• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Ireland v Australia, Dublin, 16 Nov 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I'm really looking forward to the game now, getting really excited already. Both teams are in a very similar place.

Previous coach had one really good season where they achieved something that hadn't happened in a long time. But after that the team went into decline.

Both underperformed in key games in the RWC but despite that the Union signed them up for another contract. Team went from bad to worse post RWC.

Form was inconsistent with a good performance that gave a glimmer of hope quickly followed by an abject failure leaving you to wonder how the same players could produce such differing performances so close together.

There was confusion about what exactly the team was trying to do in terms of game plan. Coach was conservative and seemed to play not to lose rather than to aggressively go for the win.

Coach had favourite players who, no matter how badly they performed, or how many inform alternatives there were, seemed to always get picked. At the same time other players were ignored no matter how well they were playing.

Changes to the team were often enforced through injury rather than there being an identifiable plan to create depth by giving younger players much needed experience at test level.

The final couple of seasons most felt it was a case of when they would go rather than if.

Now we both have a new coach who the majority of rugby fans in our respective countries have been calling for as head coach of the national team for some time. Both like to play expansive, attractive rugby. Both have to contend with a long injury list with some key players out long term.

Both sets of fans are full of optimism for the future and the consensus would be that both teams should be in a better state by 2015 than they currently are.

With so much in common it would be fitting if there was a repeat of our 20-20 draw from a few years back. I'm still predicting a win for the Wobs. But that's not going to stop me shouting my head off for Ireland.

Best of luck to both sides for the game and whatever the result, hopefully there's a brighter future for both sets of fans to look forward to.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
This is the perfect game to start Gill. Hooper needs a rest and soon. I'd imagine Cheiks would appreciate it.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
The available props are doing the best they can.
We are not exactly blessed with a scrum smashing prop stable at present.
Where some may have doubted Robbie Deans' selections in the front row you would have to think that Link has got a pretty good idea of what is required.
Slipper at loose-head has been a bit of a fail and obviously the scrum coaching has not been great.
Benny A. has also had more than his fair share of success in the past compared to the other props around him.
Change the set piece coach, put Slipper back as a TH and start Fat Cat at LH. Seems obvious to most but Link must see something we do not.

M

Moono75

Clone the Honey Badger and the Wallabies woes would be over. His Movember interview hilarious.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
The available props are doing the best they can.
We are not exactly blessed with a scrum smashing prop stable at present.
Where some may have doubted Robbie Deans' selections in the front row you would have to think that Link has got a pretty good idea of what is required.
Slipper at loose-head has been a bit of a fail and obviously the scrum coaching has not been great.
Benny A. has also had more than his fair share of success in the past compared to the other props around him.
Change the set piece coach, put Slipper back as a TH and start Fat Cat at LH. Seems obvious to most but Link must see something we do not.
You've correctly identified the problem. Our props at the elite level, who have all been through our elite junior programmes are doing their best, but it's not good enough. Whether that's because of lack of ability or poor coaching and development or a combination of both, it is what it is. They seem to have received their coaching and development from the previous generation, who essentially had the same technical deficiencies. Props at junior and school level are selected and promoted on their mobility before their scrummaging. Until the coaching, development and selection process for props at junior and schoolboy level changes, we are going to have the same discussion ad infinitum.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
You've correctly identified the problem. Our props at the elite level, who have all been through our elite junior programmes are doing their best, but it's not good enough. Whether that's because of lack of ability or poor coaching and development or a combination of both, it is what it is. They seem to have received their coaching and development from the previous generation, who essentially had the same technical deficiencies. Props at junior and school level are selected and promoted on their mobility before their scrummaging. Until the coaching, development and selection process for props at junior and schoolboy level changes, we are going to have the same discussion ad infinitum.

A scrum is an exercise in the complex interaction of coordinated strength application. Get them strong! And I'm not talking just about the front rowers, but also the second rowers and the back rowers.

And, while you're at it, get the backs strong too. Rugby is the strength oriented code of football.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I quite like the make-up of our forwards this week. Every bench forward, possibly with the exception of Ryan, should bring some real starch to the pack. Ryan may also surprise a few when given a chance.
Kuiridrani and To'omua are adding some punch to our midfield.
When the likes of Higginbotham, Pocock and Palu return and Ryan, Anae and Sio are coming into their own we may just have a reasonably respectable pack.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Fair points, but the difference is, looking at Slipper, Alexander or any of the others, even if they have a shit game they still look like they actually give a rats arse, and break out of a slow jog at some point in the game.

7 tackles in 60 minutes: Kepu made I think 1 tackle, hit 3 rucks for absolutely zero positive benefit, got destroyed in the scrum all game, was penalised a couple of times and the ONLY positive involvement he had in the match was driving through a maul on our 22.

