• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Homophobic remark in Tahs Brumbies game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latts1992

Herbert Moran (7)
Im mostly being a pedant here. I just think latent homophobia is more problematic as a broader societal issue. Violence occurs but that from my experience seems to be a less broad problem today - thankfully. Braveheart is definitely against homophobia too, I just dont like the degrees of homophobia argument tbh.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Lol Dismal unfortunately people on a rugby field or anywhere else for that matter don't have the luxury of defining their own context like a standup does.

Anyway to use a homophobic slur to demean someone is fucked. Totally. You are saying that people of that orientation are so bad in your mind that you are now likening someone else to that level. Seriously twisted logic.

If that's the way you roll well I say you deserve to get exposed and ridiculed yourself. No sympathy whatsoever.

Merrow

Arch Winning (36)
Im mostly being a pedant here. I just think latent homophobia is more problematic as a broader societal issue. Violence occurs but that from my experience seems to be a less broad problem today - thankfully. Braveheart is definitely against homophobia too, I just dont like the degrees of homophobia argument tbh.

Join the club

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
There's a line here that seems to imply the Brumbies do know who's responsible..............

Super Rugby officials are sifting through audio clips and video footage to see if there is enough evidence to mount a case against the NSW Waratahs player who allegedly used homophobic slurs in the match against the ACT Brumbies on Sunday.

It's understood the Brumbies also believe the player in question has previously used inappropriate sledging against the ACT side in past matches.

The Brumbies opted not to lodge a formal complaint after flanker David Pocock made on-field complaints to referee Craig Joubert that two ACT players had been targeted with homophobic slurs.

Joubert and the SANZAR match day official included the incident in their post-game report and it's understood there is clear audio of what was said on the field.

It is alleged the NSW player branded two Brumbies players "faggots" and while Joubert said he did not hear the slur, it's understood one of his sideline assistants heard what was said.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...igates-waratahs-incident-20150323-1m5pbz.html

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Fuck all this under the carpet shit. After what the game went through last year, this should be faced head on right in the public regardless how unpleasant. My guess is Pocock just does not have the faith in those who run the game to deal with it properly behind closed doors and making the allegation public to force there hand. Good on him for that. I wouldn't trust the good folk at the ARU to deal with it in a transparent manner either.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
Ideal result from this point is for the guilty party to own up, apologise, admit his mistake, do his councilling and appear in next year's Mardi gras float alongside Poey and the other rugby players.

Last thing we need is a dragged out judiciary and suspension process

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Pocock needs to work out if he's a politician or a rugby player.

Have you been posting on Fairfax..........?

There isn't enough bravery in this world. That Pocock has been slammed after calling out a Waratahs player for allegedly branding a Brumbies player a "faggot" - twice - highlights why.
Instead of applauding him, others trot out hackneyed arguments that footballers should be seen and not heard, and how whatever is said on the field should stay there.

Reader comments on The Sydney Morning Herald's website provide a snapshot of an ugly sentiment.

Says Hatchet: "Pocock should concentrate on his game or stand for parliament."

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/d...ng-up-against-homophobia-20150323-1m5dn2.html

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
the names of the people allegedly involved are definitely getting out there.
Are they?
I just saw a brief statement from the brumbies CEO where he states the culprit is a serial offender.

Either it's an important issue and they should name and shame the player.
If it's not important enough to name the culprit,shut the fuck up.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
My guess is Pocock just does not have the faith in those who run the game to deal with it properly behind closed doors and making the allegation public to force there hand.

I think that's reaching a bit. He made the accusation to the referee on the field, as he felt it deserved sanction at the time. I doubt the ARU crossed his mind at all.

T

TOCC

I think its wrong to speculate on who the player is at this point in time unless you have heard it from the horses mouth, i think this is a disgusting act and we don't want to be speculatively labelling the wrong person.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Don't try to shoot the messenger here. Homophobic slurs have no place anywhere in our society.

I 100% agree. Calling people names is childish, calling people offensive names is offensive and childish and if whatever was said is contrary to the code of conduct the the player or players need to be sanctioned accordingly. Racial and homophobic slurs are contrary to the code of conduct as far as I know. My point is that there is a correct way of doing things, particularly if players are in leadership roles.

