• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Is it time to change the name of the Waratahs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Scheduling had been an issue this year - games shifted due to idiocy, games on long weekends and in school holidays when members in particular are out of town. Plus it is really hard to support a team post-Axel.

I think the venue would be great with only 15K inside - you might actually stand a chance of getting a drink at half time.

But location and transport are why I don't bother any more. I'm blowing away $80 a month on Foxtel to watch all the rugby I want, so why spend that for one game? Getting there for me is a massive hassle from out west and is not possible on a Friday night with traffic.

"But the ATMOSPHERE at the game, what about that, Pfitzy?" I hear you all ask.

Sorry, but at Tahs games there just isn't one. Getting stared at for cheering these days is just likely to get me in a fight with some dick lawyer or one of his investment banker mates. I'm too old and grumpy for that shit any more.

For the rest of it - the NSW government needs to look at the MCG precinct for ideas on how to improve. A train line would be a good start - that's where the airport line should have looped.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
"But the ATMOSPHERE at the game, what about that, Pfitzy?" I hear you all ask.
Sorry, but at Tahs games there just isn't one. Getting stared at for cheering these days is just likely to get me in a fight with some dick lawyer or one of his investment banker mates. I'm too old and grumpy for that shit any more.
The crowd is pretty good this year. Lots of noise. I loose my voice most matches. I know the disapproving looks you speak of but I haven't seen that this year.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
The fans will return, once the Tahs start winning. Even under Link, they weren't playing particularly pretty rugby, but they were winning. That is the most important thing. Winning pretty is the next priority, and if the Tahs keep playing like they did on Friday night, next season will be a big one for them, and Aussie rugby.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
The crowd is pretty good this year. Lots of noise. I loose my voice most matches. I know the disapproving looks you speak of but I haven't seen that this year.
agree. I think the "fans" who aren't turning up any more are the investment bankers and their mates. Everyone who is there is invested in the team, and the atmosphere is getting back to 2003 levels. Also getting beer is much easier

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
My only planned game at the sfs this year is the lions match. That should be a riot.

But I may return for a super fixture if time, work, kids, wife, etc are amenable

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
I would like to see the name formally changed to NSW Waratahs, it bugs me greatly to hear them called the HSBC Waratahs.

As for the crowds, I have now accepted 12-15k as the new normal at the SFS and the tahs need to budget for it. There are all the reasons in the world as to why people don't come, reality is they are excuses and symptoms of the underlying problem. If people really wanted to come, then things like school holidays, weather, traffic etc., would be obstacles that are overcome as they are in many other cities. Nope, the problem is that people would rather either watch the game elsewhere or (worst still) just do other things. I'm not sure if we know which of these two it is.

In some ways, this is the life of a professional sports team in Sydney where crowd interest ebbs and flows greatly (mostly in line with results, but also due to the experience to be had on the day) and rusted on attendees are very hard to acquire.

The tahs will be watching crowd numbers for the Homebush games very closely and I can see more games moving out there if they are drawing 20k+. This would be a pity in my mind but hard economics will demand it.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
I think any renaming should involve removing HSBC from the official team title and calling the team NSW Waratahs. By all means have HSBC plastered all over the jersey, training gear, flags etc but given it is a bank and the financial industry isn't exactly flavor of the month in the press (since 2008) this could have a positive effect on any marketing and on some of the casual fans who we should be looking to attract.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
The tahs will be watching crowd numbers for the Homebush games very closely and I can see more games moving out there if they are drawing 20k+. This would be a pity in my mind but hard economics will demand it.

Never happen. Not enough spine in the administration at state or national level to desert the eastern stronghold. Alienate the elbow patches? Not likely...

Rob42

John Solomon (38)

I agree the atmosphere has been surprisingly good for 15 K crowds. The SFS is an excellent stadium in terms of rewarding noisy crowds, even if they're small. That roof really reflects the noise. Likewise, I haven't received any dirty looks for cheering loudly this year.

