• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Hypotheticals - 2013 Wallaby Positions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
That has to be either trolling or piss taking. By all means say the fleet footed part, but you can't seriously say Pat McCabe is too small so pick JOC (James O'Connor) who is 4cm shorter and 10kg lighter according to their province profiles.

If it's trolling, be careful.
If it's piss taking, be funny.

I didn't think he was piss taking nor trolling. Maybe he portayed his view a bit vague but I think he might have been refering to the vary different styles of play they have. Maybe I am reading it wrong.

BPC

Phil Hardcastle (33)
You're right, now it's about not playing what's behind you. It's so obvious.

Given the number of times the ABs went around the edges of the backline, perhaps this year its play what is beside you (but accelerating rapidly).

kronic

John Solomon (38)
GTFO. Beale at 10, we'll do we want.

JOC (James O'Connor) can dream about playing at fly-half, inside centre or even number 8. He's proven to be mediocre in those positions at the Rebels. Stick him on the wing, he's too much of an individual player, on and off the field.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
GTFO. Beale at 10, we'll do we want.

JOC (James O'Connor) can dream about playing at fly-half, inside centre or even number 8. He's proven to be mediocre in those positions at the Rebels. Stick him on the wing, he's too much of an individual player, on and off the field.

Simmer down kronic. I'm not the one picking your team. As for JOC (James O'Connor), I'd be a bit pissed if my team had spent that much money on a winger.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Why?

Until Drew Mitchell got injured in 2011 he was the Waratahs best player.

A good winger can have such an impact on a team.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
Why?

Until Drew Mitchell got injured in 2011 he was the Waratahs best player.

A good winger can have such an impact on a team.

Fair deuce, I was going to come back and say "Whoops, not JOC (James O'Connor). I meant Higginbotham" but I'll admit when I'm wrong. That said, I'd still have JOC (James O'Connor) at 12 regardless of how much of an individual player he is (which I think is a crock, yeah he likes his hair and his brand but shit the kid can play).

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
JOC (James O'Connor) will be a good centre. He is only 22 for peets sake. I am a massive quade fan but if lealilifano has another good season like last I think he is in trouble. However I feel as though a centre pairing of lealifano and taps could flourish. But I think if we get Mckenzie as coach the wallabies will play the same gameplan as the reds and that is horses for courses

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
Also I know you were joking about timani playing no. 8 but I still vomited a bit in my mouth
He's actually a viable long term option, he just needs to learn to use his massive frame and increase his workrate 10 fold.

Don't get me wrong. At this point in time I wouldn't have him in gold at all but when you see the size of the bloke you can't help but think of the potential impact he could have. The problem is its just potential and reality doesn't always live up to expectations.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
Simmer down kronic. I'm not the one picking your team. As for JOC (James O'Connor), I'd be a bit pissed if my team had spent that much money on a winger.
If he plays anything like Diggers, money well spent.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Quite simple really:
1. Make sure we have more deposits in belief then the oposition.
2. Increase our learnings out wide.
3. Forwards are to ensure they are a unique group.
4. Grow in stature, take options.
5. Reflection and honing in on what's coming.

Thanks for that Swat. I just couldn't figure it out.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
He's actually a viable long term option, he just needs to learn to use his massive frame and increase his workrate 10 fold.

Don't get me wrong. At this point in time I wouldn't have him in gold at all but when you see the size of the bloke you can't help but think of the potential impact he could have. The problem is its just potential and reality doesn't always live up to expectations.

Timani is one of only two players to win their position last Saturday night (Ioane was the other, Hooper played well but McCaw was better). If he continues to improve at the current rate, then he will be pressing to start over Horwill. [Note: Before you go into apoplexy, I said he needs to keep improving to do that, he's a long way from that yet but his improvement over the last three tests has been there for all to see.]

Jiggles team:

1. Holmes, Robinson, Cowan
  2. Moore, TPN, Hanson
  3. Palmer, Slipper, Kepu
  4. Pyle, Simmons, Carter
  5. Horwill, Fardy, Nevill
  6. Dennis, Schatz, Hodgeson
  7. Pocock, Hooper, Gill
  8. Palu, Higginbotham, Mowen
  9. Genia, White, Kingi
  10. Cooper, Lealilfano, To’omua
  11. O’Connor, Mitchell, Speight
  12. Tapuai, Barnes, Fainga'a
  13. McCabe, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Cummins
  14. Ioane, Tomane, Shipperly
  15. Beale, Foley, Mogg
Players are moved up and down subject to form and injury. Pretty simple and we don’t see the scenario we saw last year of a Props being swapped, and a rookie winger/fullback playing inside centre at a world cup.

I like this team. I would make a few changes as follows:
  • Consider Charles over Hanson. I think he's a better player who is overlooked because he is in a worse team.
  • Timani for Fardy. I would pick Douglas as the third THL and put Neville in for Carter
  • Higgers, Dennis, Schatz at 6. This is a really weak area and we need one of the younglings to step up (Jones?) or convert one of the locks. Our lock stocks are reasonable, maybe pick the one with the best engine.
  • Palu, Auelua, and then I'm stumped. McCalman doesn't bend the gain line, Lopeti Timani needs time and I can't think of anyone else who has Palu's skills and Palu is now close to worn out.
  • Mitchell is gone and its 50-50 whether he'll ever get back. Turner should be in.
  • I would put Foley in at 10, he was played at 15 for experience and went OK. To'omua drops out, he has been too up and down.
  • Morahan into Foleys place at 15.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
I agree with you Hawko, it's a pity I wrote that post before Saturdays game but it does mean there's improvement in his game. Good signs

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
I think Douglas and hour will be our locks 2013 with Neville on the bench both Douglas and neville improved out of sight this year and have both Ben monsters in the Shute shield.

I think Charles would consistently make squads ahead of tpn if he plated for the reds or waratahs

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
If I could have my ideal side, fully fit and firing, this time next year (give some players more development time) it would be....

1- James Slipper
2- Stephen Moore
3- Dan Palmer
4- Pyle/Timani (if he can play every week like his last game)
5- James Horwill
6- Scott Higginbotham/Jake Shatz
7- David Pocock
8- Wycliff Palu
9- Will Genia
10- Quade Cooper
11- Digby Ioane
12- Ben Tapuai
13- Pat McCabe
14- James O'Connor
15- Kurtley Beale (if he gets fit and finds form).

Bench: Polota-Nau, Kepu, Timani/Pyle, Shatz/Higginbotham/Hooper, Nic White,Berrick Barnes, Adam Ashley-Cooper.

You know the best bit about that team? Only potentially two Waratahs starting, more Reds and Brumbies.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
If I could have my ideal side, fully fit and firing, this time next year (give some players more development time) it would be..

1- James Slipper
2- Stephen Moore
3- Dan Palmer
4- Pyle/Timani (if he can play every week like his last game)
5- James Horwill
6- Scott Higginbotham/Jake Shatz
7- David Pocock
8- Wycliff Palu
9- Will Genia
11- Digby Ioane
12- Ben Tapuai
13- Pat McCabe
14- James O'Connor
15- Kurtley Beale (if he gets fit and finds form).

Bench: Polota-Nau, Kepu, Timani/Pyle, Shatz/Higginbotham/Hooper, Nic White,Berrick Barnes, Adam Ashley-Cooper.

You know the best bit about that team? Only potentially two Waratahs starting, more Reds and Brumbies.

You forgot a fly-half...

Status
Not open for further replies.