• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Hurricanes vs Waratahs Saturday 6th April

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
This is what is really killing them and they also turn the ball over too often with a poor kick or a poor pass through inexperience or lack of vision or lack of skill.
I think it contributes to my issue of the week - their lack of patience. They know that a turnover or a slow ruck is never more than the next play away so they think they need to score now!

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Maybe the ref's do have it wrong. Was very interesting last night when suddenly the Force were on attack with no time left they managed to put 17 phases together. This happens regularly. Not sure if it can solely be put down to sides less willing to infringe on defence but it seems a big factor.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
3 wins from 7 games and only 1 bonus point in those seven contests is a pretty ordinary start to the season and two of those wins were against the Force and the Rebels. In fact the 3 wins have all been with home ground advantage and only by margins of 5 points, 3 points and 4 points respectively. Whilst I too like the way the Tahs are playing I expected more than they delivered to date and find that the "work in progress" excuse is starting to wear a bit thin.

This is a fairly good example of stats not telling the full story. It needs to be put into the context of a team re building. In that context the Tahs are making progress.

The problem Chieka and the Tahs are having is they are putting so much energy and attention into building their new game that they are probably unintentionally neglecting their previous strengths. I think that is a common problem with any reform package.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Last night the Tahs encapsulated all that's wrong with Australian rugby the last decade:
  • Competition at the breakdown defines New Zealand rugby (the rubber stamp's on order), something we should expect, no, know we'll cop, with every New Zealand encounter. And so it was last night. The instances when Tahs forwards made the tackle and then stood around on the fringe of the breakdown, perfectly positioned for the next breakdown (a la the stand around expert Al Baxter) were too numerous. Unfortunately they were the norm. How many times did we counter-ruck the Canes off their ball? Maybe once? Not good enough with a heavier pack (some 12kg) and six Wallabies. It's become far too commonplace in Australian rugby, forwards standing around having a bludge. This is something the Kiwis are instinctively aware of: the numbers required to compete at the breakdown. If anything they throw one more pig into the fray to ensure their opponent's ball is slowed down, or lost.
  • What's happened to the famed smarts of Australian backs since Horan, Larkham et al retired? All I see is back after back carting the ball up into the inevitable tackle. How easy is it to defend against Horne and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) (and Carter and Ioane and others elsewhere) when opponents KNOW they aren't going to pass the pill. I see this every week in school and club rugby. Have our players caught the league cart-it-up disease by osmosis? Australian backs seemed to've forgotten how to draw and pass, or pass and back up, or pass and loop, or plain bloody pass the pill. I can't remember the last time I saw the ball reach an Australian winger through an ensemble passing movement.
  • Not only backs carting the ball up into conflict but Australian forwards now seem to look to barge up and go down without a thought of a short offload, too many times. It's become the norm the last decade or so. I did notice a slight variation at the Tahs in early 2011 when forwards banging the ball up had another forward glued to his hip ramming him through the first few tackles, but this technique fell by the wayside as the season progressed. I was at the Tahs' end of the paddock for their first game at AAMI in Melbourne that year and was struck by this encouraging practice in their warmups. A good and positive play which somehow hasn't continued. Now it's one-out banging up with the attendant risk of isolation and turnover.
  • The Tahs were bloody lazy with their work realigning without the ball. This is something I'm in complete agreement with Dingo Deans: he likes to see players do a shitload of work off the ball keeping their teams' structures intact. Counter-attacking on turnover ball with more than a couple of backs back to run effectively was one of the joys of watching the Crusaders at the heighth of the reign. ATM most Australian teams are crap at keeping their structures intact after three or four phases.
  • How come this Harbour Bridge-style passing has become the norm recently? About two-thirds of all Aussie passes have to be caught with the recipients' hands well above their heads. The resultant slowing down to catch the ball is killing any creative backline play. Burgess was bad enough at this style but McKibbin's positively poisonous here. This can be easily eradicated by proper technique and practice. Get to it, coaches.
  • The other end of passing, catching the ball, just isn't good enough for professional rugby players. HTF can these blokes spend so much time at training and then drop the bloody ball so many times during a match. It's gotta be mental, or something similar (and it sure must be driving the coaches mental!). The amount of Tah turnovers this year through dropped ball is simply unacceptable. Another thing for you coaches to fix.
Rant over.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
The lack of top quality half-backs from NSW is concerning. McKibben & Lucas from Brisbane (not that I consider McKibben top class) and Hart from NZ. Burgess is from Sydney and is at the tail end of his career, but where are the others?

