• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

France vs Wallabies, EOYT 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I am liking the progression of the Barnes and Cooper combo at 10/12. The only think I would like to see different is for Barnes to get into first receiver more in tight situations (eg start of the game and deep in our own half). This is where Cooper sometimes goes missing, and having him with a little more space wider when the defense is in the face of the 10 could work well to break down the opponents.

D

daz

Dragged this little gem from Wayne Smith at the Australian/Foxsports:

"Aside from the scrum, still lurking in the background like an 885kg gorilla, this was as close to a perfect display as the Wallabies have produced in the three-year Robbie Deans era. They missed only five tackles, allowed France not a single linebreak, won every lineout and stole one of France's, goalkicker James O'Connor missed only two of 12 attempts and for once showed great patience and discipline in try-scoring situations."

I am just going to assume Wayne has his facts right here (and watching the game, it looks about right). If this is correct, does this not address some of the major concerns I have seen floating around the forum recently? I am not turning a blind eye to the deficiencies and I know we would all like to see this week in/week out, but how about this for answering our concerns:

Missed tackle count + Nil line breaks = Brutish, disciplined, desperate defense.
2/12 goal kicks = 83%. About as good as we could ever hope to see.
Patience and Discipline (ball in play/phases) = Finally knowing when to go and when to hold. (Well done QC (Quade Cooper)!) And when we went, whoo boy, what a sight!

Scrum = Well, ok, you got me there. Awful first 40. At least they started to hold in the second 40 with the switcheroo between Slipper and Robinson.

My point is that we have been screaming for this kind of display all year. We have had games (both won and lost) where we got one or the other. Finally we got the game where nearly all that is "best" of Wallaby rugby was on show.

Whether we are genuine RWC11 contenders remains to be seen, but for me right now, I'm just "watching what's in front of me"......! :)

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Yes, quite agree Daz. Apart from the scrum, I don't think we could have asked for any more from the boys than they delivered. Seven tries are not scored from playing crap footy and neither is not letting the opposition anywhere near our try line in general play.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I am liking the progression of the Barnes and Cooper combo at 10/12. The only think I would like to see different is for Barnes to get into first receiver more in tight situations (eg start of the game and deep in our own half). This is where Cooper sometimes goes missing, and having him with a little more space wider when the defense is in the face of the 10 could work well to break down the opponents.

One of Deans comments in the post game interviews was that they have been focusing on playing straighter and how that gave the space on the edges

T

TheTruth

Jeez there are some esteemed posters on G&G with heaps of egg on their faces after Frog game.

"Oh ye of little faith"

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I got up early, nursing the hangover from hell from Friday night, showing either great faith that the Wallabies would strike form, or mild mental retardation. I got no eggs (facial or otherwise), but a nice cuppa tea, and a good Wallaby performance.
One outing does not a renaissance make.
I will be happy to wear an omelette (preferably with some nice smoked ham and cracked pepper) if we enter a Golden Age. But not yet.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
I've just watched an MP4 of the second half - very entertaining stuff. A few errors were made but the Wallabies were playing high-risk rugby, and just ignored them instead of losing composure.

Some players looked a lot better second time round. McCalman in particular hit it up many times in tight to good effect. Also Gits produced a pearler of a pass in the Bieber try.

The French actually produced a lot of good attack, but were contained.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I too, was concerned with mild mental retardation. Thankfully the Wobs managed to avoid it and so did my mates by bringing coffee and bacon and egg rolls...

I'll agree with cyclo, I'm almost glad there's no rugby for a while so we can actually live on this for a while instead of coming back next week and flagellating once more about how we can never do anything with any consistency, how the boys went missing when it was tight etc. But this result was one of the best of recent times for mine; mostly because we didn't take the foot off and we actually put a team away once it looked like we had the game in the bag. How many times have we all cried about a massive failure in that regard? It's another promising step, but I don't think it's much more.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
What about some smoked salmon and dill on omelette?

