• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ISA 2022

Hankspank

Larry Dwyer (12)
Things are getting tight on the ladder. No positional changes this week, but all places still in play. Stannies still stand a chance a finishing on equal points as long as they defeat Pius and Oakhill (no easy task). Auggies are a game in front so only one left for them (Pius). Pius have a tough run home (Oakhill and Auggies) and Pats play Gregs and Kinross. Gregs have Oakhill and Pats and Kinross has Pats and the BYE. It's going to be fun :)

School:Played:Won:Lost:For:Against:Diff:Points:
Oakhill440142657712
Auggies532114106811
Stannies43188652310
Pius4221019838
Pats4227889-118
Gregs41370102-326
Kinross50572152-805
Oaks have Greg’s and Stannies to finish. Already played Pius

DaSchmooze

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Interesting talk of GPS moving to 10 round H&A. It never ceases to amaze me how many times GPS or CAS act unilaterally without any thought about what the flow on effect would be to the other associations. I wish they could see that it's in each other's best interests to ensure that all three association programs are healthy.

Dont know if ISA could or should follow suit. A 14 round comp with a double BYE would be crappy and would leave very little time for trials games. I suspect we'll see trial matches happening in Term 1.

If not, CAS and ISA seem far more closely matched than in years past and it could easily come to pass that the first tranche of matches of the term could be against each other.

DaSchmooze

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Predictions for this weekend:

It's the business ned of the season and many teams will be mapping out their predicted finishes on the ladder. Good luck to all!

St. Patrick's vs Kinross Wollaroi @ Strathfield
Hmmmm - still basking in the glory of last week's win against Auggies black boys? STOP IT NOW ICARUS! You have a tough assignment against a quality opponent. On paper, KWS appear to be having a rough season but the stats don't lie - this team can score tries and Pats notable defence will be tested. Both teams can attack and the first half heist that KWS put on Stannies last week - if replicated - will cause all kinds of headaches for Pats. Black to win but neither easy or predictable.

St. Stanislaus' vs St. Pius X @ Bathurst
It's a simple equation... If Pius can retain enough ball (and I'd say 40% ought to do it) then they are going to do bad things to Stannies this week. If Stannies can hold onto the ball and rumble through the middle, then they'll be doing horrible things to Pius. If Pats can do Auggies then Pius can do Stannies - easy! Going to say Stannies in a very tight one and the home crowd advantage may be enough to get them over the line.

Oakhill vs St. Gregory's @ Castle Hill
Oakhill go into this match the deserved favourites and so they should - they are a joy to watch with strength everywhere. They are patient and disciplined and should prove too much for Gregs. Having said that, the ability to put on 31 points against any team is a sign of 15 blokes who know how to play and Oakhill will still need to play accordingly - Greg's always capable of an upset. If Oakhill play quality Rugby, then they'll win easily but if they try to wing it too much, Greg's will be in with a sniff of a chance.

DaSchmooze

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Was informed Kinross got 2 red cards, were they 1st half or 2nd half?
Yes I arrived halfway through the first half and one had already been handed out for a dangerous tackle (past horizontal). The other was in the second half for what I think was for fighting, or being the second man in - I couldnt tell really as it was at the end of a stoush.

Playing with two less players was never going to make life easy for Kinross. There's certainly some size there and I'd say they had the better scrum. But the struggles to get hold of the ball and Pats had most of the possession. Both teams were willing to run it from behind their 22 which is always good to see and Pats scored a number of tries on the tail end of this.

It was a scrappy game in parts but Kinross didnt back off at all, despite the disadvantage of two less players.

DaSchmooze

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Pius beat Stannies 20 - 19
Well there we go - we knew it was going to be a close game but I'd imagine that Pius will consider a win in Bathurst one for the ages! Well done to them and commiserations to Stannies. Did anyone see the game and could report back?

This will make the ladder very interesting with 4 teams on two losses each! Give me a moment and I'll have a revised ladder done.

DaSchmooze

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Well today's games makes the ladder very interesting indeed: 4 teams on 11 points a piece with 3 wins and 2 losses. The race for second will hinge on next week's games!

School:Played:Won:Lost:For:Against:Diff:Points:
Oakhill5501927012215
Pats532130894111
Stannies532107852211
Auggies532114106811
Pius532121117411
Gregs51475152-777
Kinross60672202-1306

Kinross have concluded their season early having the BYE next week. Well done Orange lads. None of your losses ever felt like blow outs and some of your results could have gone either way.

The best of luck to you next year.

DaSchmooze

Johnnie Wallace (23)
As so often the case this year a very sloppy start to the game with oaks overplaying their hand too often to early in the first 10 minutes. Backline as they have all year clicked into gear and made the difficult look easy.

I dont think Ive ever met a school team that had the maturity to go into a game they expected to win and do anything other than play their hand too often hey? It's so hard to maintain that discipline to earn your right to shift the ball.

But from what I've seen, the Oaks backline had quality from 9-15 so I'm not surprised they took the game by the scruff of the neck.

Silver Back

Bob McCowan (2)
Was informed Kinross got 2 red cards, were they 1st half or 2nd half?

