• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Ireland v Australia, Dublin, 16 Nov 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Happy with that side, but we are really going to have to aim up in the pigs again. I was at that game in Auckland and the way the Irish strangled the life out of us was very frustrating to watch. No Pocock really hurt us that day, but it doesn't need to this week. I think the use of the bench is going to be key and I'd love to see Gill get an extended run off the bench. The backline battle is going to be fascinating and it'll be a good test of our midfield. I like the fact that we've got a nice settled combination out there now and they are playing better every week.

Zander

Ron Walden (29)
1. Cian Healy
2. Rory Best
3. Mike Ross
4. Devin Toner
5. Paul O'Connell
6. Peter O'Mahony
7. Sean O'Brien
8. Jamie Heaslip
9. Eoin Reddan
10. Johnny Sexton
11. Fergus McFadden
12. Luke Marshall
13. Brian O'Driscoll
14. Tommy Bowe
15. Rob Kearney

16. Sean Cronin
17. Jack McGrath
18. Stephen Archer
19. Mike McCarthy
20. Kevin McLaughlin
21. Conor Murray
22. Ian Madigan
23. Robbie Henshaw

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
I think this will be an even game unless it is raining as some people in earlier posts mentioned may be the case.

Aussies are a bit like babes in the wood in the rain but having said that, one of the things I liked about the Oz v Argentina game in Perth, was the way they played in the conditions and toughed out a skinny win.

Neither side is stellar, but there was a lot to like about the Ireland team against Samoa, at least in the 2nd half when the visitors seemed to run out of puff against a fit Ireland side.

The old midfield pairing of BOD and GDA was in vintage form and LHP Jack McGrath had a terrific debut—I bet that Cian Healy was made a bit nervous by the debutant's MOTM performance. And one of my favourite Ireland players, hard-as-nails flanker Peter Mahony of Munster, was difficult to contain, and should be starting again.

But Ireland is sure to bring back some players they had on the bench last week (I haven't seen the home team as I write this), POC will start in the second row and SOB will be in the backrow (what an impact he had from the bench against Samoa). And Sexton should be healthy enough to play this week.

But like Australia, Ireland are frustratingly inconsistent from season to season, and game to game, and even half to half. I expect the home team to have a narrow win (comfortable if it is raining) but I wouldn't be surprised if the Wallabies won if they show up physically.

Edit - have just seen the Ireland team posted by Zander as I was typing this.

I'm surprised that McCarthy didn't keep his place in the second row as he is a harder player than Toner, the skyscraper. Reddan instead of Murray at scrummie is also unexpected, but he played well against Samoa when he came off the bench.

Marshall is chosen instead of D'Arcy at 12. Well, even though D'Arcy was in form last week, the elusive Ulsterman was decent in 6N earlier in the year; so it is not really a surprise. Both D'Arcy and Drico are aging; so give the younger guy as much test rugby as he can get before Drico hangs up his boots; then you don't have to replace two centres at the same time.

BabyBlueElephant

Darby Loudon (17)
Few new players in the Irish set up. Most of you won't watch Heineken cup rugby so I'll run you through any you don't know as some Aussie lads on our forums were decent enough to run us through the new faces you have in your XV.

12) Marshall, plays for Ulster and is one of their best backs. Plays a lot more offensively than D'Arcy and is known for making line breaks pretty much every game. Fast, strongly built. One to watch

23) Henshaw, a real talent, only 20 and has already had the likes of Racing Metro scouting him from what I've heard. Great step, great speed and has a bit of a brain about him.

The fact Schmidt has opted for Reddan, Marshall, Henshaw and Madigan in the team suggests its going to be a gameplan far from what most are expecting here. Ireland will be physical at the breakdown as usual but they won't be trying to slow the game down, they will be wanting a flowing game. This Schmidt guy is a tactical genius if anyone watched Leinster the past three years. Between him and Sexton he know's how to get combo's going. To quote an article last year, "Leinsters backline, well its All Black good". This will be a completely different game to the 2011 one. This game, should, be one of the games of the year, neutral or not.

It'll be more http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PT35orm5-SE than choke after choke tackle.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
That's a pretty damn good team from Ireland. It's going to be a battle and a half.

Like Brown Hornet, I'm still scarred from that night in Auckland. As the match unfolded, there was a stunning inevitability to it all. You knew we were in trouble almost straight away. A dismal night, at least until we astutely hailed a cab and found some far more lively entertainment -- but, to quote Lee, I digress.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Hopefully we see TPN given a full half in the way of a bit if a breather for Moore. Also Gill should get close to a half.
Looking forward to seeing a Robinson, TPN and Ryan front row some time in the second stanza.
It is a good looking side without much to complain about.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
anyone know who'd cover 8 if Mowen gets injured?

McKenzie does (I hate a smart-arse:)).

Depending on how far into the match it is the two possibilities are
  1. Timani on, Simmons to 8 if its early and
  2. Gill on, Fardy to 8 if its after oranges.

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
Is Zebow out of favour? Or just injured??

Like the look of the pack and hope to see Gilly on early in the second half. Would be a good game for Hooper to regain some of his credentials at the breakdown. He CAN be a pest and we've seen it in the past but it definitely hasn't been at the top of his priorities recently.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
We just need a committed game from all our forwards in this match.

If there are two or more forwards who really don't turn up then our pack as a whole will get smashed.

I think Kepu, Slipper and Horwill are particularly important and need to have a strong involvement in the first half in particular. We have to set the tone early and compete around the park.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Is Zebow out of favour? Or just injured??

Zebo is currently out with a foot injury and he'll be out for another 5 or 6 weeks. Craig Gilroy & Keith Earls are also out injured hence McFadden being in the starting team.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
^^^ I'd say Fardy has played there a bit in his time too. Not at this level to be sure but enough to lock the scrum if we need to boost it up..i.e. Bring Timani on, Simmons to 6 and Fardy to 8.

BPC

Phil Hardcastle (33)
So, Ben Alexander is being 'rested'.

Is this rested in the same way that you rest a racehorse with a broken leg?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
So, Ben Alexander is being 'rested'.

Is this rested in the same way that you rest a racehorse with a broken leg?

I genuinely think he is being rested because of advice from the medical staff.

There's been no indication that his spot was in any danger (outside of the opinions of every Wallaby fan). I expect we'll see him back next week against Scotland.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
^^^ I'd say Fardy has played there a bit in his time too. Not at this level to be sure but enough to lock the scrum if we need to boost it up..i.e. Bring Timani on, Simmons to 6 and Fardy to 8.

I was going for mobility

Status
Not open for further replies.