• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Galloping Greens

Status
Not open for further replies.

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
They will sneak into the finals, I think Eastwood, Uni and Manly will be much to strong for the current side but they are a chance against the others (Souths,wests, norths, rats)
Hope they do, despite all this debate Wade Kelly must be applauded for the changes that have been implemented and the overall state of the Club. I hate the old cliché "we are in a rebuilding phase" and hope that they can kick on for the rest of the year and achieve a positive result this season. The age and talent in the team is impressive - still, they must win games. I can't pinpoint why they are down, although they have lost a number of games by the narrowest of margins - e.g Warringah twice by 1 point! Perhaps that means they will be better for the experience and ready to shine next year.

TARANTINO

Stan Wickham (3)
I think that there has been a marked improvement on last year with a eye for the future as coach suggests. Munro, Horwitz, Boileau, Reni, Heptema, samu. All could have played colts or were at school last year. Also Roy, Norton, Pennington, Johnson and Jessie Harris are colts who have been blooded in 1s and 2's.

Not sure that its an exclusive club up the top - Tristan Goodbody who played the majority of last year in 3s and 4's has been picked in the front row based on form.
Absolutely agree kelly doing wonders, but as Macca said"Three tries were scored from pressure inspired drop ball" we get out to a great lead and cant seem to sustain the same intensity? Maybe too many colts but i suppose realistically thats all hes got? Persistence will pay off in the long run im sure ! Hope they dont all get snapped up by S15 clubs just yet.

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Absolutely agree kelly doing wonders, but as Macca said"Three tries were scored from pressure inspired drop ball" we get out to a great lead and cant seem to sustain the same intensity? Maybe too many colts but i suppose realistically thats all hes got? Persistence will pay off in the long run im sure ! Hope they dont all get snapped up by S15 clubs just yet.
Yeah I think the side is lacking a bit of leadership, Id like to see Nio as captain. In the backs Boileau, Horwitz, samu are all very quiet natured and very young. They will have to learn.

TARANTINO

Stan Wickham (3)
For instance Lala, Pete Samu Heptema Horwitz and the way the coach has Rennie playing each time one of these get the ball something always happens, wonderfull to watch.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Yeah I think the side is lacking a bit of leadership, Id like to see Nio as captain. In the backs Boileau, Horwitz, samu are all very quiet natured and very young. They will have to learn.

Pete, I agree with you about the captaincy.
La La is a great "follow me over the top of the trenches" type of leader but I don't see him talking to the players enough during a game and his knee injury often sees him out of the game for periods of time.

Interestingly, I happened to be standing nearby when the players were walking into the change room after the warm up on Saturday and the referee approached Nio for a pre-game chat assuming he was captain. He looked very surprised when Nio referred him to La La!

George Hipwall

Allen Oxlade (6)
Pete, I agree with you about the captaincy.
La La is a great "follow me over the top of the trenches" type of leader but I don't see him talking to the players enough during a game and his knee injury often sees him out of the game for periods of time.

Interestingly, I happened to be standing nearby when the players were walking into the change room after the warm up on Saturday and the referee approached Nio for a pre-game chat assuming he was captain. He looked very surprised when Nio referred him to La La!

Agreed. The LaLa's, Toa's and Samu's are doing a tremendous job on the field. An old hand like Nio can be the voice and calming influence over the group.

It's great to watch the team play the way they do. Some calming leadership can see them win the close games.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Agreed. The LaLa's, Toa's and Samu's are doing a tremendous job on the field. An old hand like Nio can be the voice and calming influence over the group.

It's great to watch the team play the way they do. Some calming leadership can see them win the close games.

I agree George.
The number of penalties conceded towards the end of Saturday's game WHILST IN POSSESSION was so frustrating. Someone needed to get the players together and tell them to close the game down ie don't get isolated. Nio had taken over the captaincy by that stage when La La hobbled off (again!) but I think the players were still trying to make breaks and as the support players tired they got isolated and the Rats gophers and Harvey did the rest. There's bucket loads of ability there but a lack of experience and smarts.

refugee

Sydney Middleton (9)
First post
Does lack of leadership suggest that too many first timers ?
What does that say for the 22-30 age group - not good enough?

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
First post
Does lack of leadership suggest that too many first timers ?
What does that say for the 22-30 age group - not good enough?
I think that close to the best side is being picked at the moment (close call between half backs and may see a shift of samu back into forwards and pick a goal kicker - def needed) plenty of good guys in that age bracket (22-30) as the results in 2s and 3's would suggest. The young men in the halves have to step up into leaders. Their play warrants their spot

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
I think that close to the best side is being picked at the moment (close call between half backs and may see a shift of samu back into forwards and pick a goal kicker - def needed) plenty of good guys in that age bracket (22-30) as the results in 2s and 3's would suggest. The young men in the halves have to step up into leaders. Their play warrants their spot
Cayden picked in the 1s this week. Perhaps we can now do better than 3 from 8 and misses in front.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Couple of good changes this week with Matehaere (a goal kicker at last!) back at 10, Horwitz moves to 12 and Hepetema back at 13. Nugget's fan club will be disappointed again and Samu (who limped off with what looked like a knee injury last week) is not listed.
I think this is the best backline we can pick with the possible exception of Harry v Nugget at half.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
How good is Zeb Holmes-Baer going in the front row in seconds !!!
Another very promising talent up from colts this year.
Very potent pairing in the centres in 2nds also -- Paea and Waqa. They'll run riot at Nepean on Saturday.

TARANTINO

Stan Wickham (3)
How good is Zeb Holmes-Baer going in the front row in seconds !!!
Another very promising talent up from colts this year.
Very potent pairing in the centres in 2nds also -- Paea and Waqa. They'll run riot at Nepean on Saturday.
I certainly think it was great how wade could organise the draw this season. Every team we play has been softened up by uni the week before apparently penrith gave it to uni in the forwards just cant match in the backs should suit randwicks current game, from memory Cayden can kick also.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
To get some posts going on the "Proud of my Club" thread, I pasted a copy of the Wicks Club Song on that thread.

A fellow Gaggerlander has asked the origins of the Song.
HJ,do you know the significance of the song to Randwick?Doesn't really seem relevant unless there is some Irish connection there.Bloody good song,though.

Anyone on here able to help.
I just copied it from the wicks website.

Either post your response here or directly in the "Proud of My Club" thread by following the link below:
http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/community/threads/proud-of-my-rugby-club-thread.13162/#post-516974

Status
Not open for further replies.