The red cards for Kinross were half-way through first half and two thirds through the second half. There was another lifting tackle in the first two minutes of the match from a Kinross forward that was penalised and could easily have been a yellow card but he remained on the field (and was one of their best players throughout).

The first red card for the Kinross winger was a lifting tackle where the tackled player landed on his shoulder, possibly a bit unlucky to be a red card but it did not look good. Immediately after the tackle the first St Pats player in grabbed the Kinross tackler and pushed him, so the St Pats player got a yellow card which meant numbers were even for both teams for most of the first half.

St Pats had already scored two well constructed tries before the red and yellow cards in the first half. Shortly after the red and yellow cards, St Pats scored their third try from a clever forward running offload down the middle of the park. Unfortunately for Kinross, St Pats were on their game, dominated the first half and thoroughly deserved their four try lead at half time. Kinross were not able to recover from the first half onslaught and frustration crept in during the second half with a few niggly moments. The second red card stemmed from two players having a minor push and shove after a tackle, followed by a silly moment from a Kinross forward running in, tackling a player off the ball and punching. Little doubt about the red card and certainly not what his team needed.

Gutho12

Frank Row (1)
Didn't see anyone else reporting the game, Pius started off with conceding penalties allowing possession and positioning for Stannies to slide in close to the posts. Off kick off, Pius chased hard and their forwards overpowered Stannies forwards in order to get one back. It was an arm wrestle all game, some calls were a bit dodgy. As I watched the live stream with replays many of the referees calls weren't right, giving Stannies some extra chances to take back the lead including a disallowed Pius try from a kick and chase. Would definitely agree on a strong home game advantage with a huge crowd for Stannies. 19-20 at the last minute, Pius had strong defence but Stannies awarded a penalty close to goal for the win. The kick was missed and Pius kicked it out to finish the game.

Both teams with strong opponents next week, love to see what happens!!!

Gutho12

Frank Row (1)
Didn't see anyone else reporting the game, Pius started off with conceding penalties allowing possession and positioning for Stannies to slide in close to the posts. Off kick off, Pius chased hard and their forwards overpowered Stannies forwards in order to get one back. It was an arm wrestle all game, some calls were a bit dodgy. As I watched the live stream with replays many of the referees calls weren't right, giving Stannies some extra chances to take back the lead including a disallowed Pius try from a kick and chase. Would definitely agree on a strong home game advantage with a huge crowd for Stannies. 19-20 at the last minute, Pius had strong defence but Stannies awarded a penalty close to goal for the win. The kick was missed and Pius kicked it out to finish the game.

Both teams with strong opponents next week, love to see what happens!!!
Game Footage

WLF3

Darby Loudon (17)
Interesting talk of GPS moving to 10 round H&A. It never ceases to amaze me how many times GPS or CAS act unilaterally without any thought about what the flow on effect would be to the other associations. I wish they could see that it's in each other's best interests to ensure that all three association programs are healthy.

Dont know if ISA could or should follow suit. A 14 round comp with a double BYE would be crappy and would leave very little time for trials games. I suspect we'll see trial matches happening in Term 1.

If not, CAS and ISA seem far more closely matched than in years past and it could easily come to pass that the first tranche of matches of the term could be against each other.
DS,

A bit rough on the CAS I believe. Many times have I heard CAS supporters back a tiered system which has included the ISA comp, and the CAS schools have played several against ISA teams over the years, not sure against GPS schols?.
It's the GPS who wants to move back into their own little world and play none else.

The over the last few years the Waves have played Oakhill, Stannies and Auggies and knowing the CAS Sportsmasters they are more than happy to play anyone who will give any of us a good game.

DaSchmooze

Johnnie Wallace (23)
DS,

A bit rough on the CAS I believe. Many times have I heard CAS supporters back a tiered system which has included the ISA comp, and the CAS schools have played several against ISA teams over the years, not sure against GPS schols?.
It's the GPS who wants to move back into their own little world and play none else.

The over the last few years the Waves have played Oakhill, Stannies and Auggies and knowing the CAS Sportsmasters they are more than happy to play anyone who will give any of us a good game.
Yeah apologies there WLF3 - I'm tarring you both with the same brush and that's not fair. My interactions with the CAS stretch all the way back to when I was at school in the aftermath of us (St. Pats) being in the CAS and then being kicked out of the CAS with no clear reason as to why so my automatic reaction to things like this is to aim for the nuts first! I should move on :) I always assume that when it comes to us, it's an ISA vs GPS/CAS thing but in reality it is probably not so. I always find it humorous when I hear GPS folk refer to the CAS as "the great unwashed!" when there is so little difference between each of these schools.

From what Ive read over in the CAS forum there seems to be a spirit of co-operation within the CAS to work collaboratively with everyone and this is obviously to be encouraged. And you're dead right though - the ring fencing that goes on with GPS is always a worry to me. I shouldn't be, but I tend to think cynically when I see things like this (GPS acting unilaterally) and automatically assume that it is for brand protection and nothing else.

Interesting times ahead WLF3 and I suspect your closer to the CAS coal face than others within this forum. Would be very keen to hear how your CAS school responds to this and the association as a whole.