• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Hooper to Waratahs

Status
Not open for further replies.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
You have to remember in this Sydney Vs Canberra thing that Canberrans on average are:
= Smarter
= Fitter
= Healthier
= Better Educated
= Have more cafe's and restaurants per capita to choose from

...Therfore you Sydney-Siders should bow to the wisdom of your southern masters.

Politians therefore 1 through 4 don't apply.

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
Politicians don’t come from Canberra; they’re sent to Canberra by their kind constituents. Canberraens’ are pragmatists who view these politicians as colourful ambassadors from other parts of Australian…

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
Unfortunately Sydney is like the prettiest girl in the room with little grace... accompanied by her two dogs boy friend... ;)

But I understand Hoops going back to his home town and wish him every success, he is a fine footballer...

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
Unfortunately Sydney is like the prettiest girl in the room
And isn't she just such a beach?

Hooper is a fantastic signing, I would like to see Cutch get another shot next year, and retain Alcock too - otherwise he will probably sign for the Shorks and go home to SA.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
And isn't she just such a beach?

Hooper is a fantastic signing, I would like to see Cutch get another shot next year, and retain Alcock too - otherwise he will probably sign for the Shorks and go home to SA.

I've never got Cutch, he is a decent footballer,but I can't say he has ever done anything to cause me great hope. With the severe ankle injury, I don't see how he should be kept.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I agree.

I prefer Alcock and think his rate of improvement has been excellent.

I think having Hooper and Alcock and our 30 man squad and having a young 7 in our EPS will be good for us next year.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
If you're talking about Jenkins in the EPS, he may not bother. If Salvi can get a gig in the NH and play well enough to start in a lot of games for a top team I reckon Jono could too, though it is harder now to get a contract over there these days.

Although reading tea leaves is more certain than trying to work out some of the contract end dates of the overseas foreign players at the Rebels, I'd like Jono to get Lipman's contract. Lipman is a Rat player who played for Joeys, which makes him a fine fellow on two counts, but he's not Oz qualified; so I'd like Jenkins to get that gig - or McCutcheon, assuming that he has to make way for Hooper.

Alcock seems to be improving, with no defensive gaffes to date, unlike last year, but although he is the better ball runner, Hooper is the better player in my eyes at the minute. I beg leave to change that opinion later on and hope that it will become too tight to call.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I was assuming that Jenkins wouldn't be part of the Tahs next season. I think he'll get a better offer than as an EPS player at whichever franchise.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Oh - you meant a new fellow - and yep, the Jenkins twins are not so young these days are they?

I wouldn't be surprised if the Tahs don't have a 7 in their 2013 EPS with both Alcock and Hooper in the main group. Jenkins wasn't in the EPS this year, come to think of it. Unlike other positions there are a few good 7's in the Sydney comp to cherry pick if there are injuries, as a look at the weekly Rugby News programme will attest.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
I'm not going to lie, the level of smug in Sydney is always very high.

That said, I'm planning to make my first trip to Canberra Stadium in a few weeks for the Brumbies vs Tahs clash. Hopefully I can convince some mates to come with me...
I was down there for the Brumbies vs Sharks game recently and in the spirit of the Canberra vs Sydney rivalry I have to give it to the Brumbies home game. First up I could get beer in a can which fitted nicely in the Brumbies stubby holder I bought ( I collect rugby stubby holders). The stadium was easy to get to and easy to get a cab from. The crowd were decked out in Brumbies gear. One bloke was lining up to buy a Brumbies training jersey despite the fact that he was wearing Brumbies gear from head to toe ' you can never have enough Brumbies stuff' he said. Pretty superficial examples but Overall the city supports their team better than we do. I
really enjoyed heading to Canberra to watch the Brumbies play.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I've never got Cutch, he is a decent footballer,but I can't say he has ever done anything to cause me great hope. With the severe ankle injury, I don't see how he should be kept.

I know what you mean but I thought he was playing his best rugby when injured; a Phil Waugh tight/loose game. I think that coach Foley rated him higher than Alcock at the time.

Yep, it is cruel but with Hooper arriving there is no way he can be retained by my reckoning unless Vickerman pulls the pin.

BPC

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I know what you mean but I thought he was playing his best rugby when injured; a Phil Waugh tight/loose game. I think that coach Foley rated him higher than Alcock at the time.

Yep, it is cruel but with Hooper arriving there is no way he can be retained by my reckoning unless Vickerman pulls the pin.

Cutch strikes me as a Richard Brown kind of player. Can fill in at 6, 7 or 8 at a pinch and has a suprisingly rounded skill set but isn't quite fast enough to start at 7 regularly, not quite heavy enough to start at 8 regularly and not quite tall enough to start at 6 regularly.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Cutch strikes me as a Richard Brown kind of player. Can fill in at 6, 7 or 8 at a pinch and has a suprisingly rounded skill set but isn't quite fast enough to start at 7 regularly, not quite heavy enough to start at 8 regularly and not quite tall enough to start at 6 regularly.

Pretty much spot on. He s a great bloke, a very decent footballer but if he didn't have a number on his back I wouldn't know where to play him.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yep, that was an error by Foley I reckon, if he replaced Alcock with 10 to go Jenkins probably would've made the tackle.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Don't want to derail the thread totally here, but didn't Alcock suffer a timely miss on a certain D. Shipperley earlier on this season? :p

He did indeed, however, he has improved with every performance this season which only a small number of players in aus could say they have.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
Well I would be quite alarmed if he didn't show improvement. Seriously, the improvement from 'missing the tackle' would have to be 'making the tackle'...

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
When those places produce fans and players we'll have a chat...

If NSW Rugby didnt have such a shit house system for developing ALL areas of NSW and not just Sydney these other regions would be able to produce more players. Thats a reflection of the powers that be in Sydney 'looking after the game' not the regions themselves.

There are others but my no.1 example of Newcastle produced players is Luke Burgess who came from the Maitland blacks, this is from the Newcastle/Hunter region.

...and the area already has plenty of rugby fans, a lot of them support NZ and Saffa teams ;)

Totally forgot my original post....um.....oh yeah, good luck to Hooper, as others have said he is coming home, it makes sense. I just hope for his sake his game continues to grow at the Tahs.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
With all this talk of who produced who, and who is going home to where, I can't help but think Eddies and Waratah shield............

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
If NSW Rugby didnt have such a shit house system for developing ALL areas of NSW and not just Sydney these other regions would be able to produce more players. Thats a reflection of the powers that be in Sydney 'looking after the game' not the regions themselves.

There are others but my no.1 example of Newcastle produced players is Luke Burgess who came from the Maitland blacks, this is from the Newcastle/Hunter region.

...and the area already has plenty of rugby fans, a lot of them support NZ and Saffa teams ;)

Totally forgot my original post....um.....oh yeah, good luck to Hooper, as others have said he is coming home, it makes sense. I just hope for his sake his game continues to grow at the Tahs.

It would be better for rugby development if the brumbies and rebels merged and another team was brought not the Newcastle/hunter/central coast corridor. Would untapped far more potential than currently does.

Status
Not open for further replies.