• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Hooper to Waratahs

Status
Not open for further replies.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
I don't understand the comments about NSWRU not caring enough about rugby state wide. One of the major problems with the recruitment for the Tahs I they only have the same number if spots as every other team. There isntg a larger pathway for players to progress therefore players have to leave, you are never going o get your recruitment 100% right in that situation.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
It would be better for rugby development if the brumbies and rebels merged and another team was brought not the Newcastle/hunter/central coast corridor. Would untapped far more potential than currently does.

Sounds ok in theory in terms of numbers, this whole area you mention is quite large and has a decent sized population but too many people from these areas view the Brumbies as an ACT team. The numbers makes sense but the 'hearts and minds' part of it wouldn't.

Oh wait, I didn't read the Rebels part - now that def wouldn't work.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
The southern brumbies taking care of Canberra to Melbourne

Waratahs representing Sydney metropolitan

Hunter .........

Rugby wins.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Why don't the Waratahs take games out there instead?

I mean... they are supposed to represent that part of the country already...

Anyways, you know the Waratahs fans feel threatened when they start talking about dismantling the Brumbies or merging them with other teams...

You think they'd be more concerned with fixing up their own union first... :rolleyes:

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Why don't the Waratahs take games out there instead?

I mean... they are supposed to represent that part of the country already...

Anyways, you know the Waratahs fans feel threatened when they start talking about dismantling the Brumbies or merging them with other teams...

You think they'd be more concerned with fixing up their own union first... :rolleyes:

Why am I threatened?

If you actually bother to read my comments you would see I was coming from a frugle, revenue and player pathway point of view and not from an emotional one such as you.

Canberra are a fantastic club that represents a very small population. I once againstate, if the comp was being run not with heart and tradition that there place in the comp may nit be warranted.

Canberra is already a NSW B side, always has been. Imagine if the rugby forefathers had placed it somewhere it could have made a greater impact on the future of the game.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Does the Newcastle/Hunter Valley region produce more players than Canberra?

Do they have a competition or any teams that could match those in the JID?

Any evidence that it would be financially more viable or anymore interest gathered in that region?

No?

Trolling trolling trolling trolling...

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Does the Newcastle/Hunter Valley region produce more players than Canberra?

Do they have a competition or any teams that could match those in the JID?

Any evidence that it would be financially more viable or anymore interest gathered in that region?

No?

Trolling trolling trolling trolling...

Haha,

If u bothered to read my non trolling, suggestion (again one that acknowledges it usnt going to happen and respects the brumbies as a club) you would see suggested the brumbies and rebels merge, are you saying that the sponsorship/player numbers and resources would be smaller fr a club spanning such an area?

Newcastle/hunter/central coast is a massive player base, it loses out to rugby league and would tap an area north if Sydney to QLD border. It woulda low the waratahs to focus on he metropolitan area and allow the hunter to represent NSw country.

Again, this suggestion is purely based on factors that ignore emotion/tradition and the current structures, it is just a "what if" opinion and in no way a knock at any team whatsoever.

If you believe im trolling, fine, your choice but your comprehension ignores my actual discussion point.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
This thread is digressing somewhat from its subject matter. Maybe a new thread fellas.

Congratulations on the Tahs getting him home. Good for Aussie Rugby as the Brumbies have Fainga'a who also has piles of potential. Our 7 prospects in a national context are very positive indeed.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
WJ...

NSW has enough trouble supporting one team...

Your concept is utterly ludicrous, and rancid troll bait...

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Gee, WJ, you're getting it from all sides...

Nothing less than a bonus point win over the Rebels tonight with TC bagging a brace will make up for it, eh, WJ?

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
WJ...

NSW has enough trouble supporting one team...

Your concept is utterly ludicrous, and rancid troll bait...

I havnt trilled once and have addressed and explained the issues you have raised several times already.

If your to simple to be able to debate or discuss something that is nothing but an opinion stated to start a conversation then fine. But don't dismiss something as trolling cos your to much of a fanboy to see through McCabes arse.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Nice...

Anyways, there's not much to debate...

Your theory is bunk, simply because the Hunter Valley/North Coast doesn't have the player pool or interest to justify its own team, and your suggestion that it would tap into areas of North Sydney is silly because that's already one part of Sydney where the Tahs do have a fanbase...

So, from a financial viewpoint... it really makes no sense...

NSW can only sustain one fledgling rugby team...

But I've got a better idea...

The Brumbies have already taken southern NSW as their catchment...

The Western Force could expand on their title and spread east to cover greater western Sydney...

The Reds could go south through Byron Bay, Newcastle/Hunter Valley etc...

And the Tahs can spread across a vast array of areas such as the Upper North Shore, the Lower North Shore, and the Northern Suburbs...

Everybody wins!

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Indeed, except the brumbies have shown an inability to grow there catchment or attract viewer numbers and sponsorship so although your plan has merit, it still leaves Canberra as a little brother to the other clubs that in a thinking outside the box solution to rugbys problems doesn't really need to be there.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
The last thing I will say on this topic that's off shooted from the original topic (Hooper), is that NSW Country is the only team that could work from a NSW Country area perspective like the Hunter IMO. Logistically and organisational wise it would probably be too much of an ask in the current climate. Until such time the people from these areas will follow all kinds of Super Rugby teams and not necessarily the Tahs.

Lastly, on the popularity of Rugby in the Hunter. Our local Rugby Grand Final for Mens premier ones has got bigger crowds than the Shute Shield grand final. Just sayin' :cool:. Interest and players are there, structure is not.

Status
Not open for further replies.