• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ISA 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pickngo44

Bob McCowan (2)
Was great to get out and see the Stannies/Pats game yesterday. I was keen to see this Stannies team in action after their very impressive start to the season. I wasn't disappointed. They were superbly drilled and simply too big, too fast and too strong for St Pats. I'd hope some of the Stannies forwards will be representing NSW Schools in the upcoming championship.

I'm sure Stannies would be displeased with the dissent/back chat penalties. Those sort of errors and brain fades could prove very costly against better opposition. Whilst Stannies did give away lots of penalties at the breakdown I'm sure it's part and parcel of their game. Stannies compete ferociously for the ball at every opportunity and this will of course draw penalties, but they also did a fantastic job of spoiling St Pats ball and disrupting any rhythm. A team like St Pats would benefit from working harder on opposition ball to slow it down and just generally piss off the opposition.

Quick word on St Pats, as everyone has said they are trying hard. There are I'd say 2-3 really good players who are keeping them above div 2 quality. The changing focus/demographic of the school is a concern in the long run for the survival of St Pats in div 1. Hopefully they can chalk up a win soon as they do deserve it, but simply been the team that tries really hard every week wouldn't be much consolation to the fellas out there putting it all on the line.

First ISA training is today, would be great if anyone with some teamlists etc could post here.

I

insideball23

Kinross vs pius/gregs results anyone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All pius teams got up against Kinross

1sts won by 50
2nds by about 20
3rds up by 13 at half time but game was abandoned due to serious neck injury causing an ambulance onto the field.

Homebush Kebab

Frank Row (1)
Was great to get out and see the Stannies/Pats game yesterday. I was keen to see this Stannies team in action after their very impressive start to the season. I wasn't disappointed. They were superbly drilled and simply too big, too fast and too strong for St Pats. I'd hope some of the Stannies forwards will be representing NSW Schools in the upcoming championship.

I'm sure Stannies would be displeased with the dissent/back chat penalties. Those sort of errors and brain fades could prove very costly against better opposition. Whilst Stannies did give away lots of penalties at the breakdown I'm sure it's part and parcel of their game. Stannies compete ferociously for the ball at every opportunity and this will of course draw penalties, but they also did a fantastic job of spoiling St Pats ball and disrupting any rhythm. A team like St Pats would benefit from working harder on opposition ball to slow it down and just generally piss off the opposition.

Quick word on St Pats, as everyone has said they are trying hard. There are I'd say 2-3 really good players who are keeping them above div 2 quality. The changing focus/demographic of the school is a concern in the long run for the survival of St Pats in div 1. Hopefully they can chalk up a win soon as they do deserve it, but simply been the team that tries really hard every week wouldn't be much consolation to the fellas out there putting it all on the line.

First ISA training is today, would be great if anyone with some teamlists etc could post here.

Homebush Kebab

Frank Row (1)
I'd hope some of the Stannies forwards will be representing NSW Schools in the upcoming championship.
Agree with Picknogo44 those boys would be very hard to beat. I assume Stannies 1,3,8,10 would be ISA 1's pushing for NSW positions though would guess 10 would possibly be on the wing.

Mr ISA Rugby

Herbert Moran (7)
The first half of the season is done and dusted with Stannies being the clear leaders. Auggies are just behind them.

Oakhill and Greg's make up the middle of the table while Pats and Kinross are down the bottom.

@Pickngo44 there is not a concern of Pats falling out of Div 2 as that's not how the ISA works. The Div 2 comp is made of schools that only have one team in each age group. It wouldn't work, the division between Div 1 and Div 2 is the size of the schools. Div 3 have even smaller numbers usually and play in the 3s/Cs comp in each age group.

There is a future for rugby at Pats - you can only have so many soccer teams - but it starts with a change in culture. The current culture of "close enough is good enough" must be changed to one where winning is promoted more. The transformation of the ISA comp into two rounds as well as the Pius/Gregs split has had a negative influence on rugby in the school. A complete overhaul of schoolboy rugby in general towards a combined comp will be the most positive step forward for rugby as a whole.

Mr ISA Rugby

Herbert Moran (7)
Why would Pius/Gregs have any influence on the program at Pats?

Pius and Pats, Gregs and Pats, used to have a round of very evenly matched and competitive fixtures. By combining them into one the fixture is mismatched with A v B, B v C, usually resulting in very uneven scorelines.

Why would a student want to play an uneven fixture against a team that is better them knowing full-well that they will get hammered? Sure, you may cop a loss against Auggies but at least the basis of the game was fair, it would be A v A or B v B etc.

The merging of the Pius and Gregs fixture helps nobody except Pius and Gregs - with the simple solution being to remove Gregs from the comp. They are MCC member, not ISA. If their borders want to play rugby, play them in the local comp.

pilfer80

Frank Nicholson (4)
The merging of the Pius and Gregs fixture helps nobody except Pius and Gregs - with the simple solution being to remove Gregs from the comp. They are MCC member, not ISA. If their borders want to play rugby, play them in the local comp.

