• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Global Rapid Rugby

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Hi RR.....I reckon the Asian market will take some time to develop.
The big rugby crowds in WA have proved somewhat parochial over the years.
Strong RSA and NZ following which doesn't always equate to local Club Rugby or WF support.

The SBS free-to-air option may have had an impact when there are other sporting options over the same weekend as SteveWA has highlighted.

Time will tell - but if the rugby is sustained at the level of the SCTigers game rugby fans will come.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Crowd was down, my guess is due to other codes heavily promoting this week. Glory had their "blockbuster" against Melbourne Victory on Saturday night - a full house. Eagles had their first home game after winning last year - a full house. Also the unknown of an Asian team and the first weekend of club rugby. I'd expect more when the Pacific Islands teams visit town.

Rugby itself was great. Plenty of heavy work by the forwards, but equally plenty of good running rugby and some brilliant tries. The handling was much better than last week, perhaps the Force were better off for the first run, but also there was less humidity. The Tigers weren't disgraced either, and will only improve as they get more fitness and cohesion.

I'm liking the new rules, in particular the "no kickout from your 22". I sense the referees are taking time to adapt to the new scrum rules (to be expected). The power try definitely adds the incentive to attack, and allows an adventurous team to quickly catch up.

Overall the new style of play reminds me of the 70s and 80s rather than the 7s: lots of running rugby, some good forward play but less of the bash/barge/hope style.

The Tigers were likely less of a draw. Could very well change if GRR manage to sign a bunch of big names and a number of them feature in the Tigers line up next year.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Going to the rugby (and playing it, for that matter) in Hong Kong during the Southern Hemisphere rugby season will never be all that popular, even if the Tigers were all ex-All Blacks. It's too hot, and too humid.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Interesting broadcasters for SuperRugby asked for wishlist to include marquee players to be able to play for any Super Rugby side and still be eligible for their national side. Twiggy got knocked back on this by RA for oz players to play for other GRR teams. Might yet cause RA to reconsider if common sense prevails and SANZAAR listens to broadcasters....and in turn RA reconsider their position for GRR.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Force are taking on the Asia Pacific Dragons this weekend. It's not their usual team.

Most notably is the first big game for Carlo Tizzano. The guy is an absolute gun and has the ability to go all the way in Oz Rugby, if he wants.

1. HARRISON LLOYD​
2. HEATH TESSMANN​
3. KIERAN LONGBOTTOM​
4. JEREMY THRUSH ​
5. LEON POWER​
6. HENRY STOWERS​
7. CARLO TIZZANO​
8. BRYNARD STANDER​
9. ISSAK FINES
10. AJ ALATIMU​
11. BRAD LACEY​
12. HENRY TAEFU​
13.MARCEL BRACHE​
14. CLAY UYEN​
15. NICK JOOSTE​
16. FELETI KAITU’U​
17. CHRIS HEIBERG​
18. TOM SHEMINANT​
19. JOHAN BARDOUL​
20. TEVIN FERRIS​
21. MICHAEL MCDONALD​
22. ROD IONA​
23. ROD DAVIES​

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Rugby is obsessed with rotation and resting, the Aussie cricket team is probably the only comparable team/league.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
all good football teams do it?

NRL teams pump out the same side for 26 weeks, AFL similar, NFL the same for 16 weeks or so, all within the parameters of injuries of course. Rugby logic you play 12-14 games for the year at a professional physicality standard and have to be rotated out at least twice. Football usually rotates when mid week games are involved or a player is been protected for a major fixture in the coming days i.e Champions League qtr final etc

For the record i dont believe players should be playing 30+ games a year, but i do believe 15-16 matches should be easily managed with all the professional conditioning they have

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
NRL teams pump out the same side for 26 weeks, AFL similar, NFL the same for 16 weeks or so, all within the parameters of injuries of course. Rugby logic you play 12-14 games for the year at a professional physicality standard and have to be rotated out at least twice. Football usually rotates when mid week games are involved or a player is been protected for a major fixture in the coming days i.e Champions League qtr final etc

For the record i dont believe players should be playing 30+ games a year, but i do believe 15-16 matches should be easily managed with all the professional conditioning they have

no they don't. No where near it. AFL I couldnt speak to. NFL, pfft, there's a 70 blokes on a team!

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
no they don't. No where near it. AFL I couldnt speak to. NFL, pfft, there's a 70 blokes on a team!
They absolutely do mate, the only rotation comes from form, suspension and through injury. There is absolutely no rotation for the sake of rotation, if a player is available and fit, they 100% play. It was only a couple of years ago Luke Douglas (Titans/Sharks) played 215 consecutive games.

On saying this, most players don’t get through a season without injury, suspension or they miss a game through representative selection. I support the raiders, I just had a look at the stats and there was 6 players that played every game (24 matches) last year. For those that are Broncos fans they had 5 players, Roosters had 5 and Souths 6.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
They absolutely do mate, the only rotation comes from form, suspension and through injury. There is absolutely no rotation for the sake of rotation, if a player is available and fit, they 100% play. It was only a couple of years ago Luke Douglas (Titans/Sharks) played 215 consecutive games.

On saying this, most players don’t get through a season without injury, suspension or they miss a game through representative selection. I support the raiders, I just had a look at the stats and there was 6 players that played every game (24 matches) last year. For those that are Broncos fans they had 5 players, Roosters had 5 and Souths 6.

so a long way short of pumping out the same players. You can bet your last dollar on the fact that if a team somehow magically was able to get through a season with no injuries, suspension or form concerns, they'd rest players.

As it is, they don't need to rest players, because of (as you say) injury, suspension and form.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
so a long way short of pumping out the same players. You can bet your last dollar on the fact that if a team somehow magically was able to get through a season with no injuries, suspension or form concerns, they'd rest players.

As it is, they don't need to rest players, because of (as you say) injury, suspension and form.
I realized after posting that, it was probably taken in the literal sense of same names every week. My point more surrounds unforced rotation and I seriously doubt they’d rest if they could get through a season. I don’t think the clubs think that way and I don’t think the players do either, it’s all about getting the best possible team on the paper each week, it’s why there is an uproar about players missing from teams during origin period from fans and clubs. The TV networks wouldn’t accept it as well, in American sports you actually get fined for not putting the best side out.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

Where are you getting this from?

Cheika's aim (stated last Saturday during the Super Rugby interview) is that players would be right around 25 games for the year in the Rugby World Cup Final.

I think Hooper played 33 games in 2014 (19 Super Rugby and 14 test matches).

In 2019 there is the potential to play 19 Super Rugby games and 12 test matches. Clearly key players are going to sit out at least the Samoa game and the Uruguay game at the RWC so that brings the max number down to 29.

They've got to plan at least to some degree that a team might make the Super Rugby final and that we want our squad to be in the best condition possible at the business end of the Rugby World Cup.

If a team makes a run to the Super Rugby final then key players in that team might end up with more games than desirable.