I have also lamented on other threads about the decline in backline play in Australia since professionalism. The only explanation that I can think of is that these guys are over-coached in some aspects and have no situational awareness, but are under-coached in the core catch and pass skills. Just an opinion/theory.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I'm really excited about savea the younger QH, I know I not only one who was raving about him in last years ITM, but I didn't think he would go quite that well first game in S15, and Juian really seems to have found his confidence at this level, definitely a couple of keepers!!
The type of guys that any coach wants in his team.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
The lack of top quality half-backs from NSW is concerning. McKibben & Lucas from Brisbane (not that I consider McKibben top class) and Hart from NZ. Burgess is from Sydney and is at the tail end of his career, but where are the others?

I have also lamented on other threads about the decline in backline play in Australia since professionalism. The only explanation that I can think of is that these guys are over-coached in some aspects and have no situational awareness, but are under-coached in the core catch and pass skills. Just an opinion/theory.
My theory is that in juniors half back is not recognised as the absolutely crucial position it is. But equally kids dont seem to have the time or inclination to develop the best pass they can - I cannot fathom this.
What happens then is that not many kids have an equally good pass both ways and when, like McKibbin, they have to move from backrow when they become adults, low and behold they have a wobbly pass that gets worse under pressure.
Lack of confidence in their pass then leads to exploration of alternative solutions like running across field and then passing.
Turn off the TV, PS3 etc and get out in the back yard, lane way, balcony and start passing - and do ing it left and right.
While you're at it teach yourself to kick with both bloody feet!

T

TOCC

Nic White is from the Hunter Valley isn't he? Also Nick Phipps is a NSW product.. They are the 2nd and 3rd ranked halfbacks in Australia.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
IS,

Good point. Most young players with great ball skills will want to go to 10 and not 9. It then takes a whole to adapt to the job of digging out the pill, organising the forwards and passing fro the ground.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Nic White is from the Hunter Valley isn't he? Also Nick Phipps is a NSW product.. They are the 2nd and 3rd ranked halfbacks in Australia.
I'm a big fan of White, didn't realise he was from the Hunter. I realise that Phipps is from Sydney, but 'top class', I'm afraid I can't make that leap.

T

TOCC

I'm a big fan of White, didn't realise he was from the Hunter. I realise that Phipps is from Sydney, but 'top class', I'm afraid I can't make that leap.

True true... I wonder if this issue flows over to the quality/quantity of top class 5/8's coming out of NSW as well?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
True true. I wonder if this issue flows over to the quality/quantity of top class 5/8's coming out of NSW as well?
I think that's right. These are 2 of the crucial decision-making positions on the filed and we are badly lacking at both. Certainly in the current squad, there's not much after Foley - Barnes can fill in, when not injured, but he's never made the position his own. (His utility may have worked against him there)

Richo

John Thornett (49)
I agree with the overall optimism but concern with the execution and breakdown work. Watching the game, it was immediately obvious how badly we were getting smashed at the rucks but nothing changed. Hooper needs to work on this part of his game. Talk of the fetcher's demise has been great exaggerated. Savea Jr was MOTM for me purely for how effectively he stifled the Tahs attack.

Foley -- great with ball in hand, erratic as he'll when he chose to kick. Doesn't find touch far too often.

Mitchell -- still making far too many mistakes, but some great running.

Folau -- needs to back himself more. Anyone who still thinks he doesn't pass is a clearly not watching the games.

McKibbin -- needs to kick at 157% to make up for his shit passing and decision-making.

Dennis -- anonymous again.

Kepu -- aside from that good late run, was a bigger benefit to the Canes than the Tahs. Paddy Ryan to start again, please.

Palu -- rusty, but good to see some authority.

Timani -- strong running but his ball security is crap.

Ulugia -- has really not stepped up.

Horne -- a very good game, I thought. He's got a very firm grip in 12. Good defense, good running, better distribution than might have been expected.

rugbyisfun

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Last night the Tahs encapsulated all that's wrong with Australian rugby the last decade:
Rant over.

Standing ovation....seriously, I have pushed back from the keyboard, biscuit crumbs all over the floor, I am standing and clapping.

Tip o the cap to you. Well written.

aeneas

Tom Lawton (22)
I'm really excited about savea the younger QH, I know I not only one who was raving about him in last years ITM, but I didn't think he would go quite that well first game in S15, and Juian really seems to have found his confidence at this level, definitely a couple of keepers!!

If Savea the junior plays like this for any extended period I would not like to be in Sam Cane's boots.

something

Jim Clark (26)
bloody New Zealanders get another brother combo. First Whitelock's now Savea's.... want to give us one?

Status
Not open for further replies.