• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Hypotheticals - 2013 Wallaby Positions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
There's often discussion on these threads about players being played out of their position or where we could move certain players to increase attack/defence/stability in the wallabies. I would like to gather our thoughts in one place as to where provincial coaches should pick their players for benefit of the wallabies and in turn Australian Rugby Union.

Here's my two cents:
1. Joe Tomane to outside center - this will mean McCabe has to stay at 12 for the brumbies (I know a lot of people want him at 13 for the wallabies but I think Tomane has more potential)
2. KB (Kurtley Beale) not to play at 10 for the rebels - only at fullback. I know Gilbert wants to play 10 for the rebels but he should really hone his position at fullback. Just because it worked with Bernie doesn't mean it will work again.
3. JOC (James O'Connor) to play at 12 and 12 only - It's his best position, he's wasted on the wing, too focused on his own ball running to be a 10.
4. Lealiifano to stay at 10 even with the return on To'omua.
5. Ant to play 13 only.
6. Mitchell to play fullback.
7. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) to play 13.
8. Taps to play 12.
9. Harris to play 13.
10. Digby to stay on the wing (yeah I know a lot of people want him at 13 but there's enough options with the above)

What do you think?

J

Jiggles

Position stability is something the Wallabies have been lacking for donkeys and it shits me. As a hypothetical, I would love the national coach and the provincial coaches to be on the same page (lacking big time under Deans) and a 1st XV, 2nd XV, 3rd XV Wallabies chart drawn up for each position. Players are to always to be tried and play in these positions for their super 15 teams. Only extreme circumstances should move them from these positions. Excuse the spelling on the names.

1. Holmes, Robinson, Cowan
  2. Moore, TPN, Hanson
  3. Palmer, Slipper, Kepu
  4. Pyle, Simmons, Carter
  5. Horwill, Fardy, Nevill
  6. Dennis, Schatz, Hodgeson
  7. Pocock, Hooper, Gill
  8. Palu, Higginbotham, Mowen
  9. Genia, White, Kingi
  10. Cooper, Lealilfano, To’omua
  11. O’Connor, Mitchell, Speight
  12. Tapuai, Barnes, Fainga'a
  13. McCabe, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Cummins
  14. Ioane, Tomane, Shipperly
  15. Beale, Foley, Mogg
Players are moved up and down subject to form and injury. Pretty simple and we don’t see the scenario we saw last year of a Props being swapped, and a rookie winger/fullback playing inside centre at a world cup.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
What do you think?

Only one of those that i'm not so happy with is Tomane. It will take a huge effort for Mitchell to get back near his best and Tomane and Shipperly are the next best long term options. Tomane and Ioane would be a devestating wing pairing.

13 is a huge problem but converting others has rarely been a success for the Wobs.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
Only one of those that i'm not so happy with is Tomane. It will take a huge effort for Mitchell to get back near his best and Tomane and Shipperly are the next best long term options. Tomane and Ioane would be a devestating wing pairing.

13 is a huge problem but converting others has rarely been a success for the Wobs.

Tomane grew up playing centre so I don't think it would be a huge transition. That said, next year Speight will be eligible, Mitchell would play wing if Beale is fit, JOC (James O'Connor) can always play on the wing and we've got plenty of options at 12 to cover him. Plus don't forget Turner.

CFS could also play wing for Reds or play 13 (where he played for u20s earlier this year) but with Taps, Harris, Ant, Shippers, Digby, Morahan and Rocket Rod already in the Reds I think he would have been better off trying to get a contract with the force or rebels. Either way, I think there's enough options at wing currently going around (and I'm not counting Vuna).

MrTimms

Ken Catchpole (46)
Staff member
O'Connor has to be at 12 and in my opinion Pat McCabe needs to be given the flick. He's neither large enough or fleet footed enough to play international rugby.

That has to be either trolling or piss taking. By all means say the fleet footed part, but you can't seriously say Pat McCabe is too small so pick JOC (James O'Connor) who is 4cm shorter and 10kg lighter according to their province profiles.

If it's trolling, be careful.
If it's piss taking, be funny.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
That has to be either trolling or piss taking. By all means say the fleet footed part, but you can't seriously say Pat McCabe is too small so pick JOC (James O'Connor) who is 4cm shorter and 10kg lighter according to their province profiles.

If it's trolling, be careful.
If it's piss taking, be funny.

think its more to do with JOC (James O'Connor) being able to step, break tackles, offload etc. McCabe can run in a straight lineand unfortunatly thats about it :confused:

BPC

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Quite simple really:
1. Make sure we have more deposits in belief then the oposition.
2. Increase our learnings out wide.
3. Forwards are to ensure they are a unique group.
4. Grow in stature, take options.
5. Reflection and honing in on what's coming.

Playing what is in front of you is so 2011.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
think its more to do with JOC (James O'Connor) being able to step, break tackles, offload etc. McCabe can run in a straight lineand unfortunatly thats about it :confused:

I've seen McCabe do all those things with the Brumbies this year......... :confused:

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
Let's not let this thread descend into another shit fight about who is better than who, but rather where we would like each player to be playing for their provincial teams. As for both McCabe and JOC (James O'Connor) playing at 12, there is no issue if they both play in that position all season. That will enable us to (not perfectly but more reasonably) pick the best wallaby in the best position. I think the point is that we need to start making sure that we pick players based on what position they are best at rather than picking the most versatile. At most you need 2 or 3 versatile players in your team and we've already got that with AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), JOC (James O'Connor) and to a lesser extent Beale, Harris, Taps and Berrick. If they aren't the best in their position they shouldn't be in the starting side but they could do fantastic things off the bench.

Schadenfreude

John Solomon (38)
The problem is Robbie.

McCabe may have the best ball handling skills in the world, but we'll never see it while Robbie is coach because he just wants hitups.

If Deans asked for variety from his players he would get it - but unfortunately he has a mindset that the only way to play McCabe is as a rugby league forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.