• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Ireland NZ Tour 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Still not sold on Cane and Retallicka

Impressed with Tupeaua. Really stood up when it counted

Soup paced game, you score 1, fine, we'll score 2.

AB's smelt the chum in the water when Captain Darling Sexton went off.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
What impressed me the most, I think that was a pretty good Irish team, for all the normal whinges on here ABs went bloody well and deserved their good win. But I am saying that a lot of other teams would of lost by a fair bit more, but Irish just got stuck in.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Still not sold on Cane and Retallicka

Impressed with Tupeaua. Really stood up when it counted

Soup paced game, you score 1, fine, we'll score 2.

AB's smelt the chum in the water when Captain Darling Sexton went off.
The most disappointing part of a run of the mill AB win is the lack or DP tanties.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Taukei'aho definitely needs to start imo. That was my position prior and this match just reinforced it. Speaking of the front row, the props did what they were selected to do - dominate the scrums - but still obviously a very conservative selection that I don't vibe with.

Would like to see Papalii start but accept that's unlikely unless Cane is injured. Ardie's prominence in the second half speaks to his best position imo. In that vein, I hope we see Sotutu is given a go in this series. He was much more involved in the Blues tight play this year and think he deserves an opportunity to try replicate it at test level. Would also offer another legitimate lineout target.

Fainga'anuku was good on debut.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I owe Jordie Barrett an apology, we had a family sweep and my score was 40-19, I told Son I thought JB would miss one comversion!! ;)

Jeffrey

Chris McKivat (8)
very interesting game. The 2 teams were not 23 points apart, but ultimately, the result is everything in rugby. A lot to take away and yet it's also only the first game.

What I like from the ABs were:
- George Bower might really be our best international standard loosehead. He offered himself well, and regularly made ground on attack. On defence, he was less effective, but he looked comfortable out there, good on him.
- Debutants: Good on Leicester and Pita Gus. Leicester was efficient throughout and his ball-carrying was as expected - good. The one thing that Leicester wasn't tested on today was the high ball.
- Fitness: Both sides look ok to be fair. But the ABs were still shifting on defence late into the contest.

What I hope to see more from the ABs are:
- Linespeed on defense, especially on forwards. Every team struggles against a rush.
- Patterns of play on attack. A lot of our attack is based on 1-off runners. surely there must be some plans instead of just relying on players' skills. - Where is the variation, the deception, and the delay? I would love to see Leicester offering himself more as a blind runner, especially when he is not used.
- 100% lineouts. Look - we have 3 locks. Why are we stuck with Ardie at the front as secure ball?
- Increase appetite for physicality across the team. The game is about the physical bosh-up more than ever.

For the Irish - Sexton's fitness is key. POM went well enough, but I expect Conan to get a lot more minutes in the next game. If he's recovered in time, Mack Hansen offers more than Keith Earles, and Jordan Larmour on the bench might be a point of difference. Henshaw played well, but it remains a question if Aki might come shift in at 12, and push him to 13 ahead of Ringrose.
The biggest thing for the Irish is this. That one dropped ball to Sevu Reece changed the game. Mistakes are costly. You can afford to go to another phase. Your ruck is not under great threat from the ABs. Build up the phases, be patient, and the opening will surely come. Conversely, you have to risk-mitigate on the 50-50s.
James Ryan and Tagdh Beirne need to step up more. They will also hope Kelleher is back in time.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Taukei'aho definitely needs to start imo. That was my position prior and this match just reinforced it. Speaking of the front row, the props did what they were selected to do - dominate the scrums - but still obviously a very conservative selection that I don't vibe with.

Would like to see Papalii start but accept that's unlikely unless Cane is injured. Ardie's prominence in the second half speaks to his best position imo. In that vein, I hope we see Sotutu is given a go in this series. He was much more involved in the Blues tight play this year and think he deserves an opportunity to try replicate it at test level. Would also offer another legitimate lineout target.

Fainga'anuku was good on debut.
Sami T will surely have usurped Taylor by the bokke tests.

Still cant believe PSG leapfrogged Sotutu. Can only think they know what Sotutu can bring and he's next cab but still so young. PSG at 27, they want the insurance of depth, so a look at him to see if he's got it at the next level up

Papalii is undeniable. Cane's debut was in 2012 and he is getting run the fuck down

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
What impressed me the most, I think that was a pretty good Irish team, for all the normal whinges on here ABs went bloody well and deserved their good win. But I am saying that a lot of other teams would of lost by a fair bit more, but Irish just got stuck in.
All blacks deserved their win for sure. Dominated Ireland in set piece but Irish showed they can beat the all blacks but as their captain said post match they need to be on their best game and more consistent like they were in last 2 matches where they beat the all blacks.

Quality game…between 2 good sides but Ireland yes will need to improve set piece next game as well as finish of more attacking plays they made as they made a lot of breaks against the all blacks but just could not quite finish off which in part due to good all black defence.

