• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

GPS schoolboy rowing 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Grail

Ted Fahey (11)
Speaking with an OR mate of mine who has a son in the 'View year 10 1st VIII and apparently they had a rough start yesterday, with a new coxswain steering them into the right lane buoys, which took a bit of sorting out.

Not saying they would have won, but they should have been a little faster than their result, so won't take much away from their time yesterday for next year.

Techgod

Stan Wickham (3)
What a brilliant day of racing yesterday! I knew from the start of the year that Joey's VIII was going to be strong, with 5 returning rowers. Great to see the Kings 2nd VIII dig deep and manage to beat the undefeated view crew, what a hit out. Glad to see that Shore is bringing the trophy back to the boys.

In all a great day of racing, the crowds were electric! Can't wait for nationals and the season to come.
-TG

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Coupla points.

It would seem rowing's going the way of rugby where success is now concentrated in a handful of schools. There were 11 races yesterday, which means there were 33 placegetters. 32 of those places were won by only four schools: King's, Joeys, View and Shore. Their scores were:

King's - 3 firsts/1 second/3 thirds
Joeys - 1/0/5
View - 5/4/1
Shore - 2/6/1
Newington got their name up in lights with a third in the Second VIII.

Newington's current woes are a concerning tale. After Scots won in 1979 up until Grammar's surprise victory in 2011, only three schools won the First VIII over a period of 31 years: Shore (13 times), King's (10) and Newington (8). High now has the longest drought with their last win in 1959 followed by Newington (1998). What's happening with rowing at Stanmore? Or Abbotsford?

Last edited:
Coupla points.

It would seem rowing's going the way of rugby where success is now concentrated in a handful of schools. There were 11 races yesterday, which means there were 33 placegetters. 32 of those places were won by only four schools: King's, Joeys, View and Shore. Their scores were:

Joeys - 1/0/5
View - 5/4/1
Shore - 2/6/1

Newington's current woes are a concerning tale. After Scots won in 1979 until Grammar's surprise victory in 2011, only three schools won the First VIII over a period of 31 years: Shore (13 times), King's (10) and Newington (8). High now has the longest drought with their last win in 1959 followed by Newington (1998). What's happening with rowing at Stanmore? Or Abbotsford?
I don't understand what you are tying to get at.

High do not take rowing seriously - they do it more for the sake of doing it (which is still a valid motive!), not to win it. I mean seriously, their 4th IV is still in a wooden boat, and I'm dead certain I saw one of their fours with 3 rowers in it.

Grammar it seems have only just started to really push their 1st 8 (huge congrats to them on the 5th).

So really there are 6 serious schools here, and the issue here is that 4 got most placings? Hardly concentrated to me, but I sort of see where you are coming from here. But when you consider that some schools just have periods of downtime, I think there isn't too much to worry about. Newington's third in the 2nd VIII could be the start of something over there, and Scots were doing alright (from memory!) around 2020.

Thanks.

Edit: Here is some footage of the SBHS "4" - am I seeing things?
IMG_5504.jpg

Last edited:

Backintheolddays

Bill Watson (15)
I don't understand what you are tying to get at.

High do not take rowing seriously - they do it more for the sake of doing it (which is still a valid motive!), not to win it. I mean seriously, their 4th IV is still in a wooden boat, and I'm dead certain I saw one of their fours with 3 rowers in it.

Grammar it seems have only just started to really push their 1st 8 (huge congrats to them on the 5th).

So really there are 6 serious schools here, and the issue here is that 4 got most placings? Hardly concentrated to me, but I sort of see where you are coming from here. But when you consider that some schools just have periods of downtime, I think there isn't too much to worry about. Newington's third in the 2nd VIII could be the start of something over there, and Scots were doing alright (from memory!) around 2020.

Thanks.

Edit: Here is some footage of the SBHS "4" - am I seeing things?
View attachment 18454
High had an unwell rower picked up by boat

LegDrive

Frank Nicholson (4)
Thought id come on to congratulate everyone but it appears that has already been done so goodbye 23-24, bring on 24-25!

Good luck to the higher crews competing in nationals this week.

-Legs

thesolicitor

Frank Row (1)
The Chairman’s AAGPS Rowing Awards 2023/24

Senior Rower(s) of the Year: Rogers (K) & Ciesiolka (J)
Junior Rower(s) of the Year: Blatchford (K) & McHutchinson (E)
Coach of the Year: Courts (I)
Coxswain of the Year: Fox (E)
Best Erg Time: Rogers (K)
Best Sculler: Rogers (K)
Most Improved Crew: Shore 4th IV
Most Dominant Crew: Ignatius 2nd IV
Most Improved Rower: Brown (I)
Comeback Rower of the Year: Bergin (E)
Most Dominant School: Ignatius
Most Improved School: St Joseph's
Best Height to Power Ratio: Conna (I)
Best Weight to Power Ratio: Mitchell (J)
Best Time: 5:53.40 (J)
Biggest Upset: King’s 2nd VIII
Biggest Surprise: Shore 1st VIII
Biggest Disappointment: Ignatius 1st VIII
Senior Pennant Winners: Ignatius
Junior Pennant Winners: Shore
Winners of the Major Rennie Trophy: St Joseph's
How is Will ellis (G) not comeback rower of the year, injured for the whole term 4 while grammar looked worse than ever with key rowers moving to other schools and coaching changes but he came in and captained his crew to the most success the school has seen in 12 years

LRUsoldier

Allen Oxlade (6)
What a brilliant day of racing yesterday! I knew from the start of the year that Joey's VIII was going to be strong, with 5 returning rowers. Great to see the Kings 2nd VIII dig deep and manage to beat the undefeated view crew, what a hit out. Glad to see that Shore is bringing the trophy back to the boys.