Couldn't agree more Mr ISA Rugby!!!

The thought of Gregs continuously holding Pius in Div2 makes me spew.

#kickgregs

Pickngo44

Bob McCowan (2)
@Pickngo44 there is not a concern of Pats falling out of Div 2 as that's not how the ISA works. The Div 2 comp is made of schools that only have one team in each age group. It wouldn't work, the division between Div 1 and Div 2 is the size of the schools. Div 3 have even smaller numbers usually and play in the 3s/Cs comp in each age group.

There is a future for rugby at Pats - you can only have so many soccer teams - but it starts with a change in culture. The current culture of "close enough is good enough" must be changed to one where winning is promoted more. The transformation of the ISA comp into two rounds as well as the Pius/Gregs split has had a negative influence on rugby in the school. A complete overhaul of schoolboy rugby in general towards a combined comp will be the most positive step forward for rugby as a whole.

I probably should have phrased my post better and absolutely understand what you mean. Div 2 quality is not the right descriptor. The overall quality and quantity of rugby at St Pats is deteriorating rapidly and frankly I can't see it changing. It is easy to talk about increasing numbers and changing cultures etc etc. As everyone continually says St Pats are trying really hard and having a good crack etc. In reality I think that for St Pats 'close enough' is the absolute best they can give. There is no escaping that there is a lack of talent relative to years gone by across all age groups and you will find that St Pats probably has the weakest player development program.

Why? St Pats doesn't allocated its resources the same way as other schools and does has a multitude of other successful co-curricular programs.

The results speak for themselves between the 1sts, 2nds and 13A-16A matches so far this year 30 games have been played resulting in 7 wins, 1 draw and 22 losses including some floggings. Thats just the top grades, its much of the same in B's,C's and D's. Unless serious overhauls of the rugby program occur and they won't because in the grand scheme of things St Pats is content as a school overall, St Pats rugby will continue to deteriorate.

A bit of a throwback, but there is some remarkable similarities to St Pats rugby to the demise of Chevalier in the 2000's. A very successful rugby school had a change of direction, loss of numbers, loss of success and a rapid slide to Div 2. As you said St Pats are lucky they have strength in numbers and a mandatory co-curricular program, but St Pats been a title threat or challenging for the aggregate shield is not in the foreseeable future.

Mr ISA Rugby

Herbert Moran (7)
I probably should have phrased my post better and absolutely understand what you mean. Div 2 quality is not the right descriptor. The overall quality and quantity of rugby at St Pats is deteriorating rapidly and frankly I can't see it changing. It is easy to talk about increasing numbers and changing cultures etc etc. As everyone continually says St Pats are trying really hard and having a good crack etc. In reality I think that for St Pats 'close enough' is the absolute best they can give. There is no escaping that there is a lack of talent relative to years gone by across all age groups and you will find that St Pats probably has the weakest player development program.

I agree with many of your points. If you want to know the main reason for the demise of rugby go look at the ISA Football results. Most divisions have two SPC teams in it who usually take up the top two spots.

Put simply, the changing demographics of the school population has seen a massive increase in soccer while ignorant parents don't see rugby as "safe". It is a sad state of affairs.

Despite this, Rugby still draws a much bigger crowd. No one is going to give up hope until the day soccer is played on Breen Oval (something that will never happen touch wood)

Another factor could also be the school's diverse co-curriular program that involves a variety of sports and non-sporting activities. The new Principal is of a musical background and is likely to enhance the already strong musical program.

It is a successful school with a long and proud history and while the trophy cabinet might not have many rugby shields there is plenty of stuff from other sports.

I can assure you that there are many people within the school as well as those involved with the very successful Old Boy Rugby Club that are working hard to secure a successful future for rugby.

What is defined as success remains to be seen....

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk

S

sweetchilli philli

Holla #Sweetchillination!
Sorry for the delay since my last blog but I have been busier than Rolf Harris at a preschool but anyway here are my spicy takeaways from this week's fixture which I attended.

