• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Heineken Cup 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Munster have injury doubts POM, DOC, Downey, Earls and Howlett. POM, Downey and Earls are huge losses probably reduce their chance of winning from 5% to 1%.

Joe Schmidt will be choosing from Sexton or Madigan for this one. Personally I'd go with Sexton, far more rounded than Madigan and just has that touch of class that MadDog doesn't have yet.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
Munster have injury doubts POM, DOC, Downey, Earls and Howlett. POM, Downey and Earls are huge losses probably reduce their chance of winning from 5% to 1%.

Joe Schmidt will be choosing from Sexton or Madigan for this one. Personally I'd go with Sexton, far more rounded than Madigan and just has that touch of class that MadDog doesn't have yet.
Archer Out
22 April 2013, 6:07 pm
By The Editor
Stephen Archer will miss Munster's trip to France this weekend after sustaining a wrist injury in the RaboDirect PRO12 game against Dragons last Friday

He is looking at a four plus week recovery period after dislocating a bone in his left wrist. Munster trained today in UL ahead of their duel semi-final assigmnents at the weekend, the senior side in action against Clermont in Montpelier while Ian Costello's British & Irish Cup side take on Leinster in Dooradoyle on Friday.
Costello will oversee that game in Limerick before travelling to Cork to fly out to France early Saturday morning and join up with the senior squad.
News on the injury front is that doubts remain over Peter O'Mahony (hip), Donncha O'Callaghan (knee), Keith Earls (hamstring), James Downey (hand) and Doug Howlett (shoulder) while Mike Sherry didn't train because of tonsilitis.

Think there might be a fair bit of cuteness about this injury update judging by the comments by people in the know on MF.com. It is a mark of how far Stephen Archer has progressed this season that his absence is being so keenly felt. Really sorry for the fella because he has worked fecking hard to improve his scrummaging and a reward of a HEC semi was deserved. Puts loads of pressure on BJ Botha but we all knew that he was going to have to last at least 60 minutes against Domingo anyway. John Ryan has done well on the three occasions I have seen him this season but Domingo could make a bit of a mess of him especially as some experts are forecasting rain (unlikely as that is, I would think).

Of the others, Sherry is fairly vital as well as POM, Downey and the Earl. Sherry's darts were terrible in Newport and our lineout with Sherry's high velocity and accurate throwing was impossible for the Quins to attack in the QF. Dougie is fairly doubtful I understand.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
In fairness PP has Archer not played about 8 minutes in the HEC this season? I only remember him coming on against Sarries and Quins. To be honest I think he is still very vulnerable in the scrum but in fairness to him he has come on this season, next season is massive for him.BJ has been well rested since the Leinster game and is a World Cup winning prop, he and POC have to play 80 minutes for Munster if they are to have a chance.

I suspected Munster might be playing the cute hoor with that one given Clermonts injury issues. I saw that Parra might be playing 10? I'll have a sneaky $10 on Munster if thats true.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
With regard to Archer he may not have played a huge part in Muster's HEC campaign this year but still him being out weakens the match day squad. Also he misses out on the experience of a big semi final away from home. Just going through the build up, prep on the day, experiencing the hostile crowd etc, then possibly coming on towards the end of the game would have done wonders for his development.

On the Leinster side I'd definitely go with Sexton he still ahead of Madigan in my book. Maybe if Sexton was staying next season it might be a different story though and there might have been calls for one of them to move to 12. Still it's a measure of how much Madigan has come on this year that I'd be happy with either one starting at 10.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
In fairness PP has Archer not played about 8 minutes in the HEC this season? I only remember him coming on against Sarries and Quins. To be honest I think he is still very vulnerable in the scrum but in fairness to him he has come on this season, next season is massive for him.BJ has been well rested since the Leinster game and is a World Cup winning prop, he and POC have to play 80 minutes for Munster if they are to have a chance.

