• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Highlanders v Reds Super Rugby 2015 Rnd 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Things just don't get any better for the Reds with Big Kev likely to be out.

When is Orientation Week in Dunedin? Just as likely to be this week, and the Zoo will be completely feral packed to the rafters with excited and excitable students from Otago University baying for a Red scalp.

It was last week. The commentators made a comment about everyone in the Zoo winning tickets there. I think a lot will be back this week as they were having a wonderful time.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Anyway fellas, I going over to Dunedin for this game, couple of Red's suuporters, and a couple of us good guys (kiwis) try to make a game somewhere each year and decided we needed to see the Farr Forsyth stadium, so this is the one we going to, gotta say I looking forward to it too!

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Gel I am sure you were a more positive person in the past? Your profile picture indicates happiness and hair products. Is it age, new fatherhood or something else bringing the cynicism these days?
I still have positive thoughts quite a lot. I just don't always type them because others have already eloquently said what I would have said anyway.

I give a lot of "likes" to the comments of others which I think is a pretty efficient way for me to indicate what my thoughts on a topic might be.

I also don't always say the "good parts"of something in my post because I think of them as probably being self evident anyway and not really needing any discussion. For example when @TOCC buzzed me about having to give credit to RG (and the reds) for their recruitment: I never said it before then, because they had obviously recruited very well, others had already remarked that they had, and me saying so was just going to add another "woot, go reds!!!!" post to a pretty big pile anyway.

I shout loudly at the games, scream at the ref to get the opposition back onside (even when they already are :p ), clap all the reds players at the team announcement and sit there glumly for 5 minutes after we have lost. Just the same as some of you.

I just don't say that stuff because you all do that well enough for me, I reckon.

I also don't post anywhere near as much as some of your guys, so sometimes it is only my 300th or 400th rugby thought that I actually post and it can end up being a run of only the darkest of them.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
Hear all that mate, after the Reds forwards brutality on Saturday I have been on cloud 9 all week and probably a little overly positive about our prospects this weekend, the forwards need to be like that every week, not just when their backs are against the wall. After their timid display against the Brumbies I was a wreck all week at work.

It is a ride being a supporter. My team in the NRL is the bunnies and like with the Reds, if anything success brings so much more anxiety and expectation. Any dip in form and I worry we are headed back to the bad years. I do really appreciate reading everyone's thoughts here over the years, particularly when the Reds suck and someone cracks a decent funny.

Reactions: gel

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It will be interesting to see what Thomson's reception is like back in Dunedin.

They should treat him like a returning hero, but chances are they won't.

Should be a good game. I think the Reds will need to improve again to be a chance of winning this one away.

It will be interesting to see how many of the available players are slotted back in. There's a risk you can make too many changes (even if those players are better on paper) and upset the balance they found last Saturday.

Some of the guys who will lose their spot performed pretty well too.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
JOC (James O'Connor) and FTA are the big ones. That's a significant change to the experience and direction in the backs just with two blokes.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
I would be keeping Frisby at 10, Turner at 15 and slip JOC (James O'Connor) in to start at 14.

JOC (James O'Connor)'s biggest strength is his ability to sniff out a try close to the line. While he looked good running it back while playing 15 up north, I don't think it is as easy to beat defences in Super Rugby by going around the outside. He is better beating a man one on one than making it through traffic. So I'd leave that grunt work to Turner and have Oconnor run the support lines to finish off.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
(^^^^^^ if you get time take your mates to the Speights brewery & the 45 South distillery, both well worth the visit. )

Well WOB, apparently our motel is about 400m from Speights Alehouse , I certainly hope our rooms are on same side of motel as alehouse as could be a few less steps to take.

T

TOCC

I also don't always say the "good parts"of something in my post because I think of them as probably being self evident anyway and not really needing any discussion. For example when @TOCC buzzed me about having to give credit to RG (and the reds) for their recruitment: I never said it before then, because they had obviously recruited very well, others had already remarked that they had, and me saying so was just going to add another "woot, go reds!!!!" post to a pretty big pile anyway.

I don't remember the particulars, but the context of that 'buzz' is that you had said/insinuated the Reds back office had recruited well. It wasn't that you hadn't praised him, it's was more to the point that your post suggested he didn't deserve praise for the recruiting, rather the back office did..

Perhaps i misinterpreted your post..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: gel

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
I don't remember the particulars, but the context of that 'buzz' is that you had said/insinuated the Reds back office had recruited well. It wasn't that you hadn't praised him, it's was more to the point that your post suggested he didn't deserve praise for the recruiting, rather the back office did..

Perhaps i misinterpreted your post..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The mistake was mine - I flippantly used the word "gifted" that caused the initial issue. You promted me to give credit to him and I responded to you clarifying what I meant and gave credit.

At the time, your post made me realise how little credit I had been giving out (and subsequently delving into using overly emotive and errant phraseology) and just focussing on the negative aspects in my posts at that time which is why it was the best example I could think of using recently without having to do an indepth search.

OT: Still waiting on a pick me up post or game teaser to get my hopes up this week.........

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
The Clan lost to the Crusaders who lost to the Rebels who are not great. The Crusaders also lost to the Reds in a trial & looked even worse than they did against the Rebels. Therefore = Reds>Rebels>Crusaders>Clan

Ring around the Rosey, pocket full of....bullshit!

Reds<Rebels>Crusaders>Clan>:eek: >Reds if the Reds players believe that thinking.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Ring around the Rosey, pocket full of..bullshit!

Reds<Rebels>Crusaders>Clan>:eek: >Reds if the Reds players believe that thinking.

Half the squad is injured, our star recruit is on drugs charges and we have the least highly regarded coach in the Aus franchise. Thanks for destroying what little hope we were clinging onto.

Status
Not open for further replies.