• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Global Rapid Rugby

Aurelius

Ted Thorn (20)
Had an interesting exchange with my sister-in-law this morning. She works in stadium management in Perth and from time comes into possession of tickets for sporting events. Anyway, she offered me and my dad a couple of freebies for next week's game, which we didn't take her up on, but it seems that they're trying to shift a lot of tickets for the opener. We figured it was because either people were just moving on from the Force, the new competition was a bit too gimicky, or a combination of the two.

Personally, while I enjoyed the spectacle last year and think some of the experimental changes are worthwhile, 35-minute halves are a step too far for me. 70 minutes just wouldn't feel like rugby, any more than that weird 100-ball format feels like cricket (even T20).

So it sounds like they're going to struggle to match the success of last year's comp (at least initially) and may have to go back to the drawing board with some of their rule variations. Apart from anything, whatever complaints people have made about the rules of rugby I've never heard anyone complain that it's too long.

Forceright

Allen Oxlade (6)
Had an interesting exchange with my sister-in-law this morning. She works in stadium management in Perth and from time comes into possession of tickets for sporting events. Anyway, she offered me and my dad a couple of freebies for next week's game, which we didn't take her up on, but it seems that they're trying to shift a lot of tickets for the opener. We figured it was because either people were just moving on from the Force, the new competition was a bit too gimicky, or a combination of the two.

Personally, while I enjoyed the spectacle last year and think some of the experimental changes are worthwhile, 35-minute halves are a step too far for me. 70 minutes just wouldn't feel like rugby, any more than that weird 100-ball format feels like cricket (even T20).

So it sounds like they're going to struggle to match the success of last year's comp (at least initially) and may have to go back to the drawing board with some of their rule variations. Apart from anything, whatever complaints people have made about the rules of rugby I've never heard anyone complain that it's too long.
That’s a bit odd seeing as I’ve had a few people tell me they were trying to get tickets as of Friday & have been all sold out. Maybe your info’s not right? There are a bunch of family passes being released for $30 however. Can’t see what the problem with 35 minutes as opposed to 40 is such a major catastrophe, especially when the time spent frikken around with scrums gets cut down. Personally myself and all friends loved the new format last year, so I guess we all have to suck it up and see then Hey!

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
That’s a bit odd seeing as I’ve had a few people tell me they were trying to get tickets as of Friday & have been all sold out. Maybe your info’s not right? There are a bunch of family passes being released for $30 however. Can’t see what the problem with 35 minutes as opposed to 40 is such a major catastrophe, especially when the time spent frikken around with scrums gets cut down. Personally myself and all friends loved the new format last year, so I guess we all have to suck it up and see then Hey!

have they tried ticketek? I just jumped on and was able to get plenty of tickets.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I'm not sure if it's already been mentioned, but Friday's match is being shown live on SBS Viceland....

Is it. What time?

Edit: Looked it up. 10:30pm. Which means we are getting it live while in Perth where it is also going to be shown at 10:30pm they will get it on delay.

Aurelius

Ted Thorn (20)
Is it. What time?

Edit: Looked it up. 10:30pm. Which means we are getting it live while in Perth where it is also going to be shown at 10:30pm they will get it on delay.

Hah. Of course we will.

I have to say though, if they're going to show nice, respectable rugby on Viceland where would they show league?

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I don’t think the Sunwolves will exist anymore in any capacity. The JRU has decided to stop funding it as they are wanting to put the cash into the University and Top Leagues comps (not that I agree with this). The most likely Japanese team would be a top league company team.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
It is shown live in Perth at 7.30pm on SBS Viceland ch. 142

Cool. Last I saw it had 10:30 pm which was less than ideal. Having a live broadcast is much better. Will be on Kayo as well and hopefully we'll see it broadcast via Twitter as per last year to provide a solid broadcast spread. FTA, streaming and social. I mentioned this on TWF but it should be something GRR should be seriously looking at for markets that don't have TV deals in place by kick off next season.