I suspected Munster might be playing the cute hoor with that one given Clermonts injury issues. I saw that Parra might be playing 10? I'll have a sneaky $10 on Munster if thats true.
DOC and Dougie confirmed out now. Archer is the second best Irish THP now behind Ross IMHO. Fitzpatrick cannot stay fit, Hagan is just starting to come back to where he was in Galway but is off to the Not Nots next year, Bent is a complete joke (sad to say). White will be IQ by the next world cup but I genuinely believe he will be behind Archer who is turning into a proper weapon in the scrum. Need Moore and Furlong to make the step up fairly soon for Leinster and hear rumours out of the north of the country that McCallister could be playing next year as a THP.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
I think after Ross there is a long drop off in scrummaging standard. Archer is probably the best of a pretty poor bunch, Hagan will improve in the Boshership but is starting from a low base, Fitzpatrick needs to be written off. Bent shouldnt be totally written off, I'll properly judge him once he has a proper pre season but he is looking like a dud the more and more I see him.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
I think after Ross there is a long drop off in scrummaging standard. Archer is probably the best of a pretty poor bunch, Hagan will improve in the Boshership but is starting from a low base, Fitzpatrick needs to be written off. Bent shouldnt be totally written off, I'll properly judge him once he has a proper pre season but he is looking like a dud the more and more I see him.
I promise you Archer is really not far behind now. Where he used to be susceptible to being turned in by an illegal LHP now he is able to hold them out and split them from the hooker. He offers more in the loose than Ross already and has only just turned 25. He can be a bit clumsy at the breakdown, although the size he is, rolling away from the tackle, of which he makes plenty, cannot be that easy. I think a lot of credit must go to BJ Botha for Archer's development. Fitness permitting I really do believe Archer will be pushing Ross hard for the 3 jersey by the time the next six nations comes around. I hope Bent comes good next year but I am afraid I have my doubts.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
I hope Archer is in contention we needs as many international quality THPs as possible. Mike Ross has been our most indispensable player for 3 years the sooner he has competition and back up the better.

On a side note for about 30 minutes on Fox Sports News ticker it said Schmidt was confirmed as Ireland coach, now its that he wants the job. Very strange altogether.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
Thought this might interest some of you, it is the itinerary of one of the Munster fans travelling down to Montpellier. He refuses to fly so his trips are the stuff of legend, God help him if the HEC champions ever wind up playing the super rugby champs in Aus, NZ and SA!?!

I am leaving this afternoon and will arrive in Montpellier at 19.34 tomorow evening.

1. Train depart Limerick 16.45 arrive Limerick Junction 17.11

2. Train depart Limerick Junction 17.19 arrive Dublin Heuston 19.05

3. Luas depart Dublin Heuston 19.21 arrive Busarus 19.46

4. Bus depart Busarus 20.00 arrive Dublin Port 20.15

5. Superferry depart Dublin Port 20.55 arrive Holyhead 00.20

6. Train depart Holyhead 04.48 arrive London Euston 08.33

7. Walk 10 minutes to St. Pancras International

8. Train Eurostar depart St. Pancras 11.31 arrive Paris Nord 14.56

9. Train RER depart Paris Nord 15.10 arrive Gare de Lyon 15.21

10 Train TGV depart Gare de Lyon 16.07 arrive Montpellier 19.34

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Out of curiosity why does he refuse to fly?

Seems Leinster will be playing Sexton at 10 and MadDog at 12, both D'Arcy and Goodman have picked up knocks

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
Out of curiosity why does he refuse to fly?

Seems Leinster will be playing Sexton at 10 and MadDog at 12, both D'Arcy and Goodman have picked up knocks
Don't know. Some journey, although a nice way to see the countryside if you have the time. Thought this might be of interest, if c**ts like Wray and Gillespie get hold of the HEC this is the sort of uninspiring mess we can look forward to. Two teams of overpaid mercenaries playing in front of disinterested 'fans' doing Mexican waves in half empty stadia. But of course it is all the ERC's fault!?! God how I loathe Saracens. Don't much care for Toulon either but Saracens are terrible, allez 'Jonneeeee'.

