• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

France v Wallabies (RWC Warm-up), 28/8 1.45AM AEST

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
I'm also leaning on the ESPN stats. I guess it's just easy to find them.

Team stats suggest to me that the EJ (Eddie Jones) (Eddie Jones) strategy/game play is working - he's done pretty much what I would hope for. Not convinced?
Aus possession: 55%/50%
Aus territory: 63%/59%
Note that it didn't seem that we often won the kicking battle but still achieved those figures.
Rucks 95% (v France 92%)

We are in the right part of the field and with enough possession, with adequate ruck work to put the team into a position to win.

I felt that our lineout had reverted to hopeless, but based on the stats not so bad. Our scrum was dominating though not a lot of opportunity for it in the game.

Arnold is getting a kicking here, I thought his ruck-work was fabulous especially in the first 30, though he achieved little in the hard yards taking it up the guts.

Gordon's tackle count clearly shows a tactical win buy the French who targeted him. I'd hope that our D training looks at it more closely.

Some nice developments:
1. in spite the positive thoughts around certain reds supporters over Vunivalu's effectiveness this year, he finally stepped up to the plate wearing gold.
2. Tupou left the field without injury and nothing happened to suggest that we will be highly compromised by Nongorr taking the field.
3. Big Will's first captaincy was fine.
4. McReight held a steady quality and actually got better I thought, through the game.
5. While I might have preferred getting them on earlier, Gleeson, IFS and Donaldson looked settled at this level. Hooper has remained settled. I'd say the same about Kellaway though note fans have been expecting bigger things from him than I am.

Problems:
1. Kicking for points
2. Lineout
3. Maul
4. Discipline - at the end the penalty count was pretty even, but we gifted territory and possession with back to back penalties.

Remove the back-to-back discipline issue and solve the kicking and we would be going close. Against a full strength France at home.

The stats very much support the feeling I had watching that the Wallabies could have gotten more out of that game.

Yes, lineout creaked a bit which was disappointing as were our mauls that we got little pay from.

I would have liked the subs on earlier also. We've seen little of Gleeson & Donaldson. At least IFS got a run in the Aus A's. Though I can understand Eddie potentially wanting to get some more game time into more of his likely starters for the RWC.

I didn't get a chance the first time watching, but I'm interested to look more closely at our defensive setup... actually just our setup in general. I feel like some players are potentially carrying a little too much of the work load. Bell to my eye appears to be doing a little look much of the heavy lifting (carrying). I don't know if this is because Tupou is being insulated a little with his return from injury, but as a team we just feels a little unbalanced. It felt more balanced (scrum aside) with Pone on in the game against NZ.

Kellaway is looking better. He still looked a little underdone, hesitant in his last game. Foketi and Petaia need to be more involved, better brought into the game. I remember seeing Foketi early on and then it felt like he just faded out. Even a Kerevi not back to his best has offered a lot more. The French got so much more out of Danty.

I'm really curious who he decides to run out against Georgia.

With Fiji having a pretty good kicker with Caleb Muntz and Wales with a plethora of options in Costelow, Biggar, Ascombe, Halfpenny etc.. all solid off the tee, we really need Gordon to start slotting his shots.

Reactions: dru

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Reece Hodge's defense is a massive liability. Gordon is by far the better defender. Not only that, but he's better at defending than Quade and Foley as well. It's ludicrous to think otherwise.
What is ludicrous is to think that going into a RWC campaign with one 10, a three test rookie, makes any sense at all. As said, I like Gordon and think he should be there but at this stage he should be coming off the bench and starting the lesser pool games.
Look what happened to Noah L. He was introduced too early and crashed and burned. It seems we never learn from our mistakes

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
The biggest concern for me, having now watched the game, is that France easily took us apart and hardly cracked 2nd gear. The good things the Wallabies did were at least balanced out by some pretty poor stuff in defence and discipline. Plus, we just have to kick goals better than that. If Gordon cannot do that then someone else starting needs to, and there does not seem to be anyone. I like Gordon in other facets of his game but this is a glaring hole that I can't see us filling at the moment.
I can't say I'm too enthralled with what's to come.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
The stats very much support the feeling I had watching that the Wallabies could have gotten more out of that game.

