• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Ireland v Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
How the fuck have they regressed?
You make it sound like they had a winning record during Link's time.
They didn't.
The Great Cheika inherited a team that lost by 1 point against the All Blacks - their most comprehensive performance this year despite losing. Contrast that to the state of the Wallabies in 2013 when Link took over; they were a shambles.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
How many times have the Wallabies played the Boks and ABs under Cheika, again?

Oh..right

I have faith Cheika will come good but referencing the W/L record under Link when he had to coach through TRC and had much more success on his own EOYT is just fucking stupid, mate.

They're not really looking any better or any worse though.

That 15-20 minutes when we came back from 17-zip down was every bit as good, if not better, than anything we saw from a McKenzie coached Wallaby side. Lots to work on, but you can see the blueprint for what Cheika is trying to achieve.

BabyBlueElephant

Darby Loudon (17)
I will forgive all if you can beat the POMS next week. Fuck them

What a game that'll be, whoever loses that game with be destroyed by their respective media. I think Aus could rip England a new one if they play like they did today with a few less mistakes. England's scrum will be about the same as Irelands today thanks to the injuries to the likes of Corbisiero and Cole.

bobdog

Frank Nicholson (4)
That was one hell of a game.....if you can't simply look at it as a game for one second and judge it on its entertainment value then you should give yourself a kick in the balls!

USARugger

John Thornett (49)

That 15-20 minutes when we came back from 17-zip down was every bit as good, if not better, than anything we saw from a McKenzie coached Wallaby side. Lots to work on, but you can see the blueprint for what Cheika is trying to achieve.

Agreed - it was the reference to W/L record as if that means anything at all in this situation that bothered me.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)

I think Ewen wallabies looked better, but we are only 3 games in.. It's a shame Link quit, I think we would have won against the French and Irish. But new coach putting in his blueprint always takes time.

Just beat the Poms I'll be happy

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
How many times have the Wallabies played the Boks and ABs under Cheika, again?

Oh..right

I have faith Cheika will come good but referencing the W/L record under Link when he had to coach through TRC and had much more success on his own EOYT is just fucking stupid, mate.
Not as stupid as suggesting this squad has gone backwards since the coaches changed.
Bear in mind he quit just before the tour started,the new coach didn't have a training session before they jumped on the plane.
Hardly the same prep that Link had a year prior.
Too much rose coloured glasses on here,regarding the former coach.

How was this game any worse than Links last game as coach?
To suggest this team has regressed from their performance in Argentina is very fucking stupid.

Shelts89

Tom Lawton (22)
I will forgive all if you can beat the POMS next week. Fuck them

b28.jpg

BabyBlueElephant

Darby Loudon (17)
Also like to add Hooper was something else today. The guy has stepped up. Australia now have not just the best 7 in the world already hitting a gym somewhere in Canberra, they also have the second best right now in Hooper. An embarrassment of riches as they say eh. Its not very often teams compete that well at the Irish breakdown but thanks to Hooper Aus did their own share of bullying.

I think I've already stated how Kuridrani was outstanding today, but how good was To'omua too? His clearance kicks are outstanding.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Great start from Ireland. Overall the performance could have been better. Made some silly errors, when we'd work hard to build a lead, that gave Aus a sniff. Some really excellent tries by Australia. Really exciting game.
Both teams on the up after this one.

PiXeL_Ninja

Bill Watson (15)
Also like to add Hooper was something else today. The guy has stepped up. Australia now have not just the best 7 in the world already hitting a gym somewhere in Canberra, they also have the second best right now in Hooper. An embarrassment of riches as they say eh. Its not very often teams compete that well at the Irish breakdown but thanks to Hooper Aus did their own share of bullying.

I think I've already stated how Kuridrani was outstanding today, but how good was To'omua too? His clearance kicks are outstanding.
o_O

MrTabua

Larry Dwyer (12)
Wonderful result for Ireland, they are so on the up it's not funny. Brilliant stuff.

Hard to be that positive about the Australian performance. We all know we can score some tries. We worked that out last year. Bigger problems remain from the last decade.

Personally, I don't think very much rests on next week's game against England as long as Stephen Moore is fit for the majority of next year's campaign.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Not as stupid as suggesting this squad has gone backwards since the coaches changed.
Bear in mind he quit just before the tour started,the new coach didn't have a training session before they jumped on the plane.

To suggest this team has regressed from their performance in Argentina is very fucking stupid.

Suggesting the squad has gone backwards is one thing (notice how I never addressed that in my post).

Using the W/L record of the two coaches as some basis for comparison to drive your argument that they haven't regressed is fundamentally flawed to a spectacular degree.

We need more games and Cheika needs more time before any assessment can be made over where the squad really is, especially as we test out and blood new players.

I simply had an issue with the metric you chose to back your argument, because it makes no sense at all.

MrTabua

Larry Dwyer (12)
Interesting what people would think of the Wallabies today, compared to 8 weeks ago, if we didn't have access to what the players (player's managers) apparently think of the coach.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Biffo you are either WA based or in Europe...even I wouldn't be starting my night out at 1.40 EDST...acutally I tell a lie :rolleyes:

no and no.
with two attempts, you have not got within the range of most long-range jets of where i am.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)

or rose coloured glasses regarding The Great Cheika?

The Wallabies' defence has certainly regressed. The Wallabies under Link were conceding 24 points on average across the 22 games Link was involved in; 37 points in his first 3 games in charge, against the ABs (2) and SA.

Cheika's first three games has seen the defence leak 27.6 points (not including the Barbarians match) against Wales, France and Ireland. Considering our average points conceded in Link's last three tests is 26, that is an obvious regression - more so when you consider that The Great Cheika has coached against NH teams, who bar Ireland, were ranked lower than Australia.

Also, nice selective memory there; Link's last game was against the All Blacks not Argentina. But of course I'm fucking stupid for making an observation.

Status
Not open for further replies.