• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Giteau must be in Wallabies World Cup squad

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JohnD

Giteau is the only Wallaby good enough to go against Carter...

imho - Deans must resolve his problems with Giteau or "Good bye World Cup"!

G

GC

No he mustn't - and he won't be. Gits has repeatedly failed at 10 at international level against decent opposition. He's a 12. McCabe, Fainga'a & Barnes are ahead of him at 12. Cooper, JOC (James O'Connor), Barnes and probably Beale are ahead at 10.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
I think a lot will come down to;
a 12 vs 13 backs
b does Deans want 2 proven wingers in reserve, ie Mitchell, Turner.
If it's 12/2 wingers Gits only chance is injury call up I think, otherwise he sneaks in.

EVERYFWDTHINKTHEYREA6OR7

Syd Malcolm (24)
Agreed definitely has to be there. Cooper is the man for the job. But we needed someone with a level head out there with the AB's agressive D.

I mean seriously it's only now our forwards are actually having a go! Remember when we had a terrible scrum, he was 10 then.

You can be the best 10 in the world yet you are not going to do anything special without a decent team.

A

antipodean

No he mustn't - and he won't be. Gits has repeatedly failed at 10 at international level against decent opposition. He's a 12.
He's a person who can play both 1st and 2nd 5/8. I don't know what Gits has 'failed' at, I can't recall a glaring example of him losing a match for the Wallabies.

Bieber isn't an international 1st 5/8. Beale is the best Australian fullback so you don't want to move him. Barnes is recovering from his impression of Captain Concussion so there's a minor risk there. I'd take both Barnes and Giteau.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
He's a person who can play both 1st and 2nd 5/8. I don't know what Gits has 'failed' at, I can't recall a glaring example of him losing a match for the Wallabies.

Goalkicking aside, I still think he could have won us the Sydney Bledisloe in 2009 with a dropgoal.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Gits stays too deep at 10 and crabs at 12 too often trying to beat players on the outside.

Barnes kicks too often at ten (but less than Cooper this season) and straightens attack at 12

Clawhammer

Herbert Moran (7)
I think he should be on the bench during the World Cup. However, I suspect Nucifora still bears a Brumbies-related grudge against him which will make it difficult. Deans doesn't seem like much of a fan either.

EVERYFWDTHINKTHEYREA6OR7

Syd Malcolm (24)

Bieber isn't an international 1st 5/8. Beale is the best Australian fullback so you don't want to move him. Barnes is recovering from his impression of Captain Concussion so there's a minor risk there. I'd take both Barnes and Giteau.

I love Beale at 10. It's best he stays at 15 so we have the best players out there. However 'touch wood' something happens to Cooper he could go there.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
I love Beale at 10. It's best he stays at 15 so we have the best players out there. However 'touch wood' something happens to Cooper he could go there.

Why the Beale love at 10? Didn't control the games he had for the Tahs there nearly as well as Barnes. Brilliant player but definitely behind Barnes and JOC (James O'Connor) as our backup.

H

high tower

Giteau was a failure as a 10 - hence Cooper was bought in at 19 or 20 and with no ability or desire to tackle, despite this the wallabies are better with Cooper.
JOC (James O'Connor) is a better like for like replacement for Cooper if he gets busted, the backline stays the same and Mitchell comes in if his fit.

Giteau was a failure outside Cooper, McCabe is the perfect foil for Cooper as he does everything that Cooper doesnt and can run off him as well.
Faainga can fill in for McCabe if required and again the structure and skill set of the backline remains in tact.

A

antipodean

The Wallabies don’t have a consistent goal kicker. It’s difficult to specify an example where a player has lost a test. It’s much easier to point to an attacking play such as Cooper when he is at his sublime best in contrast to say a player won a match. Against quality opposition, that’ the exception rather than the rule. Especially in knockout games.

Giteau isn’t the only one who gets deeper into the pocket the more he isn’t given front foot ball – Cooper has demonstrated this. If he’s crabbing, the centre or fullback needs to straighten the attack. It’s not rocket science. In a RWC, his experience would be invaluable.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
At the start of the year I would have said Git's need to go but I don't think he does now. I wont be upset if he is in the squad but I'm not worried if he isn't.

Reactions: WB3

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
If it came to the crunch in a RWC game without Cooper, I'd take Barnes. Sure, he might kick away a tonne of ball. And maybe he'll stand too deep. But he kicks for field position better than Cooper, defends well and can kick goals too.

Reactions: BPC
Z

Zeno

I can't think of a single reason to select Giteau for the Wallabies again. 'good enough to go against Carter' means nothing. Five-eighths don't 'go against' each other, they manage their own backlines.

Giteau doesn't have the 2011 form that would even make him a contender for any position. It's not about negatives like crabbing or kick-passing or attitude or missing goals from in front; it's a simple lack of positives that takes his name off the table.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)

I can remember three occasions when he missed crucial easy shots at goal - sitters - in the dying minutes of internationals. Two of them would arguably have won us the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.