• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Global Rapid Rugby

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
So because of the chaotic bureaucracy and politics of Australian Rugby they are setting up GRR to be based organisationally out of HK. And reference made to how NSWRU been the main culprit in not embracing the opportunities of WRR which I tend to agree as to me so much evidence to say how fundamentally broken NSW rugby is administratively and politically (inept - backward and lack of vision and forward focus are just some things that come to mind). The whole failure to jump at the opportunity to have Western Sydney side in GRR funded by private funds is just mind boggling as the stupid fuckers who run this chaotic shambles think they have time to arrest the terminal decline in Western Sydney and continued rapid growth of NRL and AFL in this region.

Gees I would not get the executive management of NSWRU to run any business or enterprise I was invested in as they clearly have no idea and are the real shining representative light of why Australian rugby is struggling. Seriously can someone get a broom and clean out all these muppets from NSWRU. Still reckon Andrew Hore needs to fark of back to NZ.....

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I think it would be heavily reliant on how they are marketed and their overall make up as you could say that about the NFL and yet the games shown here actually rate rather well. Then there's also another element to it in that it's looking to develop the Asian market as a whole.
Well remember GRR is based out of HK so if Asian games rate well in Asia and less so in oz...well hmm...from memory 20m Japenese tuned into watch Japan play a game in last World Cup. So there is a market there and Sunwolves crowd also support this.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I bet they sign Nick Cummins.

Didn't he suggest he hadn't given up on footy?

They could do worse then setting him up with or on a weekly wrap-up/talk show. Given he mostly does travel/tourism stuff now it's probably a pretty good fit with the 'exotic locales' thing they're going for. His history with the force obviously doesn't hurt either.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
So because of the chaotic bureaucracy and politics of Australian Rugby they are setting up GRR to be based organisationally out of HK. And reference made to how NSWRU been the main culprit in not embracing the opportunities of WRR which I tend to agree as to me so much evidence to say how fundamentally broken NSW rugby is administratively and politically (inept - backward and lack of vision and forward focus are just some things that come to mind). The whole failure to jump at the opportunity to have Western Sydney side in GRR funded by private funds is just mind boggling as the stupid fuckers who run this chaotic shambles think they have time to arrest the terminal decline in Western Sydney and continued rapid growth of NRL and AFL in this region.

Gees I would not get the executive management of NSWRU to run any business or enterprise I was invested in as they clearly have no idea and are the real shining representative light of why Australian rugby is struggling. Seriously can someone get a broom and clean out all these muppets from NSWRU. Still reckon Andrew Hore needs to fark of back to NZ...

Mate, I'm actually contemplating writing something up detailing the need for a complete restructure of the administration of the game in this country. This would include the abolition of the traditional Union structure. Which is desperately needed in regards to the removal of duplication which is rife in the game. Allow for the organisation to be far more agile and should see a not insignificant level of savings that could be better employed elsewhere.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Well remember GRR is based out of HK so if Asian games rate well in Asia and less so in oz.well hmm.from memory 20m Japenese tuned into watch Japan play a game in last World Cup. So there is a market there and Sunwolves crowd also support this.

Forrest mentioned the amount of economic growth projected in the region. There's an ever growing middle class in Asia which can be developed. We need to realise that Australia isn't the only primary market they are looking at. If they can get anywhere close to the supposed number of Rugby fans in Asia to actually become engaged then this would be the biggest Rugby competition of either code by a long, long way.

andrewM

Herbert Moran (7)
As countries step up their preparation for the World Cup, I think now is the ideal time for GRR to put out feelers for marque players. Maybe some players, possibly with their best playing days behind them but at the peak of their global visibility, upon realizing that they aren't in their national teams WC plans will decide that GRR gives them another opportunity than than the usual Japan/European scenario.

I wonder if Cooper could have been tempted had RA not drags its feet for so long over its support?

I am not 100% convinced that teams from KL will be successful atm, but then again 12 months ago I wasn't convinced that last years WSR would be much chop either, and I was proven wrong with that.

If the rule changes promised are successful as hoped, then this may appeal to the young Asian Millenials whose attention span is as long as a Youtube clip.

