• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

GPS schoolboy rowing 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank Row (1)
Hold on, as much as I respect Shore rowing and they have certainly been dominant over the years, Shore can't claim any moral high ground here.

For example, in '21 I know the Riverview 4th IV had won all their regattas up to HOTR, when suddenly 2 rowers from the Shore 2nd VIII were demoted to their 4th IV and even though the Riverview 4th IV rowed a PB, Shore won by 2 boat lengths and a time over 5 seconds faster than the Shore 3rd IV. And yes Riverview's 3rd IV won HOTR same year in a much faster time than the View 4th IV, View 2nd IV faster than the 3rd IV and so on.

The upshot for Riverview is this weakened Shore's 2nd VIII and 'View won this race at HOTR instead of the 4th IV race as expected.
Not sure this is accurate. I would be interested to hear which boys you think were "demoted" to the 4th IV from the 2nd VIII.

The Grail

Larry Dwyer (12)
Not sure this is accurate. I would be interested to hear which boys you think were "demoted" to the 4th IV from the 2nd VIII.
You may be correct here, I remember watching this on a screen (Covid era) and thinking when the names were read out concerning the Shore 4th IV, there were 2 new names from the 2nd VIII. I can't find the old Clutch video to confirm that was accurate or not. I may have been confusing the demotion of Wulff from the Shore 2nd VIII 3 weeks prior to the 3rd IV and I thought it was another name like Clapman in the 4th, but I can see him listed in the 2nd VIII, so my apologies.

According to the listed names it was half the Shore 3rd IV moved into their 4th IV within the last 2 weeks (Mathur, Knapman), it enabled this Shore 4th IV combo to speed up their 4th IV and win, a time over 5 sec's faster than their 3rd IV. Was it stacking, probably not intended to be, but you can see how it would be interpreted as such.

My point is Shore can't claim a high moral ground here and accuse Kings 2nd IV last year or View IVs, when they have made similar moves in the past. Schools are trying to find their fastest combinations, within reason most of the time.

One Soldier

Frank Row (1)
You may be correct here, I remember watching this on a screen (Covid era) and thinking when the names were read out concerning the Shore 4th IV, there were 2 new names from the 2nd VIII. I can't find the old Clutch video to confirm that was accurate or not. I may have been confusing the demotion of Wulff from the Shore 2nd VIII 3 weeks prior to the 3rd IV and I thought it was another name like Clapman in the 4th, but I can see him listed in the 2nd VIII, so my apologies.

According to the listed names it was half the Shore 3rd IV moved into their 4th IV within the last 2 weeks (Mathur, Knapman), it enabled this Shore 4th IV combo to speed up their 4th IV and win, a time over 5 sec's faster than their 3rd IV. Was it stacking, probably not intended to be, but you can see how it would be interpreted as such.

My point is Shore can't claim a high moral ground here and accuse Kings 2nd IV last year or View IVs, when they have made similar moves in the past. Schools are trying to find their fastest combinations, within reason most of the time.
From what my son has told me who went through in those years so don’t quote me on this but 2 boys came back from injury who were sitting in the first VIII and second VIII at the start of the season in year 11. However injury prevented them from rowing for the majority of the year so they just sat in the stern pair of the 4th IV for the weeks leading up to HOTR 2021. Stacking no, but definitely the crew had some top level experience and technique which would of pushed them over the line.

The Grail

Larry Dwyer (12)
A further congratulations to J. Hehir, becoming the first person I know of (im sure they are numerous) that rowed in the 4th Junior VIII that is now part of the First VIII, message to all those kids out there to keep at it even if they are in a low crew.
Yes, well done, great achievement!

His old man is a character too, has been known to have a few sherbets, which is an admirable attribute in an anesthetist.

Last edited:

Frank Row (1)

All good, my boy went through the program from Year 8 to year 12, finishing in 2021. Having taken a great level of interest in the program all the way through I certainly never saw anything or heard anything regarding stacking. There were definitely crew changes based on injury or form throughout the season.

What I did see was a very well organised shed with a great cohort of boys who gave it everything and who made some amazing memories along the way for both themselves and some proud parents.

