• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Hooper vs Gill

Hooper vs Gill

• Hooper

Votes: 57 51.8%
  • Gill

Votes: 53 48.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Gills running has been getting better and better. The big difference is that Gill is hardly further than 2 m from the ruck for his runs, while quite often the Brumbies use Hooper one or two passes wide. Very hard to compare between them based on this, but clearly Hooper is stronger in contact at this stage, although I think Gill has the better pick and drive technique.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Anyway we are making the wrong comparison for Hooper. I think it should be:

A Fa'ainga vs Hooper

Afterall Hooper is often used in the same channel in attack, and Finger is often talked about as a openside playing in the backs. Both are great in defense, and both similar builds.

So who is better, Finger or Hooper?

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
Anyway we are making the wrong comparison for Hooper. I think it should be:

A Fa'ainga vs Hooper

Afterall Hooper is often used in the same channel in attack, and Finger is often talked about as a openside playing in the backs. Both are great in defense, and both similar builds.

So who is better, Finger or Hooper?

Given the above choice, I would have to say Liam Gill

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Gills running has been getting better and better. The big difference is that Gill is hardly further than 2 m from the ruck for his runs, while quite often the Brumbies use Hooper one or two passes wide. Very hard to compare between them based on this, but clearly Hooper is stronger in contact at this stage, although I think Gill has the better pick and drive technique.

Hooper had a season of club rugby playing 12 for Manly when they were short of centres - and did bloody well.

To me, this will be our next Waugh vs Smith argument. Both great players, but different.

Gill looks great at getting turnovers because of the way the Reds work at the tackle. They attack the legs and have a unit (Gill et al) reaching over and attacking the ball.

Brumbies and subsequently Hooper have a different plan of attack at the breakdown so Hooper gets less opportunities to attack the ball.

JJJ

Vay Wilson (31)
I just hope they all stay in Australia. Pocock is safely capped but have either of the other two been locked out of pursuing an international career overseas? I'd hate for England to suddenly find themselves with a world-class fetcher (would they even know what to do with quick turnover ball?), or for NZ to find their much-sought-after successor to Richie.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
having played opposite hooper growing up in reps (poor me i know, no wonder i never made it very far in the rep scene :( haha) he is a awesome player, but i think he beats gill with his all round game, hooper is fast, can catch and pass as well as a back and runs great lines, from what ive seen of gill he is great too but does not come near hooper in any of these aspects although i do think he is a better pilferer than hooper is

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
Didn't even look at the poll.

Which is better? Blue or red? Tea or coffee? A pie or sausage roll? Hooper or Gill?

Oops, didn't mean to reference the Rugby Club.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I think it's too difficult to choose between pie and sausage roll...

Both are so good, and each one brings something different to the plate...

Personally, I could eat one after the other... and there has to be plenty of tomato sauce...

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)

Personally, I could eat one after the other... and there has to be plenty of tomato sauce...

Does that make Pocock the tomato sauce?

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member

Yeah that was the hardest of the four.

I was looking through the lens of rugby food, where the Sauso roll wins due to its easy consumption and minimal spillage. However if we are looking at a more formal setting then I would probably change to a pie due to its wider variety of flavours and obvious deliciousness.

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
A sausage roll, despite it's simplicity, seems to be harder to do well. So I enjoy it all the more when it is a good one.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member

I was looking through the lens of rugby food, where the Sauso roll wins due to its easy consumption and minimal spillage. However if we are looking at a more formal setting then I would probably change to a pie due to its wider variety of flavours and obvious deliciousness.
Barbarian = Greg Growden.
Quod erat demonstrandum

Penguin

John Solomon (38)

Does that make Hooper a seagull ;-)

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Excellent analysis...

The sausage roll certainly has the convenience of being held together better, while a pie can just result in an absolute mess...

But if there's no regard for decency then that pie is unbeatable...

Status
Not open for further replies.