Look to set up a good quality broadcast in several world languages. Use social media to broadcast the games. Would be a good get if someone like the Tigers managed to get on the Weibo/Baidu/WeChat platforms.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
This level of fan engagement has to be a good sign for the future of GRR.

Note - it wasn't just for the HB......

Capture.PNG

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Didn’t watch him when he was on the bachelor, but when they interviewed him on the sidlelines last night he seems to have morphed into a caricature of his former self.

G

GingerBreadCrab

So a few things...

1. Thank god this wasn’t broadcast either side of a super rugby fixture. The quality was representative of the short planning time.
2. I don’t want to see players awkwardly interviewed after scoring a try. Shockingly, they’re blowing hard and definitely aren’t able to engage in broadcast television.
3. Plenty of energy from the Force boys. A lot of it misguided in what was essentially an amateur barbarians spectacle of a match (and was treated as such by the World XV for at least the first 35 minutes).
4. I don’t think scrums have been sped up, at all. Particularly towards the end of the match, as players got tired, scrums were often re-set and feeds slowed down anyway.
5. Why is the match ball shaped like a balloon?
6. No more Nick Cummins. I’ve seen enough. “Thanks darl” says it all.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
A thought on speeding up the game. If that's one of the prime goals of GRR they need to instruct the referees to only pull up dropped balls when they obviously go forward. One or two knock ons called last night were arguably straight down to ground but the game was halted for a scrum. Similarly, when a ball is stripped from the carrier, it ought not be called a knock on just because it is propelled forwards by the stripper.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
A thought on speeding up the game. If that's one of the prime goals of GRR they need to instruct the referees to only pull up dropped balls when they obviously go forward. One or two knock ons called last night were arguably straight down to ground but the game was halted for a scrum. Similarly, when a ball is stripped from the carrier, it ought not be called a knock on just because it is propelled forwards by the stripper.

Agree especially on the strip ball. They are pretty obvious and should be continued. I'm actually surprised they haven't opted to bring back the quick tap from a knock on as per the old ELV's. I think the shot clock on things like the lineout and scrum would help speed things along and replacing the hit with a fold in would eliminate many of the resets. I'm not talking about de-powering them. Not at all. But a lot of the issues around resets have to do with the hit. If you want to reduce them a fold in would eliminate much of that.

Aurelius

Ted Thorn (20)
2. I don’t want to see players awkwardly interviewed after scoring a try. Shockingly, they’re blowing hard and definitely aren’t able to engage in broadcast television.

Absolutely! In fact, I wish there was less interviewing of athletes full stop. Half time in the soccer, drinks breaks in the cricket ... I just don't find it interesting and I wonder how many spectators do. It doesn't help that most sportsmen are so media-trained that all they can do is speak in platitudes, which is why Nick Cummins stood out so much all those years ago.

I get that broadcasters are all about "access" these days, but have they ever considered that ancient wisdom that says "less is more?"

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
What's the feedback in the west over that last game?
Lots of running and lots of skill shown for sure. Deegan and McGregor in particular.

The crowd was well down wasn't it? Less than 8,000? Any feedback on why? Scheduling? Opponent?

SteveWA

Charlie Fox (21)
Crowd was down, my guess is due to other codes heavily promoting this week. Glory had their "blockbuster" against Melbourne Victory on Saturday night - a full house. Eagles had their first home game after winning last year - a full house. Also the unknown of an Asian team and the first weekend of club rugby. I'd expect more when the Pacific Islands teams visit town.

Rugby itself was great. Plenty of heavy work by the forwards, but equally plenty of good running rugby and some brilliant tries. The handling was much better than last week, perhaps the Force were better off for the first run, but also there was less humidity. The Tigers weren't disgraced either, and will only improve as they get more fitness and cohesion.

I'm liking the new rules, in particular the "no kickout from your 22". I sense the referees are taking time to adapt to the new scrum rules (to be expected). The power try definitely adds the incentive to attack, and allows an adventurous team to quickly catch up.

Overall the new style of play reminds me of the 70s and 80s rather than the 7s: lots of running rugby, some good forward play but less of the bash/barge/hope style.