Nelse

Chris McKivat (8)
I think any renaming should involve removing HSBC from the official team title and calling the team NSW Waratahs. By all means have HSBC plastered all over the jersey, training gear, flags etc but given it is a bank and the financial industry isn't exactly flavor of the month in the press (since 2008) this could have a positive effect on any marketing and on some of the casual fans who we should be looking to attract.

I think that should be the case for all teams. I've lost track of the South Africans. It would go away to increase the tribalism. You can put in context the teams you are playing. RL is good at that.

In regards to the original suggestion, I don't believe it should change. As people have mentioned there is a lot of history associated with the Waratah, and it does couple the team with the state. More-so than any other province in Aus

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
The blues. Damn. The name must stay the same. It will never change. Way to much history there.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I don't think that the name should be changed. They have a long a proud history that you don't want to move away from.

I think the issue with the crowds this year is related to the Lions. People have spent their rugby ticket budget on getting tickets to Lions matches and Lions events. It is the biggest thing on this year and is eating in to the market of other games.
If the Tah's keep dishing up what they did on Friday night then I think they can expect some good crowds next year. A series win over the Lions by the Wallabies would help too.

Ghibli

Ted Thorn (20)
Few things could be changed for the better, but no need to rebrand.
Don't wanna lose the historical context.

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
A train line would be a good start - that's where the airport line should have looped.

No train line, but light rail is on the cards. The NIMBYs are already complaining.
http://www.transport.nsw.gov.au/media-releases/light-rail-to-reduce-congestion-and-revitalise-sydney

With the current crowds they are attracting, they would comfortably fit into Parramatta Stadium. Not any harder to get to than the SFS, though would be further away for the those in the inner city and the corporate facilities wouldn’t compare to the SFS. I would rather they play there than at Homebush. Won't hold my breath for this to happen.

The NSW State government are review the stadia within Sydney. There has been talk of redeveloping one of the stadiums in western Sydney or building a new stadium. The Tahs admin should seek to get involved as a 30-40,000K stadium would be a good venue to stage games in western Sydney.

If feasible, they should stage a trial match out at Parramatta Stadium or Penrith Stadium to see what type of crowd they can attract. It couldn’t be any worse than the few thousand that turn up to the SFS. Around 10K turned up to the Tonga v Samoa league test match, so they should be able to attract a couple of thousand to a Tahs trial game.

I think any renaming should involve removing HSBC from the official team title and calling the team NSW Waratahs.

With the financial challenges experienced by professional sports team, the money that comes from naming rights would be welcomed. It happens in most professional sports in Australia. Though I don’t recall seeing it much overseas, other than for some of the Sth African super rugby teams. I would rather they do this than accept more $$$ from gambling interests.

Contractually, the Tahs may have to call themselves the HSBC Waratahs. But I haven’t been paid, I will continue to refer to them as the NSW Waratahs or [insert expletive] Waratahs should the occasion deem it necessary. Same for the Wallabies.

rugbyskier

Ted Thorn (20)
Don't see a problem with the Waratahs name but they are NOT New South Wales. The Waratahs franchise area ends at Nowra, Moss Vale, Cowra, Forbes and somewhere north of the lower Lachlan and Murrumbidgee rivers. The Southern Inland, Monaro and South Coast are part of the Brumbies franchise area.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Don't see a problem with the Waratahs name but they are NOT New South Wales. The Waratahs franchise area ends at Nowra, Moss Vale, Cowra, Forbes and somewhere north of the lower Lachlan and Murrumbidgee rivers. The Southern Inland, Monaro and South Coast are part of the Brumbies franchise area.

They are the NSW Waratahs. I think the wikipedia entry is an accurate reflection of reality. The name doesn't have to refer to the fact that they represent every single part of NSW.

The New South Wales Waratahs referred to as HSBC Waratahs for sponsorship reasons, the Waratahs, the 'Tahs or the florists) are an Australian rugby union football team, representing the majority of New South Wales in the Super Rugby (formerly Super 14) competition. The Riverina and other southern parts of the state, are represented by the Brumbies, who are based in Canberra, Australian Capital Territory (ACT) and owned by the ACT and Southern NSW Rugby Union.

Status
Not open for further replies.