• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

How are World Cups won?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Bernie was a good defender and had the best inside centre in the world standing next to him. Just sayin' :)

Best flyhalf partnered with the best inside centre...

Excellent goal kicker...

Excellent scrum....

Excellent lineout led by the best lock in the world at that time...

Just an excellent, well balanced XV...

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Yep, I made that point in another thread when talking about our seeming obsession with selections in the backs. The set pieces in 1999 were absolutely rock solid and we were secure at the breakdown, thanks to Wilson and Finnegan.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
New Zealand won't smash our first choice pack. We are susceptible to injuries though.

As a pack, not just NZ will smash the Wallaby forwards but also SA, Eng and maybe one or two others. The Wallabies need to have nil injuries AND every player to play at their absolute best.

Because your 5/8 is the player who orchestrates the attack in the main. I would regard Carter (and Cooper obviously) as an attacking 10, as he runs and passes a lot more than he kicks. His own ability to run from first receiver is a very underrated part of his game.

Whether or not the forwards are getting smashed is another matter entirely.

Yes but attacking as a gameplan has to be embraced by the whole team otherwise it doesn't work.

I once heard one of the Canterbury props talk about how different is was playing with Merhtens at the Crusaders as opposed to Spencer in the ABs. He said that with the Saders, the forwards knew that they may have to go through 7-10 phases before the ball went anywhere else.With Carlos they had to be so much more alert and ready because they may only go 3-4 phases and the ball was gone.

Apart from that, there are plenty of forwards today who have so much skill and pace that to forget about them or under-rate their danger in attack is folly. With guys like Kaino, Spies, Sharpe, TPN, McCaw, Mealamu, Matfield......attacking rugby happens all over the park.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
As a pack, not just NZ will smash the Wallaby forwards but also SA, Eng and maybe one or two others. The Wallabies need to have nil injuries AND every player to play at their absolute best.

Hang on a second- in games against NZ, SA and England last year our pack was never once smashed. Each game was fairly even in the forwards as I recall, although England at Twickers wasn't great (still I wouldn't say we were 'smashed').

On our game we can get on top of any pack in world rugby. I think you underestimate our pack at your own peril.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
New Zealand won't smash our first choice pack. We are susceptible to injuries though.

Hang on a second- in games against NZ, SA and England last year our pack was never once smashed. Each game was fairly even in the forwards as I recall, although England at Twickers wasn't great (still I wouldn't say we were 'smashed').

On our game we can get on top of any pack in world rugby. I think you underestimate our pack at your own peril.

We must have been watching different games.....

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)

Yes but attacking as a gameplan has to be embraced by the whole team otherwise it doesn't work.

I once heard one of the Canterbury props talk about how different is was playing with Merhtens at the Crusaders as opposed to Spencer in the ABs. He said that with the Saders, the forwards knew that they may have to go through 7-10 phases before the ball went anywhere else.With Carlos they had to be so much more alert and ready because they may only go 3-4 phases and the ball was gone.

Apart from that, there are plenty of forwards today who have so much skill and pace that to forget about them or under-rate their danger in attack is folly. With guys like Kaino, Spies, Sharpe, TPN, McCaw, Mealamu, Matfield......attacking rugby happens all over the park.

Typical Kiwi hubris. ;)

R

Richard D. James

The JOC (James O'Connor)/QC (Quade Cooper) combo is so enticing. If only QC (Quade Cooper) could tackle...

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)

I have argued before that you work out what kind of game you want to play first and find the players who can deliver on it. On that basis, you'd choose an attacking 5/8, wouldn't you? And it wouldn't be a mystery to the other players in the team, otherwise the coaches would be failing in their job of getting everyone switched on to the game plan. I agree that you have many points of attack, but what is the job of the halves if it's not to direct traffic and general game management?

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
I have argued before that you work out what kind of game you want to play first and find the players who can deliver on it. On that basis, you'd choose an attacking 5/8, wouldn't you? And it wouldn't be a mystery to the other players in the team, otherwise the coaches would be failing in their job of getting everyone switched on to the game plan. I agree that you have many points of attack, but what is the job of the halves if it's not to direct traffic and general game management?

Kick drop goals and penalties....lol

No....I agree actually and see what you're getting at :)

BTW....did anyone else just want to punch Morne Steyn on the weeknd?? Probabaly just me....(and half of Wellington)

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Kick drop goals and penalties....lol

No....I agree actually and see what you're getting at :)

BTW....did anyone else just want to punch Morne Steyn on the weeknd?? Probabaly just me....(and half of Wellington)

I wanted to kiss him. In a non-gay sort of way. :)

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Sounds like we have already lost the RWC and not a minute has been played. It is almost at the point where people want the Wallabies to lose just so they can say "I told you so".

gone

Ted Fahey (11)
Sounds like we have already lost the RWC and not a minute has been played. It is almost at the point where people want the Wallabies to lose just so they can say "I told you so".

I'm pretty sure that was the reason Bruce started the thread.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
It needs to be pointed out that the referees are not officiating like they did last year...

They're not being as hard on the defenders and many games recently have seen plenty of tacklers not releasing or rolling away, and lying all over the ruck...
Now its the refs? Please tell spikhaza which two teams played in the S14 final last year?

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
True but only a couple of South African teams run the ball, stormers are just the best defensively of them all, and they have yet to face the mighty attacking crusaders and perhaps the Reds. We will see who wins the super 15 at the end of this season, and make a judgement from there.
The thread is now and two grunted away victories at the Bull Ring and Shark Tank means more to this Stormers supporter then any victory over the Saders or/and Reds.

Status
Not open for further replies.