In all a great day of racing, the crowds were electric! Can't wait for nationals and the season to come.
-TG
well said joeys were excellent and shore deserved all they got. there is a gap with other schools but a great day

Rowman

Frank Row (1)
Personally, I think the crew of the HOTR 2024 would go to the Shore Fourth IV. Having their combination been molded about 2 weeks ago (C. Glancy, W. Bailey, J. Holt, T. Kierse, Coxswain: T. Gray) being able to beat their rivals from lane cove to the finish. Highlighting the coxswain, T. Gray who in his first season, was able to bring back the Penrith City Council Cup to Shore which is a big achievement having Shore last won it in 2021.

The Chairman

Tom Lawton (22)
Coupla points.

Joeys - 1/0/5
View - 5/4/1
Shore - 2/6/1

Newington's current woes are a concerning tale. After Scots won in 1979 until Grammar's surprise victory in 2011, only three schools won the First VIII over a period of 31 years: Shore (13 times), King's (10) and Newington (8). High now has the longest drought with their last win in 1959 followed by Newington (1998). What's happening with rowing at Stanmore? Or Abbotsford?
Rowing is unique sport where you simply can’t turn around a program in a year or two. Rebuilding takes years and sometimes close to a decade. This period of Ignatius’ came about through their Great Escape in 2018. Ever since, they have been building through the quads, and eventually come to be the best shed in the current period. The reason for Shore’s historical dominance is because its engrained within the school that Rowing Dominance is a must. Once parts of the program fall off, its extremely difficult to get them back together. Newington are promising. Their Year 9 1st Quad was undefeated, and their 2nd Quad looks the part. Dunlop, who is a former Shore coxswain is doing good things, and in a few years they will be strong challengers. High are a mystery. Really since 2010, sport has not been a great priority, and MIC’s have came and gone trying to fix it. They will come back someday, but it will be a long way away.

The Chairman

Tom Lawton (22)
Personally, I think the crew of the HOTR 2024 would go to the Shore Fourth IV. Having their combination been molded about 2 weeks ago (C. Glancy, W. Bailey, J. Holt, T. Kierse, Coxswain: T. Gray) being able to beat their rivals from lane cove to the finish. Highlighting the coxswain, T. Gray who in his first season, was able to bring back the Penrith City Council Cup to Shore which is a big achievement having Shore last won it in 2021.
The Shore Fourth IV was a race that they should be proud of. In November, we seemed destined for an Ignatius clean sweep with everyone winning by 10+ seconds. They rowed their race well, especially Kierse who sat in the 4 of the winning Fourth Junior last year, who Stroked the boat admirably. Well done to Andy Hoffmann, first Head of the River win on his first attempt.

The Grail

Ted Fahey (11)
The Shore Fourth IV was a race that they should be proud of. In November, we seemed destined for an Ignatius clean sweep with everyone winning by 10+ seconds. They rowed their race well, especially Kierse who sat in the 4 of the winning Fourth Junior last year, who Stroked the boat admirably. Well done to Andy Hoffmann, first Head of the River win on his first attempt.
I still believe the Shore grading was out in their IVs. Two weeks ago or so I pointed out the Shore 4th IV was 16 seconds faster than their 3rd IV, it won in a time 16 seconds (over 4 boat lengths) faster than Shore's 3rd IV and over 2 seconds faster than Shore's 2nd IV.

Not sure how this could be fair to Riverview's 4th IV that was in the correct order, being slower than their 3rd IV etc?

Don't get me wrong, I respect Shore and their program, great school, but this 4th IV race was not right.

The Chairman

Tom Lawton (22)
I still believe the Shore grading was out in their IVs. Two weeks ago or so I pointed out the Shore 4th IV was 16 seconds faster than their 3rd IV, it won in a time 16 seconds (over 4 boat lengths) faster than Shore's 3rd IV and over 2 seconds faster than Shore's 2nd IV.

Not sure how this could be fair to Riverview's 4th IV that was in the correct order, being slower than their 3rd IV etc?

Don't get me wrong, I respect Shore and their program, great school, but this 4th IV race was not right.
Shore’s grading of Fours was perfectly correct. I had a chat to a parent yesterday in the grandstand and this was what I heard. The Fourth Four was behind constantly throughout the year, had not lost once and had an average erg around the 6:55 mark. They just had a blinder on race day. The Third Four had an average erg around the 6:35 mark, but could not string it together on the water. They were normally on par if not faster than the Third Four. The Second Four had a shocker on race day. That combination was so dominant in the Third Four, they got told by the AAGPS to move it up into the Second Four race where they just had a bad day.

That Shore Fourth Four is not faster than the Third and Second Four, they just had a better race.

CurryontheStick

Bob McCowan (2)
Shore’s grading of Fours was perfectly correct. I had a chat to a parent yesterday in the grandstand and this was what I heard. The Fourth Four was behind constantly throughout the year, had not lost once and had an average erg around the 6:55 mark. They just had a blinder on race day. The Third Four had an average erg around the 6:35 mark, but could not string it together on the water. They were normally on par if not faster than the Third Four. The Second Four had a shocker on race day. That combination was so dominant in the Third Four, they got told by the AAGPS to move it up into the Second Four race where they just had a bad day.

That Shore Fourth Four is not faster than the Third and Second Four, they just had a better race.
What would the average erg time for the Fourth Four be in a typical year @The Chairman?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.