• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Ideas for NRC 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
3. Free NRC passes for junior rugby players. Every registered junior and student rugby player from the cities holding games should receive a pass (in the form of a plastic card) that provides free entry to all NRC matches in their city. The cards should include a fixture list. Alternatively each team could do this individually and give them out to their relevant junior clubs.
How about just free entry to all kids?

I would also have a deal where is a child attends then one adult gets half price entry with the child.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Omar I am with you the marquee concept has to be adopted. Really doesn't matter if not all clubs have one (as very few could afford) but if any of more well backed cashed up clubs e.g sydney stars, could get a high profile marquee player benefits are huge. As what got the crowds for a-league was the DP and hesky and ono signings.

As you say they would not really make much of a difference on the field but off the field huge in terms of building profile of not just the club but for the whole NRC and get the fans attention.

They must adopt/allow a marquee - knowing only couple at most will adopt - but all clubs and NRC itself will benefit and get spinoffs. All about building profile to attract fans. Could put a caveat that will review policy on this in say 3 years.....

Also noted very positive article in Australian on success of NRC....worth a read as definitely very encouraging messages from ARU....

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
ARU hails new National Rugby Championship a success

709986-1a6e583c-63d5-11e4-a27c-15f1c9aaa36f.jpg

Brisbane City celebrate winning the inaugural NRC grand final against Perth Spirit at Ballymore Stadium last Saturday.Source: Getty Images
ARU official Rob Clarke has hailed the inaugural National Rugby Championship an “overwhelming success” and has predicted it will grow in the future.
The ARU set up the NRC this season seven years after the ill-fated Australian Rugby Championship sunk with debts of $5 million after just one year.
Clarke said the NRC’s financial model ensured there was no repeat of the ARC’s money problems, while the development competition delivered on the field, culminating in Brisbane City’s 37-26 win against Perth Spirit at Ballymore on Saturday.
“Given the objectives of this NRC and the stated goals, I think it has been an overwhelming success,” said Clarke, who is moving from the chief executive’s role at the Melbourne Rebels to become the ARU’s general manager of professional rugby.
“It appears … that the financial controls put in place have ensured nobody has suffered significant financial burden. I think we are off to a great start.”
Clarke said the ARU was pleased with the standard of play in the NRC and the attacking style of game, which resulted in 331 tries in 36 matches at an average of 9.2.
“I thought it was excellent,” Clarke said. “If you look across all nine teams, while there was a real mixture of Super Rugby contracted players and aspiring local players, I thought every team had shown real ability to blend those skills and to deliver an entertaining product. Just on the try count alone was quite sensational.
“The stated objective of giving more time on the field to contracted player who may not have seen much activity during Super Rugby and to provide local aspiring club players the opportunity to play in better company at a higher level, then I think it certainly achieved both of those things.
“The law variations were first class and they did exactly what we wanted to achieve, which was focus on running rugby and allow the players to express themselves, and they certainly did that.”
Clarke was unsure of the TV ratings on Fox Sports, but said crowd figures had met expectations with 65,473 spectators in the regular season.
“Crowds were probably consistent with the launch of a new competition and what expectations were based on the tenders that were put forward by each of the clubs,” he said. “Everybody budgeted conservatively for crowds and I think that was right. My estimation is the average crowd was around 1700 to 2000.
“Whilst that’s low on the Super Rugby end of the scale, I think you’ve got to start somewhere and that will grow over time.
“I don’t see that as a major issue. It’s a challenge to market the game and bring attention to the game. I’m sure we can take some learnings from this year into next year and how we might do better.”
The ARU was conducting of review of the NRC to find out ways to improve the competition next year. “There is going to be a full review that has been kicked off by the ARU where all the teams will have the ability to give their learnings and recommendations of what should be changed,” Clarke said. “Marketing support is one area that needs to be focused on next year.”
He expected the same nine teams to compete again next year, but did not rule out expansion of the competition in the future.
“The licences are for two years so I see those nine teams lining up,” he said. “Whether there is another team that … wants to be part of it, I’m not aware of it, but I think the NRC commission is always open-minded about expanding at an appropriate time.”

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
When it says the comp has broken even, I assume they mean the ARU has? I wonder how the clubs fared.

