• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Ireland NZ Tour 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Sorry to go off-topic, but...

Gotta get two weeks at least.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
The hype intro for Pfitzy's segment of The 3-Headed Hydra Of The Auckpocalypse and W.Oldboy Show will take at least 20 minutes.

Gus Gould sat up from his slumber, suddenly disturbed.

He felt a deep sense of
wrongness, as if the universe had reached out to him, and him alone, to gently stir his consciousness to a great change.

Flashbacks of State of Origin pre-game dialogues came to him in a torrent. Criticism of refereeing decisions flashed and burned.

He did not know exactly what had changed, but he knew he would never be the same again...

Kevin77

Fred Wood (13)
Sorry to go off-topic, but...

Gotta get two weeks at least.
Agree

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Gus Gould sat up from his slumber, suddenly disturbed.
obama-barrack-obama.gif

Who the hell is "Gus Gould"?

The 3-Headed Hydra Of The Auckpocalypse and W.Oldboy Show is NZ's Premiere Rugby Football Discussion Show, not Pfitzy's half hour chat about his neighbours in Wollongong.

**FINAL WARNING**

Kevin77

Fred Wood (13)
Random Thoughts on the Test Series/The Future

Ireland changing their props on for a scrum on their goal line on the 70th minute of the third test. That almost summed up the belief. Coming into this series it felt there was a step down from starting props to the backups (all respect to Cian Healy who showed he’s still a fine prop in short spurts). I was wondering what the hell we were doing making the change before the scrum. Ireland proceeded to have a solid scrum, in fact it was a dominant scrum and they disrupted NZ and eventually turned the ball over. Such confidence and belief. Summed up Ireland in this series

NZ comeback in third test. I genuinely thought ‘here we go again’. To see Ireland weather the excellence of Ardie Savea, Jordan Barret and Will Jordan in that second half was something special. New Zealand had two purple patches over the three tests and in the first test took Ireland out however in the third, Ireland’s lead and mental resilience saved them

NZ decline. 4 out of 5 losses for NZ. Three to Ireland. One to France. Is it a NZ decline or have they just come up against two great teams? Time will tell.

I think there is no doubt that the All Blacks aren’t functioning at the levels they have for the last 15 odd years. The thing is that they possibly have the players to come back within the timeframe before the World Cup. Maybe they need a new coach/coaches but it genuinely feels like they’re not that far off (that first test where they ran rampant was only two weeks ago). Their two tests in South Africa will be very interesting.

Ireland get to play South Africa and France before the World cup. Bring it on. They’re the two sides Ireland haven’t beaten in the last twelve months. South Africa because they haven’t played in a while (5 years ago when Ireland won 38-3!). These will both be great litmus tests for Ireland as they have big powerful packs. Another good test will be England who are no doubt improving and with Billy Vunipola adding that intense physicality to their pack could make them one to watch in the next year or so.

Ireland’s recovery from the opening test match. Previous Irish teams may have mentally packed it in after that loss. Somehow Ireland managed to turn around a very daunting tour after the loss in the first test match and the loss to the Maori.

The vindication of the Maori games. Performances from Frawley, O’Toole, Treadwell, Timoney, Coombes, Prendergast, Casey etc. Some people suggested that Ireland had bitten off more than could chew with 5 matches in 3 weeks. That seemed maybe true after the first test and loss to the Maori. However Ireland not only created history with a test series win, almost equally impressive was the blooding of the next generation in the Maori matches. The Maori are all but a test team and would give most test playing nations a run for their money so to see what for all intents and purposes was an Ireland A team improve so much from the first to the second match was massive. Plenty of young guys put their hand up including in positions that appeared relatively shallow like prop and ten.

The guys coming behind – Conway, Henderson, Kelleher, Stockdale missed the tour for a variety of reasons and the young ones – mentioned above. There are still guys who could come into consideration like Stuart McCloskey who looked sharp in the Maori match or Will Addison at Ulster if he could get an injury free run. James Hume had to go home injured but is another serious option at outside centere. There are a few positions where depth may be a slight issue however the overall depth of the squad has rarely felt better.

James Ryan – we’ve all been worried that he hasn’t hit the heights that he promised when he broke through. On Saturday he was dominant. Ireland hammered NZ in the first half and he was phenomenal. Tadgh Beirne went up a level near the end of the match and both Irish second rows had a huge impact on the game.

Ireland reliance on players – Sexton, Furlong. This is still an issue but it feels a little bit less so in terms of Furlong. O’Toole was excellent against the Maori and Bealham let no one down. I’d love to see either/both of them get some starts in the lead up to the World Cup.

Sexton is not quite as clear cut. He’s still head and shoulders the best ten in Ireland. Carbery raised as many questions as answers on this tour, mixing the good with the bad but still feels the next man in. Hopefully he can stay injury free through to the World Cup and get his confidence going again at Munster.
Frawley’s performance gave food for thought and the auditions for the back up ten through to the World Cup are well and truly on with Harry Byrne, Ross Byrne, Jack Carty and maybe others all having to lay down a marker at their provinces.

Ireland peaking too soon? – we’ve been here before. A year out from a World Cup and in great form. Let's see how this one plays out

Time to celebrate Sexton. For so long Ireland has collectively worried ‘what happens if Sexton gets injured or loses form’. I think it’s time for us all to just enjoy him. He’s 37 and his performances put him right up there. Still one of the top tens in the world. One day he won’t be here or his form will dictate someone else will play. For now we just need to marvel at how good he is.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
Good to know that an "absorbing tackle" is a thing now. Just an extra factor for the match officials to consider (& potentially get wrong) when assessing head-on-head contact, I s'pose.
So many things that can go wrong! Unfortunately, physics doesn't really obey the laws/logic of rugby.

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

where are all the pics and video of the post match celebrations around Wellington?

Surely we could all do with a laugh at the expense of a few loose Irish supporters.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
where are all the pics and video of the post match celebrations around Wellington?

Surely we could all do with a laugh at the expense of a few loose Irish supporters.
Didn't see any over the top Irish supporters in Wellington. mind you I was watching Wallabies/Englan game. So just maybe it was happening while I was otherwise engaged?

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
You obviously don’t know about AB rugby. The concerns about Foster have been around ever since Hansen made him assistant coach. More than a few fans were hoping for Scott Robertson to get the job. Personally, I was hoping Rennie would get the job but he took the Wallaby one perhaps knowing that the NZRU already had their minds made up about life after Hansen.
Well.. the best rugby team in the world, forget the rankings, put him in there… you lose a few games to a bloody good side and it’s panic stations! If he wasn’t any good why was he put there in the first place? That is a serious question, as I don’t know all the politics of NZ rugby.
I would suspect with the players you have available, Mickey Mouse could coach the All Blacks!
Unless you come up against a better side that is!

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Good to know that an "absorbing tackle" is a thing now. Just an extra factor for the match officials to consider (& potentially get wrong) when assessing head-on-head contact, I s'pose.
Pity it wasn't a thing when Swain was red carded and suspended. His great mop of hair would certainly have absorbed most of the contact with Hill.

Status
Not open for further replies.