Yes, lineout creaked a bit which was disappointing as were our mauls that we got little pay from.

I would have liked the subs on earlier also. We've seen little of Gleeson & Donaldson. At least IFS got a run in the Aus A's. Though I can understand Eddie potentially wanting to get some more game time into more of his likely starters for the RWC.

I didn't get a chance the first time watching, but I'm interested to look more closely at our defensive setup... actually just our setup in general. I feel like some players are potentially carrying a little too much of the work load. Bell to my eye appears to be doing a little look much of the heavy lifting (carrying). I don't know if this is because Tupou is being insulated a little with his return from injury, but as a team we just feels a little unbalanced. It felt more balanced (scrum aside) with Pone on in the game against NZ.

Kellaway is looking better. He still looked a little underdone, hesitant in his last game. Foketi and Petaia need to be more involved, better brought into the game. I remember seeing Foketi early on and then it felt like he just faded out. Even a Kerevi not back to his best has offered a lot more. The French got so much more out of Danty.

I'm really curious who he decides to run out against Georgia.

With Fiji having a pretty good kicker with Caleb Muntz and Wales with a plethora of options in Costelow, Biggar, Ascombe, Halfpenny etc.. all solid off the tee, we really need Gordon to start slotting his shots.

French did seem to make some easy yards through our D, but we did take it back when we had the ball. Thought there were some communication issues in D between the outside/fullback and the centres. Maybe that just needs more time.

I'm sort of resigned to the 0-5 at this stage. God knows though, I won't be happy if it isn't turned around in the RWC proper.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Just had a flick through the french forums. They were pretty despondent for the first half. Thinking Villiere, Jalibert and Penaud were absolute liabilities in defense. Especially Villiere. Some were also calling for a yellow card for Villiere, he leads shoulder first in a dive on Vunivalu well after Vuni scored. They're all rather nervous for their first game against NZ with their aerial attack.

Overtime

Herbert Moran (7)
Watching the replay with mum. She thinks that Lonergan should be starting half back even though he is not in the 33. She says not only does he have a crisp pass from the ruck but he is an incredibly reliable goal kicker. Full disclosure mum is a Tah's supporter. I am not disagreeing with her.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Reece Hodge's defense is a massive liability. Gordon is by far the better defender. Not only that, but he's better at defending than Quade and Foley as well. It's ludicrous to think otherwise.
Hodge is a fantastic defender and tackler, he’s just pretty bad everywhere else (including kicking).

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
French did seem to make some easy yards through our D, but we did take it back when we had the ball. Thought there were some communication issues in D between the outside/fullback and the centres. Maybe that just needs more time.

I'm sort of resigned to the 0-5 at this stage. God knows though, I won't be happy if it isn't turned around in the RWC proper.

Yes. Our players can tackle, we've put on some good defensive performances. It's just structurally something doesn't seem entirely right. Is it comms, combos, the structure itself or just a player here or there failing in their role.

My expectations are well tempered also, but we also have a draw that offers a lot of potential. I just see so many work ons unlike other teams who are honing and finessing aspects of their setup, while we still seem to be taking a step forward in places but back in others.

I will say that if we loose to Georgia I might be testing ASIC's return policy.

Reactions: dru

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Lonergan seems like a poor fix for goalkicking. Or at least, only a partial fix.

Such a dire position to be in. Do we opt for a functional attack with no goal kicking or a dysfunctional attack with a relatively reliable goal kicker. Or somehow shoe horn Hodge in somewhere?

Ship has long sailed but I still can't believe we've thrown Noah aside completely.

Digestif Palu

Stan Wickham (3)
What is ludicrous is to think that going into a RWC campaign with one 10, a three test rookie, makes any sense at all. As said, I like Gordon and think he should be there but at this stage he should be coming off the bench and starting the lesser pool games.
Look what happened to Noah L. He was introduced too early and crashed and burned. It seems we never learn from our mistakes
That’s not how I remember Noah’s treatment at all. We came out of the last World Cup with 0 incumbent 10s in the country. Actually we went into 2019 with no real incumbent 10 and just said fuck it, Christian is at least tough. JOC (James O'Connor) returned from the wilderness but without any of the attributes that originally made him such a good player and we were in dire need of developing at least one younger 10. Lolesio was given a starting debut against NZ after some bench games (this might be wrong but didn’t he get 0 minutes from the bench on his first game?). To absolutely no one’s surprise we lost and he was average. He was then immediately dropped. Got inconsistent chances from there. Started all the games in the France series? Which we won, he played well in and in hindsight was probably Rennie’s high point. Was later dropper and told to work on physicality? Ended up not even starting for the Brumbies for much of this year.