Seriously though what will define our next Golden Age? How will we know that we are in in?

Bill back home for a 4 year stay in ARU Bunker in St Leonards is obviously a Key Indicator.

But what if that is all we have to have to define the Golden Age ?

What if we have everything except Bill? Bledisloe, Mandela, Cook, Bicentennial, Lansdowne, etc and 3N. A silver Age ?

What importance would S15 trophy have? and IRB 7's, U20 RWC, Womens RWC, Comm Games 7's Gold, Schoolboy's victory over Darkness Schoolboys?

Is our next Golden Age defined by something more esoteric than simple trophies? Increase in Player and Crowd numbers, x% of Wobs selected in World XV's, TV contracts for coverage, Establishment of a viable third tier competition, Cash reserves at ARU, S15 franchise and Premier club level.

Many of these are linked, Won't get increase in cash reserves without increase in crowd numbers. Wont get increased TV exposure without viable and exciting competitions.

For myself, I think if we have Bill, we win and succeed in holding the Bled, (the 3N trophy will almost comes automatically if we hold Bled) and a S15 Title would make me happy. This would bring in the other satisfiers (Crowd numbers up (Saffer and Darkness tests sold out), most S15 games to >3/4 full stadiums, ARU and NSWRU making a genuine profit, increase in Junior Development officers).

Lastly the Golden Age will be identified when JO'N gets rid of miked up singers for the National Anthem, and the Crowd stands as one and spontaneously belts out Advance Australia Fair to the accompaniment of the Australian Army Band.

D

daz

For myself, I think if we have Bill, we win and succeed in holding the Bled, (the 3N trophy will almost comes automatically if we hold Bled) and a S15 Title would make me happy. This would bring in the other satisfiers (Crowd numbers up (Saffer and Darkness tests sold out), most S15 games to >3/4 full stadiums, ARU and NSWRU making a genuine profit, increase in Junior Development officers).

Just out of interest, when we won Bill in 91 and 99, did we also meet those criteria? We all fondly think of those teams as a golden age (particulary when things are going bad currently), but was it really all beer and skittles back then? Or are we unrealistically dreaming about some utopian golden age that is really mythical fairytale?

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Just out of interest, when we won Bill in 91 and 99, did we also meet those criteria? We all fondly think of those teams as a golden age (particulary when things are going bad currently), but was it really all beer and skittles back then? Or are we unrealistically dreaming about some utopian golden age that is really mythical fairytale?

RWCs are few and far between. If we were to come 2nd in the RWC but then win three successive Bleds (and by extension a few T-Ns) then I think we'd be very happy.

Added to that is the way the team plays. The 198x Wallabies didn't win a world cup, but that was certainly a golden age.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
well the world cup didnt exist until 87...

That's the one they didn't win. 86 was a golden year, perhaps the golden year for Australian rugby. I can still remember the bourbon and stimulant fueled hangover after failing to get that result. :(

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
we were great, equally France were pretty dismal.

Right on both counts Noddy. I didn't expect the biggest defeat of France at home ever, and as you indicate: both sides were responsible for it.

Many have written about the Oz side of the story. It was a bit of a fairy tale - but it was a tragedy for France.

From the France point of view: as one mentioned before the match their selections were curious; so whatever selection game Lièvremont was playing failed miserably.

The flyhalf choice of Traille, who I described as playing like a cow at the piano in the position for Biarritz in the past, was bizarre, and he couldn't get players running off him which seemed to be the plan. Nor did his team benefit from his long punts, though some went high. This should be the last we see of him at flyhalf for France and I wouldn't be surprised if that was his last game for them in any position.

It was difficult for his midfield to play without a real no. 10, but even taking that into account they were ordinary. I mentioned before the game that the use of winger Rougerie at 13 was odd, though he had played there for Clermont, and he just looked like a big boofhead, and not a very fast one.

