• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Homophobic remark in Tahs Brumbies game

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

Really? He was fined and far as we know first and hopefully last offence like this. But to not resign a player over this instance when first time and received $20k fine is just over the top as big penalty applied and time to move on.
In most normal cases I would agree however the ARU has a rule which prohibits marquee players from staying any longer then 2 years.. Waratahs were planning on asking the ARU for dispensation to keep Potgeiter longer, his chances of been granted this dispensation just dropped..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

Probably the same people who thought that the SMH was Satan's journal a few months ago, but today treated it's judgement as holy writ.

People don't need to read the SMH to form an opinion, this incident and replay received plenty of airtime across news channels and social media.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
In most normal cases I would agree however the ARU has a rule which prohibits marquee players from staying any longer then 2 years.. Waratahs were planning on asking the ARU for dispensation to keep Potgeiter longer, his chances of been granted this dispensation just dropped..

I would like to think common sense would prevail - yes he made an inappropriate homophobic remark in heat of battle which he received a hefty penalty for (well done to aru and Waratahs for dealing with this quickly and professionally)

If was serial offender or did something like this again could understand but to judge him on this one mistake would be ludicrous

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
What is worrying is not just that the comments were made, but that the player was in an environment where he felt that was acceptable

Seriously?
An environment where you see squirrel gripping, stomping (from what I hear about SA this week), eye gouging, elbows, biting, spitting.
nice to hear it wasn't anyone from the wallabies. the fact that it was a Saffa, makes it less of a PR disaster from an ARU perspective.

Would have been easy to identify........the only other suspects must have been Joubert and Peyper

Latts1992

Herbert Moran (7)
I am pleased to see that Potgeiter has taken responsibiliy for his actions; however I am unsure how constructive the punishment is. Will the fine go to a gay support group for example? Also perhaps Potgeiter should show that he is a better man than his words suggest by engaging with inclusive teams such as the Sydney Convicts.

Fat Cat

Sydney Middleton (9)
what I don't like about Pocock is he uses rugby as the platform to inflict his political views on everyone. he was doing it when he was captain which was wrong. how dare he use being captain of the wallabies to ram his political agenda down our children's throats. it would of been just as easy for him to handle the whole incident off field. You watch it wont be long and he will be running for the greens within the next couple of federal elections.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I am pleased to see that Potgeiter has taken responsibiliy for his actions; however I am unsure how constructive the punishment is. Will the fine go to a gay support group for example? Also perhaps Potgeiter should show that he is a better man than his words suggest by engaging with gay groups such as the Sydney Convicts.

The Sydney Convicts are not a "gay group". They are an inclusive Rugby Club. There is a difference. AFAIK and not that it is my business, there were quite a few straight blokes playing Bingham Cup with the Convicts, Melbourne Chargers, Brisbane Hustlers et al.

It is a great idea that JacPot should spend time in the Convicts environment, but don't call them a gay group.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
what I don't like about Pocock is he uses rugby as the platform to inflict his political views on everyone. he was doing it when he was captain which was wrong. how dare he use being captain of the wallabies to ram his political agenda down our children's throats. it would of been just as easy for him to handle the whole incident off field. You watch it wont be long and he will be running for the greens within the next couple of federal elections.

Heaven forbid.

Won't somebody think of the children?

Surely people just use themselves as the platform for any issues they feel strongly about. People care about David Pocock's views and they get airtime because he is a public figure.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)

Cryinggifs_01_1.gif

Latts1992

Herbert Moran (7)
[quote="Hugh Jarse, post: 724504, member: 207]
It is a great idea that JacPot should spend time in the Convicts environment, but don't call them a gay group.[/quote]

Fixed. I know several people - gay and straight - who play for convicts. That's my bad for not rereading what I wrote.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)

I agree with this in regards to his trespassing incident but not this one.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
I may be going against the trend here, but I feel the penalty is excessive.
$20,000 fine with $10,000 suspended. Additional awareness training. The apology itself. Named and shamed in the international media.
Each of the above in their own right stand to make a huge impact on the player, the game, and all individuals. Put them all together and the player has been handed a very big disciplinary lesson.
However, to constantly link the sin of anti-discrimination in Union and especially to keep raising the issue of racism alongside homophobia has tended to build a pyre for the player which is overstating the size of the problem. Bill Pulver's statement is an example of linking the foul language to racism. This has led to the large fine.
The evidence is that Potgieter let loose with extremely inappropriate language twice. Punish that - not homophobia, discriminatory attitudes, and racism.

Godfrey

Phil Hardcastle (33)
how dare he use being captain of the wallabies to ram his political agenda down our children's throats.

He's not captain of any team. Hopefully that stops any children from taking away his awful, extreme view that it's not ok to bully people for things they can't change and aren't wrong anyway.

You watch it wont be long and he will be running for the greens within the next couple of federal elections.

I hope so too.

Dewald Nel

Cyril Towers (30)
That is complete garbage. Potgeiter brings a lot to the team, he's a good man. He's made a mistake, apologized and copped the penalty. If you don't want him he's got a home here.

Nah. We may not have the best team at the moment, but you can't fault our loosies at all. They're also not the kind of chaps that'll attract this type of attention.

But if you're happy with him, good for you. ;)

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Disgraceful behaviour by Potgeiter

Should be banned for a few weeks and have to work down in Oxford Street during that time.

Maybe that will give him experience and understanding of relevant issues

Status
Not open for further replies.