The difference for me is Eddie is backing Gordon and giving him consecutive games in the saddle with his full support. I agree he should have an experienced player to help with this load but our experienced 10s were passed it 4 years ago and had literally gone to Japan with no thought to playing for Aus again. Quade and Foley both had their moments but I don’t think you can wind back the clock.

I don’t have a strong opinion on our on field play during Rennie’s tenure but I feel very strongly about the absolute mud pie he made of some of our young players coming through. Especially at 10, where it could not be clearer that we needed to develop someone. It’s impossible to say obviously but Lolesio at worst could have been a really solid 10 for us. Instead we were somehow in a worse place 4 years later. I currently believe Eddie isn’t making the same mistakes but I hope he’s not just doing the same thing in a different way.

I always thought Hodge was a 10 or nothing, in the vein of Farrel mind you. It’s where he grew up playing and looked best to me but that’s completely irrelevant.

Just thinking now, I’m no Lolesio fan but I’d take him over Donaldson every day on this years form. Not to mention his experience at this level. Strange he wasn’t on Eddie’s radar at all.

Linerunner2023

Fred Wood (13)
You're talking as if he's Dan Carter or something. Outside of a bizarre Covid tournament with all games at home and 2 opponents that hadn't trained let alone play rugby all year, please show me all these World class performances from him

World cups are won by good teams that have built experience over a number of years. Not by bringing in every mid 30's flyhalf from Japan
You have just completely contradicted yourself here
This is why I think your Eddie jones
Saying you need to build a team with experience over years
So why is Quade dropped and carter gorden there will a massive 5 test matches ?

Linerunner2023

Fred Wood (13)
Like the direction he showed in Pretoria? or vs Argentina? I must be a hater for pointing things out
It wasn’t just Quade who played against these teams, he played okay and wasn’t the one on the wing conceding 3 tries or in the forward pack getting driven back

Eddie went from winning all bled cup and rugby champs games to now saying they don’t matter
He is none from 5 and getting worse every bloody week
Quade beat the boks of his kicking in 2021. And had he started v nz we may have won that as gorden missed easy kicks

you are just a Quade hater/ hooper hater
These so called new guys are not doing any better in fact worse then what we have

dusk

Cyril Towers (30)
Do you think i agree with the decision of bring one (actually 2 but whatever) 10s? I always said Quade should go along but fuck me he is not our lord and saviour. We are not going to win a semi-final against the boks/ireland whether Quade or Gordon is playing. Your comparison to Noah L is purely speculation. You want to talk about mistakes? We have relied on average mid-30 year olds to try and save the wallabies yet we make no progress. Would much rather see Gordon get a crack and i don't think he's there if the staff don't think he can handle it.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Apparently not. TBF France directed almost all of their close in attack down Gordons channel, as all other teams in this RWC will. For this reason having a bigger body like Hodge or a more accomplished 10 as another option on the bench would just be plain smart.
We cannot be happy going into this tournament knowing we have no chance just in the name of building for the future. The time for this is in a couple of months when the dust from this RWC has settled.
It is not a bad plan to make the opposing 10 near the top tackle count, my concern is the lack of reaction from the team

Why didn't one of the backrowers make a better decision and adapt

Mr Pilfer

Bob Loudon (25)
The use of the bench was very frustrating, the game was already gone and risking injuries. Just get Gleeson, Leota, Fines etc on earlier to see what they can do.

Maybe some credit can go to Eddie though for strategically picking Vunivalu and switching him to the wing against the smaller French winger?

we are 0-5 but hopefully can take a positive in the fact we have played most of the best teams so we know where we stand. We could have done what Argentina did and pump someone like Spain to get some confidence up but hopefully this benefits us against Wales, Fiji etc.