• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Ideas for NRC 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Not my thang at all, but I DO read a lot about this thing called 'social media' and how it is the way of the future (?)

Instead of spending money on old dinosaurs like 'consultants' howabout the ARU get on board a whole bunch of young rugby nutters (maybe slip 'em a few test tickets) who also are computer savvy. Surely they'd know how to orchestrate a 'social media' thing.

They don't even need rugby nutters. Women in their early 20's are masters of social media.

And considering there a no jobs for journalism grads anymore, I'm sure they could pick up a few very capable social media consultants very cheaply, which is what I suspect the reds have already done considering how slick their social media is.

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)
What the NRC showed is that the QRU is much better at organising shit than the NSWRU. Better jerseys, better branding, better game day experience.

Sydney stars:
- Shit, artificial name. No supporters, no soul, not a lot of talent on the field. Why not just call it Balmain?

NSW country:
- A jersey that is the worst shade of orange ever conceived.

North Harbour Rays:
- Why does every team need a random animal attached to it? Whats wrong with just North Harbour and a nice blue jersey instead of a mismatched harlequin.
A little bit on he negative side I think...
Sydney stars - you could have been describing the qld reds 5 or 6 years ago there. No doubt when they first signed up they would have thought their super stars would've playing more of a role. I am sure they will be working hard to improve on this next season.

NSW country - I could be wrong but I am pretty sure that hideous orange is the same orange the cockatoos have been donning for 100 years. Good on them for keeping with the tradition - similar to QLD country

North Houbour Rays - every sporting team in Australia (bar the aussie cricket team) has some form of name. And a pretty big chunk of them are animals. I am sure people with a marketing background could tell me why but there is obviously a very good reason

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
They don't even need rugby nutters. Women in their early 20's are masters of social media.

And considering there a no jobs for journalism grads anymore, I'm sure they could pick up a few very capable social media consultants very cheaply, which is what I suspect the reds have already done considering how slick their social media is.
The old unpaid intern methodology. Clever - for a while.

Attracting Women in their early 20's may be a challenge given recent events, perceptions and negative media comment and publicity.

Hell West & Crooked

Alex Ross (28)
A little bit on he negative side I think.
Sydney stars - you could have been describing the qld reds 5 or 6 years ago there. No doubt when they first signed up they would have thought their super stars would've playing more of a role. I am sure they will be working hard to improve on this next season.

NSW country - I could be wrong but I am pretty sure that hideous orange is the same orange the cockatoos have been donning for 100 years. Good on them for keeping with the tradition - similar to QLD country

North Houbour Rays - every sporting team in Australia (bar the aussie cricket team) has some form of name. And a pretty big chunk of them are animals. I am sure people with a marketing background could tell me why but there is obviously a very good reason

I find it very difficult to support the Rams due to the involvement of West Harbour - and Eastwood? (yes/no/yes/no/yes) - but I am giving it my best shot over a distance, and I like the ethos / character & identity they have put together.

However, I could never give my whole-hearted support to a Team called the 'Sydney Stars'... A Balmain/University of Sydney side is a whole lot more interesting a concept... (did they not have an alternative name during the lead-up)?

Hell West & Crooked

Alex Ross (28)
I would like to see the NRC embrace Women's Rugby- as an aside - and where possible have Women's game played prior to the main games in the future - With the inclusion of Women's 7S in the Olympics, we are living in a brave new world... (they would have to find separate funding though - i acknowledge that).

Teh Other Dave

Alan Cameron (40)
The NSW clubs need to get their houses in order. The Stars are an obvious problem in terms of only having Uni's player resources, but Eastwood leaving the Rams was a big setback, and the Cockies Eagles failed to get the community involved, especially in Lismore and Gosford.

The NSWRU should be centrally responsible for the NRC clubs, I don't think the idea of having syndicates of clubs present tenders was a particularly good one, and it will white ant the competition's integrity in ensuing years. They should also look to the QRU for a good example of marketing (especially social media, which has been mentioned here previously), where they aimed at both local club's supporters (e.g. 'Red Heavies supporters, come and see Grand Final hero Tom Pincus play for Country') and Reds supporters (e.g. 'This weekend sees Quade Cooper make his return for City').

I'd especially love to see NSW Country succeed. If the annual Dubbo or Orange fixtures developed the same prominence as the Picnic Day races, it would be a beautiful thing - not just for the banal purpose of crowd numbers looking healthy, but to maximise the opportunity of people to enjoy a good day out (the sole reason that rugby exists is enjoyment!).
Likewise, I'd like to see Qld Country travel to places like Toowoomba and Mackay next year instead of being stuck on the Gold Coast. Give the locals a good day/evening at the footy!

Hell West & Crooked

Alex Ross (28)
Another Idea...

Not sure what goes on before an NRC Game, as they don't play over here, but if you want to get people into the 'Habit of attending, how about orgainising a situation where - when the venue allows, that each Home Club hosts various 3rd, 2nd & 1st XV Schools teams from one of their local competitions before the main game - the crowds would stay on for the main game, and the lads would get a taste of what they are working towards...

In 15 Years you will have a whole generation who grew up attending NRC Matches - and attach it to their own experiences.

NSW Country with perhaps Stannies versus Orange....
Sydney Rams with St Pats versus Trinity...
Brisbane with Terrace versus Church for example...