12. Jauzion was the huge under-achiever. He is usually a class player and was at the top of his form for Toulouse in the Top14 before the test match - and had a good 6N earlier in 2010. But he never troubled our guys, who rushed him and Rougerie all the time. The big boppers were big floppers. Our players even made rising star scrummie Parra look ordinary.

I wrote that our back three would be better than the three they selected; so I got that part right. There were some fine players who France overlooked that won't be for 6N, but it wouldn't have mattered who they selected at wing or fullback on the night.

It must have been galling for the Paris crowd to see the Aussie backs play like theirs have in the past, and theirs like ours have much too often in the last decade. Philippe Sella, the great French centre, who was at the ground, must have writhed in his seat seeing Wallabies doing what he and fullback Serge Blanco did so often to all comers.

He must have been appalled at the passing of the French backs. It was though they were passing a bomb from hand to hand instead of a ball.

The French scrum was better than ours as expected. Outside of the that the forwards performed better than the backs, but not by a lot. Some had a dig. Chabal was like Cliffy Palu on the charge in the first half and hooker Servat earned his pay. Servat's injury was significant because Szarzewski was injured and 3rd string hooker Guirado was like a rabbit in the headlights. Flanker and skipper, Dusautoir, had a lot of good moments around the park but not coming off his line to tackle earlier than he did when Genia scored wasn't one of them.

Harinordoquy was missed. He was MOTM against Fiji IIRR , yet got dumped from the 22 two weeks later. They missed him in the lineouts too. I'm not sure how much longer the left and right flankers Dusautoir and Ouedraogo will be paired for France. Ouedraogo is a linking player who duplicates what Dusautoir does but lacks the harder game of the skipper. Hairy Donkey would have been a better bet at 6 and has played there with effect when Picamoles has been at 8.

It was a piss poor effort from the 6N Grand Slammers and they deserve to be in disarray. Coach Lièvremont has used over 80 players since he got hired before the 2008 6N and apart from a 6N Grand Slam earlier in the year the returns from using so many players has been meagre. He has to pick a consistent team starting in 6N and treat it like a mini RWC.

sudrugby

Watty Friend (18)
I think you have made a great summary of the situation. But as usual our coaches are complaining about the rhythm in the Top 14 (plus the H Cup) as a reason for this disaster. Injuries as well.
Lievremont said that all the Aussie players were playing in only three teams (that shows his lack of knowledge of Australia) which can explain why they know each other that well. He could have done the same by selecting Toulouse backline but he preferred selecting players from 6 different teams for the 7 back positions! I've read that Emile N'Tamack was offering his demission.

The only hope for France is that Clerc, Medard, Poitrenaud, Bastareaud, Heymans, Fritz, Mermoz, Beauxis, Picamolles, Nallet & Harinordoquy were not in the team!

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I agree with you both.

Servat was doing very well until he went off injured, which coincided with the improvement in the scrum fortunes of the Wallabies (France got worse and Oz got better).

When Chabal was substituted the French folded. He is tough and determined, and a guy who can pick up the ball from the back of a ruck and make metres even when the defence is set.

Harinordoquy, Dusautoir and Chabal would ahve been a more formidable back 3. Nallet would have made some difference too

Ouedraogo was not great - a poorer version of Dusuautoir.

The backs were disappointing.

Of course they are more than capable of turning it around and surprising everyone.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
One of Deans comments in the post game interviews was that they have been focusing on playing straighter and how that gave the space on the edges

When he said 'focus on playing straighter' do you think he was really saying 'dropping Giteau'?

Scotty

David Codey (61)
RWCs are few and far between. If we were to come 2nd in the RWC but then win three successive Bleds (and by extension a few T-Ns) then I think we'd be very happy.

Added to that is the way the team plays. The 198x Wallabies didn't win a world cup, but that was certainly a golden age.

The Wallabies winning the world cup will do more for rugby in this country than winning a few Sloe's. Like it or not the rugby world revolves around the world cup, and that is where the real exposure for our game comes from (in a marketing perspective).

Status
Not open for further replies.