• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

GPS schoolboy rowing 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well done to St Josephs! First time I've gotten to see them in person - that crew is huge! Did not see that coming from Shore either... what an improvement from the crab in the first regatta!

Kings solid throughout from the 1st Junior to the 1st 8. One question however:

What went wrong for Kings in the 1st VIII???? Their row looked pretty good, yet it was many seconds slower than Sydney Rowing Club Regatta in pretty similar conditions - should have had Joey's on the ropes, especially towards the last 500m when Joey's seemed to fall to rate 30 and lose all technique

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Just checked the Qld GPS results, Southport clocked 5:45:40 in their win. Makes next week's Nationals interesting.

Am I correct in reading the Victorian APS regatta is next Saturday, same day as the Nationals? Nationals heats are on Saturday and Sunday followed by the final on Sunday arvo. Are the Victorian schools not competing in the Nationals this year?

Glory to the wyvern

Stan Wickham (3)
The Chairman’s AAGPS Rowing Awards 2023/24

Senior Rower(s) of the Year: Rogers (K) & Ciesiolka (J)
Junior Rower(s) of the Year: Blatchford (K) & McHutchinson (E)
Coach of the Year: Courts (I)
Coxswain of the Year: Fox (E)
Best Erg Time: Rogers (K)
Best Sculler: Rogers (K)
Most Improved Crew: Shore 4th IV
Most Dominant Crew: Ignatius 2nd IV
Most Improved Rower: Brown (I)
Comeback Rower of the Year: Bergin (E)
Most Dominant School: Ignatius
Most Improved School: St Joseph's
Best Height to Power Ratio: Conna (I)
Best Weight to Power Ratio: Mitchell (J)
Best Time: 5:53.40 (J)
Biggest Upset: King’s 2nd VIII
Biggest Surprise: Shore 1st VIII
Biggest Disappointment: Ignatius 1st VIII
Senior Pennant Winners: Ignatius
Junior Pennant Winners: Shore
Winners of the Major Rennie Trophy: St Joseph's
Enough is enough chairman, Yates (J) not coxswain of the year. And what is this list of awards.

I think it is time you reveal yourself - meet me at the Sheaf tonight - 9pm

Backintheolddays

Bill Watson (15)
Am I correct in reading the Victorian APS regatta is next Saturday, same day as the Nationals? Nationals heats are on Saturday and Sunday followed by the final on Sunday arvo. Are the Victorian schools not competing in the Nationals this year?
VIC schools out as clashes with their HoTR unfortunately. Wouldn’t read too much is Qld times, wind and current assistance was huge. TSS still will be competitive.
Congrats to Joeys today, rowed their best race. Disappointed for the Kings boys, shed outperformed but 1s just had a bad day beaten by a better crew.
Maybe redemption through nationals but not getting the major Rennie will be a regret.

VIC schools out as clashes with their HoTR unfortunately. Wouldn’t read too much is Qld times, wind and current assistance was huge. TSS still will be competitive.
Congrats to Joeys today, rowed their best race. Disappointed for the Kings boys, shed outperformed but 1s just had a bad day beaten by a better crew.
Maybe redemption through nationals but not getting the major Rennie will be a regret.
When and where are nationals this year?

The Grail

Ted Fahey (11)
Shore mark their name as favourites for next year. Ignatius most likely to go with them. What a season of rowing.
And Kings I would add Chair, their Year 10 VIII rowing was impressive. I believe it will be the 3 schools in blue and white battling it out once again in the GPS Crews over the next 2024/2025 season.

Well done to all who rowed today, I know its a massive effort from boys training, parents, coaches efforts, none of it is easy.