Valid point that more marketing support is needed, which means more expenditure for them without a return (to them). This means the comp won't break even next year unless (1) they just make a greater use of internal resources which sound fairly stretched already, or (2) they get another sponsor or two on board.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
When it says the comp has broken even, I assume they mean the ARU has? I wonder how the clubs fared.

Valid point that more marketing support is needed, which means more expenditure for them without a return (to them). This means the comp won't break even next year unless (1) they just make a greater use of internal resources which sound fairly stretched already, or (2) they get another sponsor or two on board.

I can see more sponsors jumping on board. Obviously being the first year of a new competition (which was already seen as a risk due to the previous incarnation failing) was a bit of a gamble for sponsors to endorse. A few teams, Bris City for one, didn't have a naming sponsor until several weeks into the comp if memory serves me right. The fact the comp (ARU) broke even in its first year should give confidence to potential investors to throw a bit more money behind it now, hopefully.

Wilson

David Codey (61)

I think there is certainly potential for an increase in sponsorship, particularly if they can get more games telecast. You would also think that at least some of the initial year spending can be redirected into marketing this year.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
How about just free entry to all kids?

I would also have a deal where is a child attends then one adult gets half price entry with the child.

There is already free entry for kids of a young age. But they don't know about it! If all the junior rugby players had a little NRC pass card, which had the fixtures relevant to where they live written on it then it might encourage them to pester their parents into taking them. Or for older teens it might encourage them to go with their teammates and other friends.

And yeah, perhaps the pass could allow 1 accompanying adult to get in at half price. So that there is a difference in price for families with rugby playing kids vs non-playing kids.

If the ARU don't do this the teams should do it individually for the relevant juniors in their catchment areas. Might actually be better if the passes are team specific.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)

It's a pity the ARU's financial situation is so poor they need to break even on the NRC from year 1. Ideally they'd be throwing a bit more money at it in the first few years to gain over the long term. Awareness and engagement doesn't come free.

terry j

Ron Walden (29)
2. Double header events in Sydney and Brisbane. Each season should feature a weekend of double-headers, one in Sydney (SFS) featuring the 4 NSW teams and one in Brisbane with the two QLD teams against inter-state rivals. Promote the hell out of them on social media etc. Need to get 20k+. These should be events with a rugby theme, think local bands, sevens matches before and between the main games, kid zones, mini food / craft beer market etc.

very much like. At least trial it and see how the crowds stack up. And it should lead to better viewing figures?

Done properly with all the behind the scenes stuff, maybe jumping castles for the littlies, food stall (like they had at orange), decent grog prices, a band or two?, make it a fun carnival atmosphere then the plus of two games, surely it would work.

T

Train Without a Station

I don't understand how people think double headers is some sort of magic bullet.

Maybe I'm out of touch but I don't get the sentiment or know anybody who thinks along the lines of "oh, there's only one game, so I'm not interested in going" which is why I don't understand how you would expect to get any more fans.

Then there's the fact that for games held in a close proximity on different days that there could be potentially cross over in fans, meaning rather than getting double to games due to a double header, it ends up being close to 1.5 times the people.

I just think any thought of anywhere near 20k is pie in the sky. Bris City got around 8k to the final and QLD Country got something like 5k to their game in Brisbane, which was their highest.

Whilst the double headers may (and that's a big may) project well they could impact on the bottom line for the teams which is a big concern.

I remember the concerns at the beginning was that the competition would feel to plastic and manufactured. I think it's quite the contrary, when you look at some of the teams if anything it feels a little too nostalgic and amateurish actually. A little plastic probably wouldn't go astray in fact. When I watch games they almost feel like amateur rep games, which is not what's going to bring the punters in, evidenced by the lack of punters to the actual amateur rep games.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I don't understand how people think double headers is some sort of magic bullet.

Maybe I'm out of touch but I don't get the sentiment or know anybody who thinks along the lines of "oh, there's only one game, so I'm not interested in going" which is why I don't understand how you would expect to get any more fans.

Then there's the fact that for games held in a close proximity on different days that there could be potentially cross over in fans, meaning rather than getting double to games due to a double header, it ends up being close to 1.5 times the people.

I just think any thought of anywhere near 20k is pie in the sky. Bris City got around 8k to the final and QLD Country got something like 5k to their game in Brisbane, which was their highest.

