• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Homophobic remark in Tahs Brumbies game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Am I too late for the "it's political correctness gone mad" comments?

I think the reaction to all this is way over the top - slur was inappropriate so yes address it but media reaction and size of fine way over the top which reflects political correctness gone way overboard

We live in a nanny state if going to have these sort of reactions to a comment like this on the football field - if was repeat
Offence could understand size of fine but just overzealous society we live in where massive mileage in media seems to made on something compared to other things going on in the world.

What next lock up someone for calling someone on the field a wuss...

It deserved in reality a warning and should have only been a fine like this if
Repeat offence - aru and Waratahs had no choice as otherwise media would have made even bigger circus out of what is politically charged subject

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Maybe we should shun the media and return to being an amateur game?

Surely the media is just as much a reflection of broader society. If readers were more likely to be attracted by headlines of political correctness gone mad than the ARU effectively dealing with homophobic slurs, I'm sure we'd have read more of that.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Offence could understand size of fine but just overzealous society we live in where massive mileage in media seems to made on something compared to other things going on in the world.

Ahh the classic, what about what's going on in the Middle East argument. There are far less noteworthy matters that have received far more media attention than this story.

Also I think it's quite simple, if you think there has been media over reaction, then turn it off and watch/read something else. There is plenty of other news around the world going on......

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
I think the reaction to all this is way over the top - slur was inappropriate so yes address it but media reaction and size of fine way over the top which reflects political correctness gone way overboard

We live in a nanny state if going to have these sort of reactions to a comment like this on the football field - if was repeat

What next lock up someone for calling someone on the field a wuss.

It deserved in reality a warning and should have only been a fine like this if
Repeat offence - aru and Waratahs had no choice as otherwise media would have made even bigger circus out of what is politically charged subject

Can I ask you this, would you write that comment if someone had used a racist slur against someone on the field?

The matter has actually been dealt with very professionally/fairly and resolved quickly. Everyone, including Pots, can now move on. I personally think the issue has recieved the right amount of media coverage because if this incident, and some of the comments on this thread have taught us anything, its that's there's a decent percentage of the rugby community that dont fully appreciate the seriousness of the issue

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
I wonder where the line will be drawn in the future? If the brumbies run out next week and Alexander gets called a fat KHunt will there be a stand there? If a Auckland player calls a tah a Aussie bastard will a fine be handed out?

Not trying to downplay the incident, just wondering how far this would go if a player pushed it and made a complaint, and would someone outspoken like pockcock have a similar strong opinion in these and similar scenarios.

The Raging Potato

Allen Oxlade (6)
Excuse me if I have missed something. Who was directly offended here? I can think of a lot more things that happen on a rugby field that are more problematic than calling a dog a horse and yet are seen as "part of the game".

JJJ

Vay Wilson (31)
Who it's directed at is entirely beside the point. The point is that homophobic language has been deemed contrary to the rules by all governing bodies. You wouldn't ask who an eye gouge had been directed at as a relevant context.

And in the age of ref mics, if a firm stance had not been taken against it, the answer to who was offended by it sooner or later would've been thousands, possibly millions. As they should be.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I think we would all agree that the remark was stupid, insensitive and nowadays inappropriate.

I also think most of the players out there took it as a sledge- nothing more nothing less. The public as it tends to do when controversial issues get raised in the media become polarised and the on field incident is lost in the wider debate.

Feel a bit sorry now for Jackpot. But he has diffused.the matter quickly by admission and Apology. ARU acted decisively and appropriately.

Everyone has been put on notice and the word "faggot" should disappear from those in the rugby community..

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I wonder where the line will be drawn in the future? If the brumbies run out next week and Alexander gets called a fat KHunt will there be a stand there? If a Auckland player calls a tah a Aussie bastard will a fine be handed out?

Not trying to downplay the incident, just wondering how far this would go if a player pushed it and made a complaint, and would someone outspoken like pockcock have a similar strong opinion in these and similar scenarios.

They will be put in sensitivity training about their bullying nature

JJJ

Vay Wilson (31)
Moore adding to his sparse comments on the matter:
Moore said he accepted Potgieter's apology and hoped the game could move on as quickly as possible.
"When you peel it back I don't think he was meaning anything malicious by it, but it's not something that's acceptable in our game and we have to do all we can to get rid of it," Moore said.
Moore said criticism of Pocock, who is a vocal supporter of marriage equality, was wide of the mark and misunderstood his motivations.
"He doesn't want any attention from this, he wasn't using that as an opportunity to further any kind of belief or cause and it's disappointing that people view it that way," Moore said.
"There's no doubt it is a polarising matter and people have very different views on it. But it wasn't done to make a big deal, for all we knew [the slurs] could have been heard by people sitting at home, we don't know what's picked up on microphones. It wasn't designed to be taken as any attempt at grandstanding."

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...ock-on-homophobia-stance-20150324-1m6i6t.html

Status
Not open for further replies.