I don't think the rules proposed are as divisive as the Stellenbosch ELV's and do maintain the fundamental nature of the game .

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Mate, I'm actually contemplating writing something up detailing the need for a complete restructure of the administration of the game in this country. This would include the abolition of the traditional Union structure. Which is desperately needed in regards to the removal of duplication which is rife in the game. Allow for the organisation to be far more agile and should see a not insignificant level of savings that could be better employed elsewhere.
Yep key thing is need for a structure which provides for greater agility which is polar opposite of what nswru provides

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Yep key thing is need for a structure which provides for greater agility which is polar opposite of what nswru provides

I actually think the state Unions should be abolished entirely with Rugby run out of a single entity. Rugby in this country has been traditionally structured into a divisional structure with RA sitting a top and each Union representing essentially their own division of the greater RA structure.

Now if we were operating across several markets and/or had a business that was large enough then such a structure could be called for. But we don't on either. Some may wish to disagree but our product is Rugby. It's literally the only thing the business producers and Australia as a whole isn't a diverse enough market to warrant an independent body for each state. It really doesn't.

This structure also leads to a huge degree of duplication. Each Union has its on Board, Executive, Admin etc. all doing the same job. And it could be reasonably argued non of them are doing it all that well. From what I have been able to find the operating costs of each of the four Super Rugby Unions sits somewhere between $16-18m a year.

What we need to is completely restructure the business from on of State autonomy to a more functional structure that clears the lines of communication. Allows for much more agility and lean in its operations. Instead of individual Unions running their professional squads and then grassroots etc. There would be one Professional Rugby Dept overseeing all four squads, One Grassroots Dept overseeing all development work etc. Alongside your traditional business Depts.

This should at least in theory lead to a significant reduction in the current levels of duplication and make searching out and addressing inefficiencies much easier. Imagine a situation where they performed this restructure and eliminated the duplication and inefficiency within the structure. There are examples of this essentially cutting operating costs by as much as 40%. If that were achieved (and I'm not saying it would be possible in Rugby case without being able to examine several metrics) the business could take the current $64-72m it current has in operating costs spread across the four Super Rugby Unions and cut that by roughly $24m annually.

That doesn't mean a one for one reduction in revenues. Just cutting down on costs. This could present an opportunity for the business to redistribute those savings to places like properly resourcing the NRC, expanding the Super W and offering the players actual professional contracts, pump more money into grassroots and development initiative nationwide. They could even throw some money the way of the Premier Clubs if they wanted to.

Because here's the thing. We do suffer from a shortage of money in the game but a lot of that can be address by looking into how the game is run and on the duplication side of the equation alone. There's a lot of waste.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
You're dreamin' WCR. WA was screwed by RA even with RugbyWA.
WA wouldn't even exist as far as the East Coast is concerned if there were no State Unions.

The Professional Game in Australia should be run by professionals - not a NSW cabal (with a few token outsiders).

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
You're dreamin' WCR. WA was screwed by RA even with RugbyWA.
WA wouldn't even exist as far as the East Coast is concerned if there were no State Unions.

The Professional Game in Australia should be run by professionals - not a NSW cabal (with a few token outsiders).

Yes, it does need to be run by professionals which is what such a restructure would drive through.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
Twiggys sensationalism is really turning me off the competition, I understand he needs to sell the comp to people but I read a quote on a fox sports article today with him saying “people are saying wsr was the best footy they’ve ever seen”, just utter bullshit and makes me not want to watch it

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Mate, keep an open mind. Not easy, given the amount of nonsense being sprouted by the proponents of the venture.

If it works, even a bit, it will be a good thing.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
Mate, keep an open mind. Not easy, given the amount of nonsense being sprouted by the proponents of the venture.

If it works, even a bit, it will be a good thing.

Hey as far as I’m concerned the more rugby the better but call a spade a spade and be genuine

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
The game is not for sale. That is the key issue that these blokes need to remember. If Twiggy does not know that, he will find out sooner rather than later. With all our faults and foibles, we are rugby. All of us. Not just RA, and certainly not just the richest guy in the room.