• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

GPS schoolboy rowing 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.

AroundTheAnkles

Dave Cowper (27)
M.Dooley will return.

Shame the Moloney twins are both underage but in year 12

And of course yates(c) still has 2 more years worth of rowing
Gus C, Moloneys and Williams all underage… ie, you could have 5 back, if in a sliding doors moment the parents had delayed sending to kids off to school 12 years ago.

The President

Frank Nicholson (4)
Well done Joeys on your win in the 1st VIII

Who are the year 11 boys from this years 1st VIII's that will be back next year? Are there any up and coming guns to keep an eye out for from the fours or junior eights?
From the Big 3
Galligan (E)
Edwards (E)
Harvey (E)
Farah (K)
Field (I)
McGrath (I)
Davis (I)
Hyles (I)
All these boys are definitely ones to keep an eye on

ReluctantRower

Allen Oxlade (6)
Someone mentioned earlier that Sydney Boys High raced with a wooden boat on Saturday. Can anyone confirm this? Surely that can't be in 2024...

UpnUnder

Allen Oxlade (6)
They hardly raced against the other crews - its not as if they didn't race at all. And when they did (both at the start of the season and 3 weeks ago), they flogged everyone. There was a singular change in the Joey's crew as well, stop pretending that was the boat stopping change you think it is.
It was a significant change, to take the 7 man out of a boat is almost as bad as taking the stroke out, particularly if there is no time to train. You are demonstrating you know nothing about rowing. Regardless, once the Joeys crew was put back together they blew Kings out of the water on the one and only day that actually matters. Kings get
A shot at redemption this week at nationals. Will they take it, have the joeys boys been partying too much, can you taper to set a 6 second PB 2 weeks in a row….. time will tell.

Reactions: FCD

ReluctantRower

Allen Oxlade (6)
Predictions for the CSB8+ at Nationals?

In terms of the win I see a number of possibilities:
- Could Joeys hold off the hounds and continue their relentless streak after HOTR?
- Could Kings or View Bottle their anger from HOTR and make a comeback?
- Or what do we know about the fellas from up north?

It will remain to be seen, let me know of your thoughts.

RR

It was a significant change, to take the 7 man out of a boat is almost as bad as taking the stroke out, particularly if there is no time to train. You are demonstrating you know nothing about rowing. Regardless, once the Joeys crew was put back together they blew Kings out of the water on the one and only day that actually matters. Kings get
A shot at redemption this week at nationals. Will they take it, have the joeys boys been partying too much, can you taper to set a 6 second PB 2 weeks in a row….. time will tell.
Eh - if a crew is so dependent on a one seat, it can be a sign of poor preperation and planning (obviously didn't affect them this year though!). But i agree in many ways the 7 seat is a more critical to a boat than stroke in some instances, though probably not a 5 second difference. Never argued that Joey's did well on the day. Kings unlikely to get the redemption with morale so low, will be interesting to see the other states against Joeys for sure.

The President

Frank Nicholson (4)
Predictions for the CSB8+ at Nationals?

In terms of the win I see a number of possibilities:
- Could Joeys hold off the hounds and continue their relentless streak after HOTR?
- Could Kings or View Bottle their anger from HOTR and make a comeback?
- Or what do we know about the fellas from up north?

It will remain to be seen, let me know of your thoughts.

RR
TSS looks to be the only school that has a shot at challenging the top 4 from the NSW HOTR. Joeys looks set to take out the Barrington Cup with Shore, Kings, TSS and Ignatius all looking to get on the podium

BeoWolf

Frank Row (1)
I don't understand what you are tying to get at.

High do not take rowing seriously - they do it more for the sake of doing it (which is still a valid motive!), not to win it. I mean seriously, their 4th IV is still in a wooden boat, and I'm dead certain I saw one of their fours with 3 rowers in it.

Grammar it seems have only just started to really push their 1st 8 (huge congrats to them on the 5th).

So really there are 6 serious schools here, and the issue here is that 4 got most placings? Hardly concentrated to me, but I sort of see where you are coming from here. But when you consider that some schools just have periods of downtime, I think there isn't too much to worry about. Newington's third in the 2nd VIII could be the start of something over there, and Scots were doing alright (from memory!) around 2020.

Thanks.