St Pats V Stannies
This game was not shaping up much with the undefeated powerhouse taking on the unvictorious cellar dwellers. However as I made the drive down I was flooded with memories from last years nail biting loss to these city slicker (pardon my bluntness). These feelings were further worsened as St.Pats took the early lead but Stannies turned it on for the rest of the game. My overall summary of the game is that Stannies is all that and then SOME, however I thought Pats were much better than the opposition of the past few weeks, (surprised they haven’t won a game). As it was expected the usual suspects of Bo “tie” Abra, Hunter “Valley” Ward and Yool “Not sure to call him but his first or last name” Yool were running absolute riot over the men from Strathfield. Aside from the big three the two first names club was at it all day with Hamish Scott, Cooper Sullivan and Joel Thomas in full swing playing great footy particularly Joel who ran hard all day. Although I was impressed St. Patrick’s Hooker Seamus “ Lion Heart” Whelan, this kid goes against all the beliefs of what a front rower should look like. In an age where front rowers are expected to weigh 100kg plus and be ugly, this kid is neither weighing no more than 70 kg dripping wet and looking like Justin Bieber. This bloke tries so hard despite being so much younger and smaller than the rest of the front row. The fact he doesn't throw line outs does concern me slightly but being younger something he can work on to grab higher rep honours although I assume he will start in ISA u16’s.The future of SPC rugby is in safe hands with this kids in it. Other standouts from Pats include Christopher “Tabouli” Sarkis a large second rower, made an impact all day. Conor “double O 7” O’Brien the captain and seven worked hard all day, should be in for higher honours. As well as Winger Anthony “Sarah” Cerra, who ran hard all day. On a milder note Bo “el capitan” Abra was carded for talking to the ref. This is a bunch of hummus, since when can’t a captain talk to the ref i must have missed that rule change.
Sweet Chilli’s Hero of the Dish

1. The big three how many times this year will i say that
  2. The diamond in the rough of Seamus Whelan
  3. The sauce range of homebush Kebabs, various and plentiful

S

sweetchilli philli

With the rep season coming around the corner, I thought I would give my Hot Chips for a projected ISA 1st team for 2017. Obvious this team has already been selected but the team has not been leaked to the wider community so I will have crack at. The following boys are my favourites to take a spot in the starting 15:

1. “El” Bo Abra (S)
  2. Ross “ The Boss” Alston (K)
  3. Jack “ Alliteration” Jones (K)
  4. Max “The Big Dog” Douglas (A)
  5. Jack “Big Mac” Alcorn (G)
  6. Donnie “is a” Freeman (K)
  7. Oskar “With a K” Mitchell- CAPTAIN (K)
  8. “Dog the Bounty” Hunter Ward (S)
  9. Josh “Commitment” Roberts (A)
  10. Yool “Repetition” Yool (S)
  11. Albert “The Destroyer” Hopoate (A)
  12. Brett “Mitchell” Johnson (K)
  13. Harry Wilson “Tennis balls” (A)
  14. Colin “Marilyn” Munroe (O)
  15. Harry “Horse” Haywood (A)
Notable exclusions: Cameron “Costa Ricca” Decosta (O), Willie “Billy” Manu (A), Sean “ The Irishman” Vaivelata (A), Riley “ Brother of Big Mac” Alcorn, Conor “Oooo” O’Brien (P)

These are my picks for the ISA 1’s team, this is based on what I have seen but I don’t expect it to be anywhere near perfect as I have not seen a great deal from schools outside of Stannies. I have tried to keeps my Bathurst bias out of my selections but it is hard when the team has been so dominant. Would love to hear other peoples thoughts and opinions, or even better post the actual team…. LOL.

#StaysaucymyPeeps

Shane Smeltz

Fred Wood (13)
With the rep season coming around the corner, I thought I would give my Hot Chips for a projected ISA 1st team for 2017. Obvious this team has already been selected but the team has not been leaked to the wider community so I will have crack at. The following boys are my favourites to take a spot in the starting 15: [/

1. “El” Bo Abra (S)
  2. Ross “ The Boss” Alston (K)
  3. Jack “ Alliteration” Jones (K)
  4. Max “The Big Dog” Douglas (A)
  5. Jack “Big Mac” Alcorn (G)
  6. Donnie “is a” Freeman (K)
  7. Oskar “With a K” Mitchell- CAPTAIN (K)
  8. “Dog the Bounty” Hunter Ward (S)
  9. Josh “Commitment” Roberts (A)
  10. Yool “Repetition” Yool (S)
  11. Albert “The Destroyer” Hopoate (A)
  12. Brett “Mitchell” Johnson (K)
  13. Harry Wilson “Tennis balls” (A)
  14. Colin “Marilyn” Munroe (O)
  15. Harry “Horse” Haywood (A)
Notable exclusions: Cameron “Costa Ricca” Decosta (O), Willie “Billy” Manu (A), Sean “ The Irishman” Vaivelata (A), Riley “ Brother of Big Mac” Alcorn, Conor “Oooo” O’Brien (P)

These are my picks for the ISA 1’s team, this is based on what I have seen but I don’t expect it to be anywhere near perfect as I have not seen a great deal from schools outside of Stannies. I have tried to keeps my Bathurst bias out of my selections but it is hard when the team has been so dominant. Would love to hear other peoples thoughts and opinions, or even better post the actual team…. LOL.

#StaysaucymyPeeps

That's a good line up SCP.

But I am not sure about Albert H and Harry W (although Harry's dad clearly knew his stuff around the rugby union field); they are both mungo ball players and with the Australian Schoolboys RL National champs the week after ours, I do not know that they would do both.
Having said that though, making ISA does not necessarily mean making NSW - but if you put yourself forward for one you should be available for all.

Don't overlook Willy M, he is a big strong capable player with some pedigree, and he made NSW 2 last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.