Best of luck to all this year, looks like another interesting season.

Reactions: FCD

The Chairman

Alex Ross (28)
Right move here from Ignatius, moving their crew that was 5 seconds faster up a race from the 4th IV to the 3rd IV. 4th IV field now wide open. Shore sneak a win perhaps? I don't know we'll see.

MessDally89

Frank Row (1)
Predictions for the 1st VIII
1 Kings
2 SIC
3 SJC
4 Newington
5 Shore
6 Scots
7Grammar
8 SBHS

Predictions for the 2nd VIII1
1 SIC
2 Kings
3 Newington
4 Joeys
5 Shore
6Scots
7 Grammar
8 SBHS
Not sure about First VIII. Chances are Shore will fall to Grammar again. With Grammar improving by the greatest margin between both races, they might even press for Scots

ReluctantRower

Allen Oxlade (6)
Not sure about First VIII. Chances are Shore will fall to Grammar again. With Grammar improving by the greatest margin between both races, they might even press for Scots
Finally an Ally on this forum. I wholeheartedly agree with you in Grammar's potential as a dark horse this season, and I definitely see them defeating shore again* this weekend.

The Chairman

Alex Ross (28)
I think they will rebound, Shore just have to stay calm. No crabs, follow the rhythm and they will be in with a crack at Joeys and Ignatius.

The Chairman

Alex Ross (28)
Finally an Ally on this forum. I wholeheartedly agree with you in Grammar's potential as a dark horse this season, and I definitely see them defeating shore again* this weekend.
Shore came 4th in the First Race, were 2nd at the 500 in the second, and if they keep out the errors they should be right. Looking into it a bit more its not all doom and gloom, still alot of improvement to be seen especially with the younger guys.

Mrallpushnopull

Bob McCowan (2)
Lane Draw Predictions for this weekend:
1. High
2. Scots
3. Ignatius
4. St Josephs
5. Kings
6. Shore
7. Newington
8. Grammar
9. Empty

fottyboars48

Stan Wickham (3)
Predictions for the weekend:

1 Kings
2 Riverview
3 Shore
4 Joeys
5 Scots
6 Newington
7 Grammar
8 High
as much as shore have tried this week on the parra river, I do think they will be on the bottom end of the results this weekend, their race plan and fitness simply do not match anymore, the era for shore has come to the end of their reign

ReluctantRower

Allen Oxlade (6)
Starting a Table that we can update after each race: The First VIII Crab Count! Please let me know if I have missed any and We can all work together to update this accordingly.

SHORE1
KINGS0
RIVERVIEW0
JOEYS0
SCOTS0
NEWINGTON0
SYDNEY GRAMMAR0
SYDNEY BOYS HIGHNot Raced Yet

Interesting results to be seen, however I am sure it will be nice for our shore sticklers on here to see that their school is finally winning something! :) That's all from me, let me know if I have missed anything, and I look forward to updating after this weekends race.

Cheers.

Joker1

Bob McCowan (2)
Interesting field for the first IV, clearly view out to take first however 2nd third 4th will be close, what are predictions?

OR_Premiers90

Bob McCowan (2)
Jude Smith is an absolute beast at the sport and is extremely unlucky to have been dropped over the past week. His work ethic is unmatched and is a dedicated and diligent young man who I am pleased to know personally. He will be one of the premier individuals in the 2nd VIII competition. James (Private) Heir has some big shoes to fill but I am sure that the Riverview coaches are aware in their decision and we shall see where this takes the GPS powerhouse.

ORP

Jude Smith is an absolute beast at the sport and is extremely unlucky to have been dropped over the past week. His work ethic is unmatched and is a dedicated and diligent young man who I am pleased to know personally. He will be one of the premier individuals in the 2nd VIII competition. James (Private) Heir has some big shoes to fill but I am sure that the Riverview coaches are aware in their decision and we shall see where this takes the GPS powerhouse.

ORP
Hey guys School Boy alert kick him. #BRINGBACKTHEBAN

Status
Not open for further replies.