Edit: Here is some footage of the SBHS "4" - am I seeing things?
View attachment 18454
Hello gentlemen,
First off, I would like to congratulate the boys from hunters hill on a cracking 1st VIII season. Them winning the Major Rennie trophy, the Kings/PLC regatta and their success throughout the season is a great testament to the season that they had, and for what they still have to come.

I would also like to point out something I believe. A statemnt which I know many people will think is a dig at them, even though it isnt, and it will be considered an open invitation for debate, which is indeed the point of this forum. Many people say that rowing at Sydney High is a joke, which I believe frankly to be an incorrect statement, even though they are consistent finished at the bottom of the pack. Rowing is a majestic sport, one which will be help deep inside for heart for the years to come, and I know for a fact that it is the same for those rowers at High. I know that those rowers spend 10 sessions a week training their bodies to the max, even though it may not look like it from the grandstands. And I KNOW that for any self respecting gentleman, that whoever chooses to take part in this majestic sport does NOT think of it as a joke, and frankly, if some people can't understand that, then maybe you are not focusing on the right things about the sport. Not to mention to legacy of the MICs of Sydney High rowing, with the Barris family ensuring that all crews can use the best equipment possible, with every 4 using a swift, that was made in the past 4 years (exception of the 3rd 4 who used an AusRowTech), and so do the 1st and 2nd VIII. I do understand if I seem like I am being confrontation and do apoligise as that is not my intent, but those rowers do try their hearts out, and that is seen in every regatta with usually almost every crew setting a PB, slowly edging themself closer to the pack, and one day in the near future, they could become competitive in the GPS, but it is unfair to their coaches, and their rowers to say that they think of a sport, which had been kind and accepting to me, as a JOKE. I know that many of those rowers feel accepted by that sport, and people should treat them with as much respect, as they treat the sport

Thank you gentlemen, and once again, I apologise if my comment make anyone feel a certain way, which was not my intention.

BeoWolf

Frank Row (1)
Wow. Spot the SBHS kid, anyone? No one wishes against SBHS (if it came down to it, I genuinely would want SBHS to win hotr over my school) if it was just for a year. But i'm sorry, the times they pull suggest that their effort will need significant improvement if this is to happen.
Yes, but my point somewhere in my rant is that you should at least show them respect, even if their times are poor. All in all, the other GPS schools are able to take in anyone they want, but that is a difficulty for them due to the selectice academic process that they have. Many of them start from a position where they spent their entire childhood hitting the books, whereas their competition are training almost everyday, playing sports and training from a young age. The fact that atleast some of the crews can atleast give one or two crews a fight shows how much they are able to achieve. The effort is there, but the base isn't.

Yes, but my point somewhere in my rant is that you should at least show them respect, even if their times are poor. All in all, the other GPS schools are able to take in anyone they want, but that is a difficulty for them due to the selectice academic process that they have. Many of them start from a position where they spent their entire childhood hitting the books, whereas their competition are training almost everyday, playing sports and training from a young age. The fact that atleast some of the crews can atleast give one or two crews a fight shows how much they are able to achieve. The effort is there, but the base isn't
I suppose you are right - I didn't mean to show disrespect, just assert that without the foundational base that High are lacking, nothing will change.

The Chairman

Tom Lawton (22)
Unacceptable Misjudgment and False Predictions

Dear Chairman,

Your erroneous prediction regarding the first four and the victory of Saint Ignatius in the rowing shorts is utterly unacceptable. Your incompetence has led to embarrassment and loss for our team. Immediate action and accountability are demanded to rectify this gross misjudgment.

Disappointed and Furious, Hero
Got it wrong and i’ll admit that. St Joseph’s I thought were down and out after they got smacked by King’s, St Ignatius seemed a lock for the Second VIII, and Shore had just taken the 1st IV on the Nepean. Got to account for the unexpected on HOTR day next year it seems.

FCD

Banned
Got it wrong and i’ll admit that. St Joseph’s I thought were down and out after they got smacked by King’s, St Ignatius seemed a lock for the Second VIII, and Shore had just taken the 1st IV on the Nepean. Got to account for the unexpected on HOTR day next year it seems.
No need to admit anything sir.
It takes courage to put the prediction’s out there.
You drive a lot of the discussion and banter. Don’t stop

Status
Not open for further replies.