• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Global Rapid Rugby

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
I know WA is three hours behind in general but I wasn't aware it was a week behind in the news cycle.
Meow :)

I certainly missed it.
Such items would've been discussed here in the past. These days, not so much

So are we still looking at a Westetn Sydney team as well? Or is this an alternative?
I liked the Western Sydney idea (still do). It might've been kyboshed too effectively, though.

Based on the link below, it seems like an alternative. Dunno. (The article also has some basic errors of fact so needs to be taken with a grain of salt).

https://www.theherald.com.au/story/...-to-enter-new-professional-rugby-competition/

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
All good.

Newcastle could be interesting option, tho. A tad behind the Gold Coast in size but doesn't have the 'sports graveyard' thing of the other place. More a traditional city.

The Hunter region is fairly comparable to the GC in population from memory and you could probably look to draw in both the Lake Macquarie and Central Coast regions which would build that number out to a tad over 1m people. Should be enough to build an local audience audience.

I don’t mind it. Selfishly I would prefer a WS team as I live in that general region but I’d still follow a NSW team in GRR regardless of its location. Plus, I like the idea of another pro team in NSW. Could do away with one of the NSW teams in the NRC and replace it with this squad. Would mean more games for fans and players and an increase in quality in the NRC. Honestly, I’d like to see GRR look at a Qld team as well.

This way we could have both GRR and Super Rugby running alongside each other as pro comps and then combine the Aus teams plus Fiji under the NRC banner to form a proper professional Aus Championship.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The South China Tigers definitely got the diversity memo. The men’s professional rugby squad on Tuesday unveiled a number of marquee players to compete in Andrew Forrest’s Global Rapid Rugby series.
The bulk of the team will be made up of Hong Kong national 15-a-side players, but also features Fiji Olympic gold medallist Samisoni Viriviri, English premiership’s all-time leading try scorer, Tom Varndell, and Chinese national players Ma Chong and Liu Junkui.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I imagine a Hunter team in GRR would be attractive to quite a few Shute Shield players who can't get a contract in Super. Another parhway to semi-professional/professional rugby. Not a bad thing.

How about Nic White as a returning player?

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I imagine a Hunter team in GRR would be attractive to quite a few Shute Shield players who can't get a contract in Super. Another parhway to semi-professional/professional rugby. Not a bad thing.

How about Nic White as a returning player?

Would love Newcastle to get a team, however we don't need our best players returning to play in the competition until the quality improves. Players at the end of their career combined with some of the best emerging talent is what should be the target market for players in the league, combined with players from emerging nations.

On another note its sounding like Japan won't be involved in any capacity in the next few years at least (Rich Freeman quoted something along these lines), which i think is a positive for the league. The competition could be undermined by countries that wouldn't treat it as no.1 priority, i think it's better hitting new markets or existing markets without a professional structure, and been the dominant rugby competition in them.

Good to see some progress on the HK front, I have a couple of mates that play in and for HK, so wouldn't mind seeing a match next time i am out there.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
3rd team in about 4 months for Varndell.

Dec 18 - Soyaux Angoulême

Jan 19 - Leicester Tigers
Mar 19 - South China Tigers.

Not quite the big name I was hoping for, but a name I guess.

LearningCurve

Bill Watson (15)
Varndell walked out on his French contract after only 6 games in the 2nd division (PRO D2) and then played 2 games for Leicester. While certainly a skilled and experienced player he is definitely in the twilight of his playing and you wonder how well he will cope with living in Hong Kong if he found living in the south of France too difficult a cultural adjustment for his family. No doubt he has the goods for GRR level but hope he makes a positive contribution to the HK team as a whole.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
http://www.thestandard.com.hk/section-news.php?id=205665&sid=8&sid=8

James Cunningham and Liam Slatem have been named co-captains of the FWD South China Tigers, the first Greater Bay Area professional rugby club that will do battle in Global Rapid Rugby starting this month.
Hong Kong Rugby union chief Robbie McRobbie hailed the new tournament as the "closest form of 15-a-side rugby to the Sevens" because of the emphasis on end-to-end action in 70-minute matches.
Because of its similarities to Sevens, McRobbie is confident that Global Rapid Rugby would be embraced by fans in the SAR and in the Asia-Pacific region.
"Global Rapid Rugby is a challenger and disruptor in international sports that aims to change the way people in the Asia-Pacific view rugby," said Paul Tse, chief marketing officer for club sponsors FWD. "Those traits align with FWD's vision."

Hong Kong coaches Craig Hammond and Andrew Hall will serve as the Tigers' head coach and team manager, respectively. A squad of 45 players has been named for the tournament.
Four international signings, including the UK Premiership's top all-time try scorer Tom Varndell and former World Rugby Sevens Player of the Year and Olympic gold medallist Samisoni Viriviri, have been drafted in to reinforce the squad. Two China players - former sevens and 15s captain Ma Chong and winger Liu Junkui - are also in the team.
In addition to Cunningham and Slatem, other notable Hong Kong players in the squad are fly-half Matt Rosslee, veteran backs Tom and Alex McQueen, Jamie Tsang and center Tyler Spitz.