• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Hurricanes V Brumbies Semi-Final, Sat 27th June

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Can the Canes gain redemption for the poor finals' efforts all those years ago? Can the Ponies get over their (considerable) jet-lag?

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Heading east too, so jet lag going to be considerably worse.

I suspect it is going to be a bridge too far and they will run out of puff in the last 20, ala 2013.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Interesting contest especially at the breakdown. Brumbies will need to slow it down and play off their better set piece wile the Canes will look to do the exact opposite. Wide and open is where they will have significant advantage.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Awesome performance by the Brums to become just the 2nd conf-era team to win an away QF but I strongly believe it's just not possible to fly from Aus to Sethfricka, win a QF then fly from SA to NZ & win a SF. Unless they can somehow establish a lead of 15+ in the first 40 they'll get run down in the 2nd IMO.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
Awesome performance by the Brums to become just the 2nd conf-era team to win an away QF but I strongly believe it's just not possible to fly from Aus to Sethfricka, win a QF then fly from SA to NZ & win a SF. Unless they can somehow establish a lead of 15+ in the first 40 they'll get run down in the 2nd IMO.

Well, the Canes could get 15 early red cards, that would help the Ponies' chances.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Can the Canes gain redemption for the poor finals' efforts all those years ago? Can the Ponies get over their (considerable) jet-lag?

Hurricanes have everything in their favour. A metaphorical mountain for Brumbies to climb - having to fly from SA to NZ and play against the best performed team (by a long way) in 2015. I hope they can do it, but it's a big task.

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
Canes have let more points in this year... Brumbies have excellent defence, and break down... An upset is possible, stormers were out coached by Burnie... Can he make a game plan to encourage lose cane play and win? Its certainly very possible with the brums finals experienced players...

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Actually the red card will be an interesting discussion - of late we've seen yellow cards given in Australia and South Africa for tip tackles, or post-game citings because of it.

Then on Sunday morning, Peyper has gone straight to the pocket for red on Speight. I've not seen either the tackle or the context across the game, but think about the possible reasons its suddenly gone to straight red - after all, during RWC2011 this was the stated interpretation, and referees have since become lax.

So, was the game in the bag at the 74th minute, and Peyper felt he was safe in not affecting the outcome?

Did the latest round of updates from World Rugby also include a quiet word on the side, to the effect of "we've talked tough, but we're still copping shit, so start dealing with it onfield".

Or was it a particularly bad incident?

I'm really interested to see it. I'll go find a copy somewhere.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
OK just saw it - Speight is fucked for about 6-8 weeks I'd say.

The fact that De Jongh was pushing him won't help with the judiciary. It wasn't even a tackle or cleanout. Totally off the ball, definite red card, and you can't say that red was punishment enough to be honest.

World Rugby will want to send a message.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)

First thing they have to do is fly straight through to NZ and start adjusting early to NZ time. Trying to do it in two bites is the wrong approach, especially when a trip to Canberra involves deplaning at Sydney and transferring terminals. That just adds to the nightmare. Cape Town to Jo'burg to Auckland to Wellington followed by two days rest would be optimum. Fly Monday, arrive Tues and no training till Thursday. Hard hit out Thursday, light run Friday and then the game Saturday night. Best you can do.

The Brumbies have a good game to hold the Hurricanes in check. I reckon they are a good chance to toss them, especially if Moore plays as well as last night. He had a corker!

Waratahs - Brumbies final is firming up. I don't think the Highlander forwards will hold ours.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
First thing they have to do is fly straight through to NZ and start adjusting early to NZ time. Trying to do it in two bites is the wrong approach, especially when a trip to Canberra involves deplaning at Sydney and transferring terminals. That just adds to the nightmare. Cape Town to Jo'burg to Auckland to Wellington followed by two days rest would be optimum. Fly Monday, arrive Tues and no training till Thursday. Hard hit out Thursday, light run Friday and then the game Saturday night. Best you can do.

The Brumbies have a good game to hold the Hurricanes in check. I reckon they are a good chance to toss them, especially if Moore plays as well as last night. He had a corker!

Waratahs - Brumbies final is firming up. I don't think the Highlander forwards will hold ours.

It's possible to fly from Sydney directly to Wellington without going through Auckland.:)

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
OK just saw it - Speight is fucked for about 6-8 weeks I'd say.

The fact that De Jongh was pushing him won't help with the judiciary. It wasn't even a tackle or cleanout. Totally off the ball, definite red card, and you can't say that red was punishment enough to be honest.

World Rugby will want to send a message.

Tip tackle, head hit the ground first, on the basis of what has happened in the past few weeks I can't see Speight playing for a while.

Only thing in the Brumbies/Speight's favour is that the SANZAR judicial process is so inconsistent, anything could happen. (But even allowing for that, I can't see the punishment being less than 2 weeks)

Benaud

Tom Lawton (22)
Yeah even best case scenario he's still out for this game and next. Who plays there will be interesting. Coleman? Dargaville?

I can't see the Brumbies pulling this off. Haven't seen any odds put up yet but anything less than $5 looks unders. Huge trip to play the best side at their cauldron.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Massive ask this for the Brumbies. I think they'll battle gamely but will come up short in the last quarter, because they'll be knackered from all the travel and a hard game this week. The Canes have got offensive weapons all over the paddock and should win. Not that I'd be disappointed if they didn't of course!

Status
Not open for further replies.