I could say I am neutral but nah would rather see Ireland and other northern hemisphere sides knock off the all blacks as good for the game when NH sides are amongst the top best sides in the world.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
The most disappointing part of a run of the mill AB win is the lack or DP tanties.

I tried to give them something meaningless to latch onto, didn't work so maybe you'll have to do something.

I've been working on text for the rugby ball in the next Bled. We'll be fucked in the rugby but we can screw them on the text for sure.

"McCraw was a cheat! (not very original, but a great and I like it)
Kakapo, call that a parrot?
Doesn't even fly and we've got f'n emus.
Abs can't mall (yeah, OK because they don't have to, but still.)"

And the kicker, it's so easy. "Cassowary". Yeah, that'll do.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
All blacks deserved their win for sure. Dominated Ireland in set piece but Irish showed they can beat the all blacks but as their captain said post match they need to be on their best game and more consistent like they were in last 2 matches where they beat the all blacks.

Quality game…between 2 good sides but Ireland yes will need to improve set piece next game as well as finish of more attacking plays they made as they made a lot of breaks against the all blacks but just could not quite finish off which in part due to good all black defence.

I could say I am neutral but nah would rather see Ireland and other northern hemisphere sides knock off the all blacks as good for the game when NH sides are amongst the top best sides in the world.
Mate honestly almost understand why you want Irish to win, always happens with top teams and always will. But there no doubt that some of NH teams (including Ireland) are among top teams in the world without doubt.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Cane's debut was in 2012 and he is getting run the fuck down

what-did-you-say.gif

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Mate honestly almost understand why you want Irish to win, always happens with top teams and always will. But there no doubt that some of NH teams (including Ireland) are among top teams in the world without doubt.
All blacks fall in rankings to say 6th or 7th I am sure I would support them more. As you say it is normal that you want to see others beat the worlds best (unless you happy to be from that country of course)

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
I tried to give them something meaningless to latch onto, didn't work so maybe you'll have to do something.

I've been working on text for the rugby ball in the next Bled. We'll be fucked in the rugby but we can screw them on the text for sure.

"McCraw was a cheat! (not very original, but a great and I like it)
Kakapo, call that a parrot?
Doesn't even fly and we've got f'n emus.
Abs can't mall (yeah, OK because they don't have to, but still.)"

I will acquiesce to the Wallabies superior shopping skills within a mall. Though I will fight you on the high street shopping. The Wallabies simplified skill sets are fine inside your highly sanitised basic bitch Westfield mall, but they lack the head-up shopping ability to survive on there on the mean (high) streets.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Good old all blacks. Penalty after penalty. Holding Ireland out. Defence next level. Only one card.

ACR

Bob Davidson (42)
The laws are differents for ABs lol
When don’t they… McCaw used to get away with murder.

Been away for a while. Nice to see nothing has changed round here. :)

Good game to watch, Ireland fronted up very well for 20 minutes. You can't make colossal mistakes in test match rugby against top teams though. AB's capitalized well (as they usually do) but the forward pack just isn't as dominant at it used to be. Rugged on defence though.
Not sold on the AB's playing players out of position. An exercise in repetition from selectors.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I will acquiesce to the Wallabies superior shopping skills within a mall. Though I will fight you on the high street shopping. The Wallabies simplified skill sets are fine inside your highly sanitised basic bitch Westfield mall, but they lack the head-up shopping ability to survive on there on the mean (high) streets.

I am simply flabbergasted by your attitude. Though not at all over mall skills. If we spent more time with our forwards at opening day for the Boxing Day sales we might actually learn something.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Ardies strengths aren't so pronounced at test level.
And Ardie has a Man of the Match performance…

Ardie throws himself into every contact, every tackle, every run and while I think he’s not really an 8, it’s hard to argue that he isn’t when he could damn near walk onto any Test team in the world and pull on that jersey.

Bower and Reiki had great games last night and the determination at the end to keep the Irish out was fantastic to watch. I actually thought S. Barrett played well at 6. Not that I want him there for every game but I thought he more than held his own.

Foster has many doubters - I count myself among them - but last night gave us little ammo so I hope he continues to prove us wrong!

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Watched the game at the pub so probably missed a fair bit of the hum-drum stuff that actually wins games & obviously the highlights only show the flashy bits but it seemed to me that the guys who needed to front mostly did, with the exception of Taylor. Samisoni needs to start T2 & im not sure that Coles shouldn't be the 16.

ScoBar seemed to get through more work with fewer errors than I thought he would, so probably worth preserving with. Thought Beaugan showed why he has to be the starting 10 & Nugget the starting 9, both were fantastic. I think even @Dismal Pillock would have to concede that Quinn Tupaea is the business (Ennor IMO proved again that he's not, at least at this level) & deserves to hold his place for the season unless injured.

Status
Not open for further replies.