When questioned at the presser Steven Moore said something to the effect, words were said on the field, a complaint had been lodged with the ARU and that's all I want to say on the issue. This is the right way to handle things and is what Pocock should have said to any journo.

It pissed me off this morning when I turned on Sky news before work and the sports segment opened with "The Waratahs win over the Brumbies has been overshadowed by a controversy over alleged homophobic slurs by a Waratah play" So the best game of rugby so far in 2015 in Australia isn't reported for the quality of the rugby, but for stuff which should be dealt with behind closed doors according to set protocols.

T

TOCC

I 100% agree. Calling people names is childish, calling people offensive names is offensive and childish and if whatever was said is contrary to the code of conduct the the player or players need to be sanctioned accordingly. Racial and homophobic slurs are contrary to the code of conduct as far as I know. My point is that there is a correct way of doing things, particularly if players are in leadership roles.

It bloody well is against ARU policy... The ARU released it Gay Inclusion Policy only 9 months ago...

ARU’s policy on inclusion is simple: Rugby has and must continue to be a sport where players, officials, volunteers, supporters and administrators have the right and freedom to participate regardless of gender, sexual orientation, race or religion and without fear of exclusion. There is no place for homophobia or any form of discrimination in our game and our actions and words both on and off the field must reflect this.

1. The pillars of this Policy are fundamental to achieving the ARU’s overriding objective in relation to the:
    1. (a) eradication of homophobic actions, discrimination, abuse, bullying, or harassment on the basis of actual or perceived sexual orientation from Rugby; and
    2. (b) development of an environment within Rugby which encourages gay, lesbian and bisexual participation.

My point is that there is a correct way of doing things, particularly if players are in leadership roles.

When questioned at the presser Steven Moore said something to the effect, words were said on the field, a complaint had been lodged with the ARU and that's all I want to say on the issue. This is the right way to handle things and is what Pocock should have said to any journo.

It pissed me off this morning when I turned on Sky news before work and the sports segment opened with "The Waratahs win over the Brumbies has been overshadowed by a controversy over alleged homophobic slurs by a Waratah play" So the best game of rugby so far in 2015 in Australia isn't reported for the quality of the rugby, but for stuff which should be dealt with behind closed doors according to set protocols.

Couldn't disagree more, dealing with something behind closed doors does nothing to reinforce the message you are trying to send to other levels of rugby union in this country.

If the ARU and the players truly support this gay inclusion policy then relative punishment for the guilty party is necessary to send a strong message to all members of rugby union that homophobic comments and actions are unacceptable.

Also I dont exactly appreciate this sentiment that Pocock had done something wrong by highlighting the homophobic comments of an opposition player. It was the player who made these initial comments is the one who tarnished the game, he is the one who brought the game into disrepute.. he is the dickhead in this situation, not Pocock.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
The only person bringing the game into disrepute here is the player who made the homophobic remarks. Slamming pocock for calling attention to it is ludicrous.

He's not being slammed (or not by me anyway) for calling attention to it. I am criticising him for going public with it, when there is a correct way to deal with these matters. If it's not dealt with properly by the authorities, by all means go public.

Steven Moore showed the way - something was said, a complaint the been lodged, that's all I want to say about it.

David Pocock strikes me as a very thoughtful man, I'd be surprised if he didn't realise what was going to happen after going straight to the press. He's turned what should have been a postive for rugby into a negative.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
David Pocock strikes me as a very thoughtful man, I'd be surprised if he didn't realise what was going to happen after going straight to the press. He's turned what should have been a postive for rugby into a negative.

How do you know Pocock went straight to the press?

Pocock and Moore's conversation with Joubert was on the match broadcast..............

Pocock was asked about it afterwards by a journalist.............

This false narrative you keep trying to spread is rubbish.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
He's not being slammed (or not by me anyway) for calling attention to it. I am criticising him for going public with it, when there is a correct way to deal with these matters. If it's not dealt with properly by the authorities, by all means go public.

Steven Moore showed the way - something was said, a complaint the been lodged, that's all I want to say about it.

That is a scorching hot take.

Status
Not open for further replies.