Whilst the double headers may (and that's a big may) project well they could impact on the bottom line for the teams which is a big concern.

I remember the concerns at the beginning was that the competition would feel to plastic and manufactured. I think it's quite the contrary, when you look at some of the teams if anything it feels a little too nostalgic and amateurish actually. A little plastic probably wouldn't go astray in fact. When I watch games they almost feel like amateur rep games, which is not what's going to bring the punters in, evidenced by the lack of punters to the actual amateur rep games.

Maybe the trophy was the token piece of plastic.;)

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Really do think there are some great ideas in these threads ...hope someone from ARU reading these ideas in these threads....

T

Train Without a Station

Maybe the trophy was the token piece of plastic.;)

QH I like classic style. If it was up to me, every time would be kitted out in butcher stripes.

I however could understand the lack of appeal to others. It actually feels a little too understated. A little bit of Big Bash style flair wouldn't go astray actually.

T

TOCC

my 2 cents

Marquee Player
I'm not a big fan of marquee players in the first couple of seasons, in my opinion the argument for increased exposure and crowds is offset by other factors. What clubs are willing to spend and what they are actually able to spend are 2 separate issues, whilst a club might be willing to spend $100'000 in 2014 on a marquee player that inevitably means that is $100'000 that won't be in invested into other areas of the club. If 'sponsor x' wants to pay his wage for 2014 will they want to spend the same money in 2015?

Whilst the competition is finding its feet, all measures to ensure financial viability need to be enforced, that means limiting financial liabilities, minimising operating costs and keeping expenditure low. ARU can't afford for clubs to overextend themselves and then fold in the first few seasons of the competition, its a bad look and would offset and benefit provided by the marquee player.

Double Header
I like this concept but I don't think its going to draw 20'000 fans, I like this concept because it is a way to minimise costs and it could create a point of difference to other codes. Ground hire would be cheaper for a back to back game compared to game on separate nights, a back to back might be a more attractive broadcasting option to Foxtel since they are able to broadcast 2 games with the same crew.
It should be a family friendly atmosphere, so perhaps make the game times 3:30 and 5:30, as mentioned have jumping castles for kid and all that carnival type jazz to attract the families and keep the families entertained.

Marketing
There are a number of issues to discuss here so i will keep it brief, firstly the ARU and NSWRU dropped the ball in promoting the NRC and their respective NRC teams. Marketing expenditure is low, however the cost of marketing through social media streams is minimal, and through the Wallabies and Waratahs social media stream their are 500'000 followers who could have been made more aware of the NRC.

Building on the marketing issue, the ARU needs to create a central location which is easily accessible for all NRC articles and videos. A central website(www.nrc.com.au) and an NRC Facebook page, I've mentioned it before but the AFL and NRL Facebook pages have more followers then any of the respective teams form their codes.. There is plenty of content created by individual NRC teams which wasn't reaching the wider audience.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
QH I like classic style. If it was up to me, every time would be kitted out in butcher stripes.

I however could understand the lack of appeal to others. It actually feels a little too understated. A little bit of Big Bash style flair wouldn't go astray actually.

I agree that the jerseys could have been better. I also think that perhaps the reason things were a little understated was to do with costs.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
It's all great in hindsight, but FoxSports should have had a package promoting the NRC during the SuperRugby final. 'Now folks is not the end of the rugby, FoxSports in launching the inaugural NRC, who will you support etc.' apart from that Fox have been very supportive.

The Tahs and the ARU should have used the occasion when thousands of viewers were switched on to rugby and excited about the game to launch some inexpensive PR. Shame the opportunity was missed. I remember Fox and Cricket Australia doing it before the BBL. Interviewing players post match about the upcoming BBL season. Hopefully we can ride the Super Rugby momentum into the NRC in 2015.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
I agree that the jerseys could have been better. I also think that perhaps the reason things were a little understated was to do with costs.
North Harbour's jersey is disgraceful. I bought a hat and polo shirt but until they have a decent design I'll give it a miss.

T

Train Without a Station

TOCC fair points regarding the positives of a double header. I didn't consider the potential cost savings and how it would enable additional games broadcast.

I do consider getting as many games on TV as possible to be a top priority.

Status
Not open for further replies.