ability, just where they fit in the plan.

Add in Pfitzies popcorn meme, yeah right bloke, players called in to an unexpected B team, what the hell could their fans have to complain about?

Right now, if Cheika is shitting gold eggs, they definitely are too small.

I'm just not seeing a plan. I'm not seeing any evidence of an intended B team untill "hell, where is it?" And I do see coming, from TWAS' flower conspiracy, "ah look we tried those guys, they proved to be not up to it." Wrong. Also wrong is the thought that if we win, Cheika is a genious. Hell no, just a very lucky boy.

No, I'm not switching off on Cheika, but I see no evidence of him being in control for this EOYT.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Has anyone added up the French team caps? Seems like they are fielding a lot of inexperienced players and could easily have less overall caps in their team than we do.

I also don't think it is the biggest issue for either team. Some of the players with less than 10 caps will be more up to it than those with 50+.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
But does every rugby fan even know what a grand slam is, let alone be consumed by it?

The "grand slam" is a relic of the amateur era when teams from Australia, New Zealand and South Africa would undertake a lengthy tour of the British Isles - much like a Lions tour. Lead-up and mid-week games against county teams, Cambridge, Oxford and combined university teams. Usually a visit to Buckingham Palace for afternoon tea with the Queen as well.

It's simly an anachronism to be talking about a "grand slam" which involves losing one test out of five - apparently because the opposition don't speak English. It so bizarre that it's almost surreal.
I think any rugby fan is aware of it. It has been mentioned a lot. I agree the concept of the "Home Unions" and a grand slam is anachronistic but it is still a thing.

I'd almost guarantee that if you're an Aussie rugby fan and you're not aware of the grand slam tour you're even less aware that there is a test on Sunday morning against France.

Antony

Alex Ross (28)
This thread is brutal and entertaining, but you're all criticising/defending a loss that hasn't happened yet. This is France (outside of a knock-out game against us) and they played well last week - there's almost zero per cent risk of them crying during the anthems, so you're fine.

Wallabies to win, McMahon to seize his opportunity as always and Tolu Latu to start pushing his case to be Wallabies first choice hooker in 2017.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If people really think this Wallabies team is no chance and you like a punt, the game is not a long way off even money.

I'm intrigued by Cooper's non involvement this week. Is it injury or illness and was it a reason behind minimal involvement against Wales and none against Scotland?

Edit: ARU article says Cooper hurt the ankle on Tuesday at training.

Also Timani is off the bench so Skelton remains in the 23. I disagree with it pretty strongly. I kind of feel for the bloke because he is running on fumes as far as goodwill with Aussie rugby fans is concerned and needs to improve dramatically otherwise that may never recover.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
He has collected a few cards hasn't he?

A capable player but this propensity could prevent him from achieving his career asoirations..

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
OK what about this scenario Reg. We win this weekend and there are a couple of stellar performances from the B graders. He then backs these couple of blokes and they go shithouse against Ireland and we lose. So he goes back to last week's team and we beat England.

I think we should wait for hypotheticals like those to play out before we comment.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.