Todays Telegraph
Saracens fear empty Twickenham for Heineken Cup semi-final against Toulon

Just 20,000 tickets for Sunday's showpiece semi-final have been sold, leabing Saracens fearing a lack of 'home' atmosphere

Grand stage: Saracens flanker Will Fraser tries to promote the Heineken Cup semi-final at Twickenham Photo: GETTY IMAGES

By Mick Cleary, Rugby Union Correspondent
10:00PM BST 23 Apr 2013
Saracens chief executive Edward Griffiths says that the prospect of his club’s Heineken Cup semi-final against Toulon on Sunday being played in front of great swathes of empty seats at Twickenham is “not ideal” for the sport.
Only 20,000 tickets have been sold so far for a game that is under the control of European Rugby Cup, which chose Twickenham as a neutral venue in the country of the higher-ranked team in the semi-final.
StadiumMK in Milton Keynes was mooted and would have been a more suitable backdrop for such a crowd.
Saracens would have preferred Wembley, which they have hired themselves several times in recent years to stage money-spinning matches, but it is not available this weekend.
Saracens have never had a crowd lower than 40,000 for their Wembley matches. The average attendance for a Heineken Cup semi-final over the past five years is 39,500.
The relatively sparse figures on Sunday will be in stark contrast to the 71,000, and perhaps more, who have already purchased tickets for the annual Army-Navy game at Twickenham the previous day.
“It is not ideal for the sport where you have a big game involving two big clubs played in a stadium where there are gaps,” said Griffiths, who also expressed reservations about the club-based competition being run by governing bodies.
“Do I think that there is something inherently wrong with a competition for clubs being run by unions? Probably. The Champions League in football is not run by the FA and other national federations. It would be interesting to see what it would look like if it were.”
Even though the Engish clubs have been at loggerheads with ERC for several months over the future format of the tournament and broadcasting deals, Griffiths refused to lay the blame for this embarrassing episode at ERC’s door. The cheapest ticket is £35.
“They have to run a complex competition across six territories and they have to have a common set of rules,” Griffiths said.
“When we stage matches there are no rules. So we can have group sales of tickets, offer discounts and incentives.
"You can say that they’re being a bit conservative and safety-first but they are operating within the guidelines they set. If they do it for this one game, they have to do it for others.
"They are being even-handed. I don’t hold them culpable. They have one set of rules and they are sticking to them.
"If that means they lack flexibility, lack innovation and the ability to be creative, you can understand why.”
An ERC spokesman said: “Twickenham was selected from the limited number of venues available and was the first choice of Saracens.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Here's hoping for a Toulon Munster final, there is nothing to like about Saracens. In fact I can't think of one redeeming feature that club has, I look forward to them losing their AP titles due to breaking the salary cap soon. Are you off to France PP?

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
Here's hoping for a Toulon Munster final, there is nothing to like about Saracens. In fact I can't think of one redeeming feature that club has, I look forward to them losing their AP titles due to breaking the salary cap soon. Are you off to France PP?
Sadly not off to France, haven't got the cash unfortunately. Hoping to be heading over to Dublin. Although I don't think I will manage to pick up a ticket for Leinster's final, and shouldn't really deprive a Leinster fan anyway, I would hope to be able to pick up a ticket for our final especially if Toulon are in it because their fans don't travel. I will post the teams up as soon as I see them, lots of conflicting rumours about Rougerie, Voosloo and James but I don't care I fancy us to beat whoever we play, I just have a feeling!!! Think you will eviscerate Biarittz, Madigan at 12 could be exciting as long as you keep hold of the ball. P.S did you see the story about Cipriani? As one of the lads said on Munsterfans, he might have done better if he had tried to tackle the bus!?!

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Where does everything think this Clermont side ranks in terms of best HC sides? Surely it would be right up there

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
The Cipriani thing is gas, what a complete idiot!