Professor62

Ted Fahey (11)
What a great Saturday! Just a quick question, what’s the final point score from today’s regatta? I believe it would be out of Shore and Riverview, with Kings in 3rd for the day. Loved the bagpipes from Scot’s, must admit they did have fantastic culture today.
-professor

The Chairman

Tom Lawton (22)
What a great Saturday! Just a quick question, what’s the final point score from today’s regatta? I believe it would be out of Shore and Riverview, with Kings in 3rd for the day. Loved the bagpipes from Scot’s, must admit they did have fantastic culture today.
-professor
1st Ignatius
2nd Shore
3rd King's
4th St Joseph's
5th Newington
6th Scots
7th Grammar
8th SBHS

The Chairman

Tom Lawton (22)
The rower that I was impressed with the most today is a three way tie. Fleet (K), Dooley (J) and Blencke (I).

Fleet stroked the race to perfection in the Second Eight, defeating the seemingly unbeatable Ignatius 2nd Eight. One loss all year, but this was the one that truly mattered.

Dooley, (combined with Negline, Moloney and Ciesiolka I might add) I felt had the greatest output in that St Joseph’s boat today. Mitchell put the rate up, he needed his engine room to fire and Dooley led the charge which gave them the rights to the Rennie. Fantastic rowing from him.

Finally, Blencke stroked a dominant victory in the Ignatius Second Four, rivalling the times of the First Four. A well prepped race helped them bring the Callaway home.

FCD

Banned
Well done to SJC for taking out the 1st VIII with a 5.52, that's quick in anyone's language!

Well done to the Riverview shed, mostly 1/2 podiums all day. Huge effort from the 1st and 2nd IVs, 3rd VIII, Year 10 3rd and 4th VIIIs, to win their races today. I feel for the Riverview 4th IV that raced a brilliant race against a Shore crew that was faster than both of Shore's 3rd and 2nd IVs, you made us OR's proud.

Great effort by Kings in the 2nd VIII to overcome a strong Riverview 2nd VIII. I know the TKS 1st VIII will be disappointed, but there are bigger and better things in life and they have rowed a stellar season, their Stroke is on another freaking level, great crew.

I was really impressed by the progress Shore's 1st VIII during the season, resulting in a 2nd today. Shows how you can't ever really count Shore out, a shed with unparalleled rowing history.
Tremendous race from the SJC VIII...co-coached by Riverview OB Will Raven and his teacher from SIC Mick Lane.
The Shore first VIII produced their best on the day that mattered. Started the season 10 to 13 seconds off the pace and then dusted SIC and TKS today. Great job JB and crew.
So to the dominant race by TKS 2nd VIII. They were untouchable and would have finished 5th in the 1st VIIIs race.

Interested in your comment on the TKS stroke being freakish? What's the basis behind that?

A 5.58.14 3rd place today and a 5.59.01 2nd place last year.
And stroking a 1st VIII this year that was only 6.65 seconds quicker than the Kings 2nd VIII...
That's a little underwhelming, rather than freakish isn't it?

Tremendous race from the SJC VIII...co-coached by Riverview OB Will Raven and his teacher from SIC Mick Lane.
The Shore first VIII produced their best on the day that mattered. Started the season 10 to 13 seconds off the pace and then dusted SIC and TKS today. Great job JB and crew.
So to the dominant race by TKS 2nd VIII. They were untouchable and would have finished 5th in the 1st VIIIs race.

Interested in your comment on the TKS stroke being freakish? What's the basis behind that?

And stroking a 1st VIII this year that was only 6.65 seconds quicker than the Kings 2nd VIII...
Think its obvious why he's freakish?

Will is the best rower in the AAGPS at the moment - undebatable across both erg and scull. Has trials for U19 worlds over the next week (in both the scull and eight), has been in the 1st VIII since year 10. Last years crew and this day's much slower race by Kings do not define him (5.54 3 weeks from hotr in similar conditions to today!!!), nor does the amazing work done by the Kings 2nd VIII.

The Grail

Ted Fahey (11)

G'day FCD Fair point, the Stoke of the TKS VIII today I am referring to is an exceptional rower imo, granted, not judging by solely by todays results, which were very respectable. However, looking at the last couple of seasons, his is sculling results in other regattas have been brilliant for his age.

I did say feaking 'cause my wife is on my back about my swearing, so not as in freak, but a bloody good rower for his age is what I meant and I'll standby my comment of him being next level.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.