• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Homophobic remark in Tahs Brumbies game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
It bloody well is against ARU policy. The ARU released it Gay Inclusion Policy only 9 months ago.

Couldn't disagree more, dealing with something behind closed doors does nothing to reinforce the message you are trying to send to other levels of rugby union in this country.

If the ARU and the players truly support this gay inclusion policy then relative punishment for the guilty party is necessary to send a strong message to all members of rugby union that homophobic comments and actions are unacceptable.

Also I dont exactly appreciate this sentiment that Pocock had done something wrong by highlighting the homophobic comments of an opposition player. It was the player who made these initial comments is the one who tarnished the game, he is the one who brought the game into disrepute.. he is the dickhead in this situation, not Pocock.

So all ARU disciplinary matters are now to be conducted in the media are they? A few months ago a number of people of these threads were highly critical of matters to do with the Wallabies being aired in public. The SMH were then public enemy number one trying to destroy rugby, nowthey're the good guys. Wow, this double standard is a good one even by internet standards.

You need to read what I said more carefully - I have no problem with him lodging a complaint on or off the field in regards to this matter or any other. I do have a problem with him going straight to the papers before the authorities have even had a chance to deal with his complaint. If the ARU and/or SANZAR hadn't dealt with it quickly or properly, I'd have no problem with him going to the press to seek resolution.

Merrow

Arch Winning (36)
The comment went to air live and he would've been questioned in regard to it. Doesn't mean he went to the media.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Pocock didn't 'go to the press'. The journos in the box picked up on his on-field comments, and asked him a number of questions on it after the game.

It became a story the minute he made the (appropriate) complaint to the referee.

His comments after the match were generic, and weren't at all attention seeking or sensational.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
The comment went to air live and he would've been questioned in regard to it. Doesn't mean he went to the media.

Something was said on the field, a complaint has been made, that's all I want to say at the moment. Steven Moore Brumbies Captain.

GTPIH

Ted Thorn (20)
If Pocock had said nothing and the ref heard nothing then chances are we would never have known about what was said on the field and there would be no issue to bring the game into disrepute. A bit like the tree falling in the forest with nobody to hear it.

T

TOCC

Quick Hands you're trying to turn this into a witch hunt against Pocock, the person at fault was the one who made the homophobic remark.. Its as simple as that..

Merrow

Arch Winning (36)
If Pocock had said nothing and the ref heard nothing then chances are we would never have known about what was said on the field and there would be no issue to bring the game into disrepute. A bit like the tree falling in the forest with nobody to hear it.
I wouldn't consider that it's bringing the game into disrepute, just the character of one player by the sound of it. On the other hand it says a great deal for Poey and his set of standards.

T

TOCC

SANZAR won't be taking the matter further and leaving it to the ARU

well... the ARU policy is simple, there will likely be some punishment handed out for this..

ARU’s policy on inclusion is simple: Rugby has and must continue to be a sport where players, officials, volunteers, supporters and administrators have the right and freedom to participate regardless of gender, sexual orientation, race or religion and without fear of exclusion. There is no place for homophobia or any form of discrimination in our game and our actions and words both on and off the field must reflect this.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
where exactly is this interview of Pococks that you keep referring to..

It was on Sky news this morning on the 6.30am news and the interview was with Steven Moore. Pococks discussion with the journalist are on the link in post number 1 of this thread and I've also copied parts of it into post number 2.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
He was asked about it by a journalist because said journalist heard Pocock and Moore talking to Joubert about it. What do you want him to do at that point, say nothing?

Say that something was said on the field, a complaint has been made and I don't want to say anything further at this time.

If things aren't handled properly he can let loose with both barrels

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Hopefully the ARU are looking into the much more serious issue of player answering journalist's questions...........

T

TOCC

Say that something was said on the field, a complaint has been made and I don't want to say anything further at this time.

If things aren't handled properly he can let loose with both barrels

So what exactly is your issue with the comments he made after the game and how have they brought the game into disrepute anymore then what was already identified on the field?

His comments, if anything appear as thought he is trying to downplay the issue by making light of the ARU's recent inclusion policy as a means of reducing homophobia.

such as:
"I certainly haven't heard much in the last few years. I guess in the last year or two Australian rugby has started to address, and rightly so from Bill Pulver right down, that there's no room for homophobic language in our sport and we want to make it inclusive.

"Our job as players is to quell it out. That's what we did, I don't think it should be a witch hunt. It's about educating the players and ensuring that rugby does become more inclusive."

"In many ways what happens in sport reflects what's happening in society. The tide has turned on this, becoming more inclusive and moving towards acceptance and marriage equality at some point is going to happen.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Quick Hands you're trying to turn this into a witch hunt against Pocock, the person at fault was the one who made the homophobic remark.. Its as simple as that..

I'm criticising Pocock, not for bringing it to the attention of the referee or for bringing it to the attention of the ARU, but for commenting on it to a journo before the ARU have even had a chance to do anything.

The person who made the homophobic remark should be punished accordingly. There's no place in rugby for that sort of stuff at any level. You are right, he is the person who has brought the game into disrepute. I'm simply disappointed that a player of Pocock's stature hasn't given the authorities a chance to deal with it before commenting to the press.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Bit of a concern, we now cant say;
man up.
you blouse.
who wears the pants.
have to stick with "harden up", so nobody has hurt feelings, well i hope no tear is shed.

No I don't agree with racism, sexism, etc - what next the TH, will get upset because the hooker is cuddling the LH as well.

Sort it out, deal with it appropriately, move on - it was a great game of rugby.

Status
Not open for further replies.