The Clermont side haven't won anything so they wouldn't be too high. Personally I'd rank the top 3 being:

1. Leicester 2002-2003
2. Leinster 2009-2012
3. Munster 2006-2008

Toulouse, Wasps and the early 2000s Munster side would all rank above Clermont for me.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yeah speaking a little early but they should really win the HC and Top 14 easily. I don't know that much about previous Euro sides (only got into Euro rugby couple years ago) but this current side is so far ahead of everyone else.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
It's a fantastic squad to have but they need to win it to be right up there. Similar to Munster and Leinster who I would have considered as very good HEC sides until they lifted the trophy. They may rectify that this year but obviously myself and a fair few other Irish guys hope that they don't.

Of teams yet to win the HEC I'd put them right up there. If it's an all French final it will be very important for both teams to win their 1st final. The winners could become another Toulousse in HEC terms while the loser could go down as the next in line from Stande Francais, Biaritz i.e. always the bridesmaid and never the bride.

From the teams left in Sarries are the ones I hope don't win. Not just for their negative tactics but for the fact that the seem a souless club to me. Toulon and Clermont may have big budgets but there's a substance to those clubs that's just missing from Sarries. They're the closest to a soccer club that we have in rugby. I wouldn't be surprised to see them relocate out of England at some stage in the future. They're certainly some things on the commercial side that other clubs could learn from them, but the overall package is a big turnoff to me.

There's a massive contrast between Munster and Sarries, on one hand you have what was once an unfashionable province that built itself over long years of hard work and dedication into the best supported side in the world. On the other hand is a mercenary club who seem to be willing to sell their souls to grow their brand. 2 very different strategies both yielding success but one is soulless but because it's a quick fix it may be the way many clubs go in the future. However for me (even as a diehard Leinster fan) Munster is the model club side that every other side in the world can learn from.

There I go again rambling on, sorry about that.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
Just one change on the Munster starting line-up, from the side that ran out against Harlequins, for the semi-final clash with Clermont, a fit again Keith Earls coming onto the right wing in place of Denis Hurley who's named on the bench.
There are two changes to that bench with John Ryan in for the injured Stephen Archer (wrist) while Donncha O’Callaghan’s knee injury sustained against Leinster rules him out, his place going to Billy Holland who replaced him in that game.
It's Earls first outing for Munster since the Racing Metro game in January and first competitive match since the International against Italy five weeks ago.

Munster: F Jones; K Earls, C Laulala, J Downey, S Zebo; R O’Gara, C Murray; D Kilcoyne, M Sherry, BJ Botha; D Ryan, P O’Connell capt; P O’Mahony, T O’Donnell, J Coughlan. Replacements: D Varley, W du Preez, J Ryan, B Holland, P Butler, C Sheridan, I Keatley, D Hurley.

As is normal with Heineken Cup away match weekends extra cover travel with the squad and Johne Murphy and Dave O'Callaghan travel with the squad this weekend

Got to hope BJ Botha doesn't get injured or on the wrong side of Nige because I don't think John Ryan has started a Rabo game leave alone a Heineken cup semi final against the best scrummaging, awkward shaped bastard loose head on earth in Domingo. Billy Holland is not DOC but he is a very dependable fella and strong as a bull.

However, our bench is a weakness against this lot but who cares, the starting xv have got two weeks off before the final so they can give it their all!!!!! GWAN MUNSTER

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Murray, Botha, POC and POM must play 80, they are Munsters 4 best players and there is a serious drop off to they back ups. If Munster can be within a score after 60 minutes they'll win Clermont are seriously fragile mentally when it comes to Irish teams.

Leinster team just announced Healy, Strauss, Ross, Toner, Cullen, McLaughlin, Jennings, Heaslip, Boss, Sexton, Nacewa, Madigan, BOD, McFadden, Kearney. Cronin, McGrath, Hagan, Roux, Ruddock, Cooney, Goodman, Conway

Status
Not open for further replies.