Different Weeks, different Rounds are scheduled according to the individual Associations. Its not really so different fromthe old days, when certain scheduled games were chosen as Test Curtain Raisers - and would require exactly ONE person from each NRC Team to organise it....

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
I like the idea liquor box..and even better for NSW and QLD free entry to any NRC games (where more than one NRC franchise in State)..offer just in early years as get people to the game and then hopefully once got them there and liking the product they will renew a specific membership at club of their choice..

More about building awareness and getting exposure (and trying to minimise losses).in early years/ stage.

But reckon given cost of super rugby memberships you could offer for NSW Waratahs and Reds fans - chance to buy at time of membership signup to also purchase NRC membership to see any of State NRC games for $50 (not $10 as still bargain and means they could attend any of 4 NSW NRC games). Share the $50 amongst 4 clubs..get bigger pie and distribute.just get them to the game.create a habit and following as you say

I feel I should get discounted tickets, as a Reds Member I sort of own the NRC teams!
Even if the lower memberships of the reds ($50 a season) got the $10 dollar option you might be able to get 5000 to each game. This has to make it a more viable.

If 5000 people are at one spot the media has to take notice, even if it is the weather guy on the news being there.

Ballymore should look at having the Eat Street Markets attend a home game or even a small brewery company....make it a night out that the missus will be happy to go to. Who knows, even a bridal fair on one of the spare fields with plenty of champagne could add interest.

The product is great, we just need to form a habit

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
What the NRC showed is that the QRU is much better at organising shit than the NSWRU. Better jerseys, better branding, better game day experience.

Sydney stars:
- Shit, artificial name. No supporters, no soul, not a lot of talent on the field. Why not just call it Balmain?

NSW country:
- A jersey that is the worst shade of orange ever conceived.

North Harbour Rays:
- Why does every team need a random animal attached to it? Whats wrong with just North Harbour and a nice blue jersey instead of a mismatched harlequin.

QRU had a brand to protect as owners of the two teams. They had to be better

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
or at least have an away strip

No, I want a competition without away strips, think of the fans for once and not the jersey manufacturers. We just need the organization to make a tough decision and refuse some of the jerseys and allow others to avoid the clashes.

Just switch Brisbane to gold shorts and blue jersey

hawktrain

Ted Thorn (20)
I've got enough ideas to get an unpaid internship. Some of them might even be good.

Kit wise:
- Get Brisbane wearing the away strip they wore in the semi on a permanent basis, with the gold jersey for clashes e.g. Qld Country games.
- I like that North Harbour wanted to reflect their clubs but I really liked the old CC Rays kit from the ARC. Would prefer them to wear that strip and have the club colours on their socks as they do currently.
- Get either the Spirit or Stars to change their strip. I'd like to see the Spirit go to a predominantly black strip but the heat they play in might deter them.

Crowd-wise:
- As well as offering deals to S15 members, offer something to club members. People who buy club memberships are the heart of support and will tell their mates to tell their mates. Give them a reason to extend their rugby season and attach themselves to their local side.
- Tie games in with other rugby events e.g, Rams playing after the Island 7's comp at Parramatta.
- Force the NHRU to put their hand up and host an Eagles game in Newcastle, costs be damned! I know a number of people that were willing to travel down to Gosford for the semi final, I think if they hosted a game here they could get at least 3k if not more, which would look great in the new facility.

Coverage-wise:
- Loved Sean Maloney's enthusiasm, keep him on. Also George Gregan's commentary was very good. Gerard Middleton also worked well as a sideline man, enjoyed his work.
- Would love to see Fox add an NRC player profile spot on Rugby HQ. Surely wouldn't be that hard to get 2-3 minutes worth of interview on the blokes background, his goals etc, splice in some highlights of him playing at club level etc and bobs your uncle.
- More live streaming the better. As many games covered as possible. Reds set the standard for this in 2014 along with the Rams' deal with BarTV.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
I feel I should get discounted tickets, as a Reds Member I sort of own the NRC teams!
Even if the lower memberships of the reds ($50 a season) got the $10 dollar option you might be able to get 5000 to each game. This has to make it a more viable.

If 5000 people are at one spot the media has to take notice, even if it is the weather guy on the news being there.

Ballymore should look at having the Eat Street Markets attend a home game or even a small brewery company..make it a night out that the missus will be happy to go to. Who knows, even a bridal fair on one of the spare fields with plenty of champagne could add interest.

The product is great, we just need to form a habit

Eat street markets is the best idea mentioned so far.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
A little bit on he negative side I think.

The stars were doomed from the start. Many on this forum were predicting it.

What would have been more captivating is if the stars instead of being a half arsed sydney uni conglomerate, marketed themselves more like their partners the Balmain subbies club do. Where was the unique orange and black hoops. Where was the ring in washed up journeyman like Chabal?

The stars needed to be sydneys toulon. It is their only chance at a successful discourse for the franchise, because who the fuck wants to support sydney uni - especially when they are losing every game.

My advice to the stars is rebrand as Balmain, lobby the ARU to release some of the sydney uni diaspora back to the team (Brugo, Weeks, Talaki etc), and finally sign some old eccentric journeymen like Lote Tuqiri and Rupeni Caucaunibuca.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Here are some great ideas, I hope that the people who run the NRC consider some of these ideas.

Oh yeah, less yellow jerseys, pleaseee

Status
Not open for further replies.