• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Global Rapid Rugby

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I’m still a tad worried about the popularity of this competition, such a huge announcement yesterday and only what, 4 pages on here of comments? You get more when a wallabies team is named. I’m hoping the hype ramps up otherwise it’s going to flop before it even starts
You should get more when a Wallabies team is announced given its the primary team of support for all Australians. You don't even get that though. Not anymore.

I wouldn't use number of pages here to gauge interest.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Frankly, I would think the general public would have next to no interest at all in watching Malaysia play Japan or Hong Kong playing Singapore

There might be a bit of Australian interest in the Force games (hopefully!)

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Frankly, I would think the general public would have next to no interest at all in watching Malaysia play Japan or Hong Kong playing Singapore

I think it would be heavily reliant on how they are marketed and their overall make up as you could say that about the NFL and yet the games shown here actually rate rather well. Then there's also another element to it in that it's looking to develop the Asian market as a whole.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)

I think it’ll come down to marquee players, I want to see players I know, not randoms I’ve never heard of. If they get the marquees right I think that’s half the battle

Latts1992

Herbert Moran (7)
If RA and the unions in Australia had some foresight they would seek partnerships with some of these teams so that players can be exchanged for development, and with a condition that Australians playing for partner teams could play for the Wallabies.

Reactions: dru

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I think it’ll come down to marquee players, I want to see players I know, not randoms I’ve never heard of. If they get the marquees right I think that’s half the battle

The right names will most certainly help. Getting the product on the pitch right will be crucial as well. It doesn't need to be the best league from day one but it certainly helps if it can be the most entertaining.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
If RA and the unions in Australia had some foresight they would seek partnerships with some of these teams so that players can be exchanged for development, and with a condition that Australians playing for partner teams could play for the Wallabies.

I'd love for open borders when it comes to where talent can play both in GRR and Super Rugby for that matter. While I was happy enough for the Jaguares and Sunwolves to enter Super Rugby I would have prefer both Argentine and Japanese involvement to have been done via squad allocations in the existing 15 teams as opposed to the mess we found ourselves in with the restructure of the competition.

LearningCurve

Bill Watson (15)
yeah I get it. I think what's needed is names. Not the inference of names.

I don't think GRR will get the legitimacy boost (other than in the west) until some big names are announced. And not Jeremy Thrush or Marcel Brache.

Totally agree - I read in their press release that they will have 20 of the best 100 players in the world today. If we assume that the 100 best players currently are mainly in the squads for the All Blacks, Ireland, England, Wallabies, and South Africa, with a handful outside that perhaps playing in France, then where are the 20 going to come from, as they will be contracted to their national unions? I suspect they are looking at the retirees like Giteau, Nonu etc or the guys who were overlooked for their national teams and headed offshore - good players in their time but not really name value.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Totally agree - I read in their press release that they will have 20 of the best 100 players in the world today. If we assume that the 100 best players currently are mainly in the squads for the All Blacks, Ireland, England, Wallabies, and South Africa, with a handful outside that perhaps playing in France, then where are the 20 going to come from, as they will be contracted to their national unions? I suspect they are looking at the retirees like Giteau, Nonu etc or the guys who were overlooked for their national teams and headed offshore - good players in their time but not really name value.
Lol, don't you mean New Zealand, Ireland, Wales, England, South Africa?

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
I suspect they are looking at the retirees like Giteau, Nonu etc or the guys who were overlooked for their national teams and headed offshore
I think this is partly correct.

good players in their time but not really name value.
Emphasis here is more the other way round, IMO

Giteau and Nonu would be more in the "name value" category; not current top players – even if still good players.

However I'd suggest those two guys would've been targets more so if it was 2016-17. Perhaps less so by 2019-20. Who knows what sort of other players might be out there … particularly after the next World Cup?

Sean McMahon?
James O'Connor?
Quade Cooper?

Even a player like Kieran Read might add name value

dru

Tim Horan (67)
James Horwill
Nick White
Nick Frisby
Liam Gill
Scott Fardy

It's not too hard to find names that might suit. Open the flood gates if you look to South Africans.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Trust me its not, im a born and bred QLD'er, half my friends think rugby is less skilled, not as tough, kick-a-thons than League. Its a psychological thing

If given the scenario that the Kangaroos had 3 months of to training to play the All Blacks, most would believe the Kangaroos would win fairly comfortably due to their superior toughness and skills

People are very uneducated on the differences in the two games and the similarities they do identify with genuinely believe Rugby League players are at a superior level in.

Winning would obviously help, it has an amazing ability to solve problems, but deep down inside the psyche of a large portion of our population believes it an inferior game played by inferior athletes, just like in Vic, WA, SA, Tas, etc. believe that AFL athletes are superior to 'Rugby' athletes

Its all a bit similar to how soccer battled perception issues until the last 10-15yrs

So is the soccer played in Australia played under different rules played everywhere else in the world?

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Depends. Is it played in other parts of the globe by

SHEILAS, WOGS AND POOFTERS ?

Well, I'm not either of those and I played the game as a kid. More the ethnic alignment and tensions that plagued the NSL of old. Sadly there's an element of that re-emerging in the Wanderers fan base.