Now, if he'd had a game like that, but at least broke out of a slow jog at some point and looked like he even wanted to be out there, I wouldn't have been so harsh. There was one point where just after the 2nd half started, the ball was kicked into the Bok 22. Moore and Kepu were standing side by side, near halfway. Moore was the 2nd person to that ruck, and Kepu had barely made it past the 10m line, because he had walked. 2minutes after the 2nd half had started, so there isn't even the "I was buggered from 5minutes of hard tackling and breakdown work" excuse for it.

This is why I don't rate him, nor want him to wear the Wallabies jersey again. Even if you're useless, you should still be ACTUALLY trying to get to a ruck.

If you read what Ewen said (not defending Kepu) he basically said he was used his energy in nerves/excitement and wasn't fit enough. Now he said they worked on getting him fitter.. Let's give him a shot. Call the Boks an off night and get behind the men in Gold... I hope he has a ripper of a game, same with Ryan..

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
I genuinely think he is being rested because of advice from the medical staff.

There's been no indication that his spot was in any danger (outside of the opinions of every Wallaby fan). I expect we'll see him back next week against Scotland.

are you sure? i'm more of the opinion that this is another of ewen's pr exercises. i think the medical advice just made it easier to push out that press release and sound bite.

i like the look up front, it's not far off our best at the moment (barring the injuries). im hoping that fardy coming back in will provide a bit of spark to light the mongrel, and hopefully tpn realises he is not a human cannonball when he tackles so he stays conscious and on the park long enough to hurt ireland.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
Lets hope Hooper doesn't take it upon himself to take quick tap tonight and then to conceded a try 2 min later. Should hold have been at least a 5m Wallabies line out in last weeks game
Cant give the Irish any stupid advantages to gain points....

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
If you read what Ewen said (not defending Kepu) he basically said he was used his energy in nerves/excitement and wasn't fit enough. Now he said they worked on getting him fitter.. Let's give him a shot. Call the Boks an off night and get behind the men in Gold. I hope he has a ripper of a game, same with Ryan..

Well if that is the case, i'll give him a chance.

Thin ice and all that ;)

Chronicle

Chris McKivat (8)
Lets hope Hooper doesn't take it upon himself to take quick tap tonight and then to conceded a try 2 min later. Should hold have been at least a 5m Wallabies line out in last weeks game
Cant give the Irish any stupid advantages to gain points..
Seriously you cannot be blaming Hooper for making a positive decision as the catalyst for the Italian try.
The negativity driven by parochial bias against individual members of the Wallabies is disappointing.
I know everyone is entitled to their opinion but it would be nice if in attacking the decision making of individuals there was some basis in fact

Rugby Is My Life

Herbert Moran (7)
We're finally getting to a stage where we have depth on our bench & Ewen knows when to use them. Polota-Nau, Robinson, Timani, Gill, Lealiafano this week but think about what a difference guys like Pocock, Beale, Higginbotham, etc will make. Hooper you'd have to think would revert back to the bench when Bam Bam returns - that's quality on the bench we haven't had for years.

Wallabies I'm hoping have turned the corner and are finally learning they get paid to play rugby, not talk it up. Ewen has made calls no coach before him had the balls to (dropping Genia, cutting ties with O'Connor before the ARU did anything, taking C off Horwiill) - it's now time our blokes showed the same ticker!

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
yeh at the time i did think it was a dumb decision to take the quick tap. Particularly given that the could have very well been close (like last year) and 3 points could have been very important.

On the flip side, im sure part of the game plan was to run the italian pack off their feet, which seemed to work in the second half.

Probably the wrong decision but you dont want to create an environment where you're chastising players for trying to spark something.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
Seriously you cannot be blaming Hooper for making a positive decision as the catalyst for the Italian try.
The negativity driven by parochial bias against individual members of the Wallabies is disappointing.
I know everyone is entitled to their opinion but it would be nice if in attacking the decision making of individuals there was some basis in fact

You used some big words there for a ex prop to understand.
A 30m individual tap or 5-10m attacking line out.
I would will take the line out......

Deccsion making will be a big factor tonight, so yes I will be parochial bias against players being muppets and putting themselves 1st instead on the team

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I may be wrong, but why do we concentrate our stats on who makes the ruck first when it seems that NZ count the number of times the players are among the first three into a ruck? Seems to me to be a fairer metric. But I also think there needs to be some subjective qualifying of the effectiveness of each involvement as well. Aussie locks seem to have a preference for hitting the ruck only to fall sideways and have little or no impact at all.

Because the way we play at the ruck, we rarely commit three players to a ruck. They are all out clogging up the backline.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom