• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ISA 2023

DaSchmooze

Syd Malcolm (24)
Updated:

Oakhill v Shore
Auggies v Cranbrook
Scots v Stannies
Scots 2nds v Pius
Joeys 3rds v Gregs
Trinity v Pats
TAS v Kinross

Oakhill v Shore - Shore 26-12
Auggies v Cranbrook - Auggies 12-5 (given the commentary around this game, that's a fantastic result for Auggies)
Scots v Stannies - Scots 80-22 (there's only one direction for Stannies after that game)
Scots 2nds v Pius - 19 all draw (I dont think the result would have been different, but in hindsight, it would have been interesting to see what would have hapenned if these games against Scots were reveresed)
Joeys 3rds v Gregs - Gregs 15-10 (good to see their first up win against them wasn't an anomoly)
Trinity v Pats - 17 all draw (dont think either team would have liked how they played there)
TAS v Kinross - Kinross 42-0 (didnt see that one coming given the year they had last year. Great work boys!)

Miaka

Banned
Auggies vs Cranbrook game report
When I walked through those rat park gates and saw the Auggies boys warming up and the Cranbrook boys warming up I knew we were about to witness one of the great games. looking at the team list thry were both stat stutted line ups. it was an overcast day all around sydney yesterday, but when it hit game time the heaven opened up. The ball was very slippery and in the first few mintues we could feel how high intensity the game was when joe walsh [auggies 10] up ended one of cranbrook players. Walsh only getting a yellow card many beliveing it should of been a red. augs bashed the men in red in the opening stanza leeding to augs first try by number 13. the play stared on half way. and a few kicks later 13 crashed over under the posts. Sam Blank [auggies number 9] nailed the kick from in front of the post. from then untill half time it was a pretty even battle. auggies went into the sheds up 7 to nill. first lots of the second half auggies were there own worst enimies, give silly errors like not finding touch and knock on inside the 22. But auggies marched up field and scored on the hill side corner via number 13. Blank narrowly missing the kick from the side line making the score 12 to nill with about 15 minutes left. soon after auggies knocked it on the cranbrook capitilised on this and scored and converted it to make the score 12 to 5. with the clock running down auggies put a grubber in and it was trapped by cranbrook number 13 he run about 80 metres and looked like he would score and break auggies hearts, but with one of the greatest cover tackles i have seen number 15 run down number 13 to save the day. overall auggies should be very happy with that result i think they are the front runner to win the ISA this year, winning all there trials thus far. cranbrooks number 13 10 and 15 played well snd auggies number 15, 9, and 13 played well I also feel auggies number 12 needs fix up his passing game and he looks hesitant to run into the line. but i cant go past auggies number 8, he left everything out there made huge tackle and run for many metres. I don't know what club he plays for but lets hope he comes to uni.

Last edited:

DaSchmooze

Syd Malcolm (24)
Trials: Week 2 6th of May

Oakhill host Joeys
Auggies host Joeys 2nds
Riverview 2nds host Gregs
Kinross host Grammar
Pius host Trinity
Pats host Cranbrook
Aloys host Stannies

I'm going to say that most of these games could go either way. I think Oakhill will have a tough time of it against Joeys (and think that Auggies will easily account for Joeys 2nds) but every other game will be tight. Should make for entertaining viewing :)

Get to the grounds and support your ISA teams!

Thomas B Rugbyboot

Frank Nicholson (4)
Oakhill vs Shore report: Interesting game. First half, Shore had the edge in in territory and attack. Forwards pretty even. Shore backline looked good. Shore no. 10 and 15 looked very dangerous. Oakhill scrum looked good and was pushing Shore around. Lineouts fairly even. Oakhill got a yellow card about 15 minutes into the game and the same player got a second yellow 3 minutes before half time. Red card for the whole second half. Half time score 5 all. Second half followed similar patterns. Oakhill lineout mistake 5 metres out gifted Shore a try. Shore's backline scored another from about 30 metres out. Looked good. Another yellow for Oakhill. Down to 13 players for another 10. Oakhill's defence during this period was very good. Shore scored another try to the forwards just after the return to 14 players. Oakhill then proceeded to have a period of possession which they scored a nice backs try. Game finished 26-12. Not a true reflection due to Oakhill's ill discipline playing 45 minutes with 14 and a further 10 with 13 players. Unfortunately season ending injury to the Number 8. They get 2 forward returning from injury this week for Joeys.

WLF3

Darby Loudon (17)

Oakhill host Joeys
Auggies host Joeys 2nds
Kinross host Grammar
Pius host Trinity
Pats host Cranbrook
Aloys host Stannies

I'm going to say that most of these games could go either way. I think Oakhill will have a tough time of it against Joeys (and think that Auggies will easily account for Joeys 2nds) but every other game will be tight. Should make for entertaining viewing :)

Hi DaS,

To be honest, as a CAS follower, I am not thrilled to see any 2nds team playing another schools 1st team.
In this case, when the Waves play View this Sat, the Waves 2nds look like they will be playing Views 3rds, and so down the grades it goes, mismatches.
Not a particularly good early season prep for the Opens teams, other than the 1sts.

In this case, Auggies could have played Gregs 1sts, I know they will meet in your comp, but that it shouldn't matter months earlier, experiments can be tested. IMO Auggies should be playing Joeys 1sts to see where they really stand.

DaSchmooze

Syd Malcolm (24)
Hi DaS,

To be honest, as a CAS follower, I am not thrilled to see any 2nds team playing another schools 1st team.
In this case, when the Waves play View this Sat, the Waves 2nds look like they will be playing Views 3rds, and so down the grades it goes, mismatches.
Not a particularly good early season prep for the Opens teams, other than the 1sts.

In this case, Auggies could have played Gregs 1sts, I know they will meet in your comp, but that it shouldn't matter months earlier, experiments can be tested. IMO Auggies should be playing Joeys 1sts to see where they really stand.

Yeah I dont know why Auggies are doing that. I can only imagine it was a quirk of scheduling as Ive never seen an Auggies side take on a 2nds team from any school. (I could be wrong with that Auggies fans???)

As far as schools 1sts playing other schools seconds (or thirds), I'm all for it. It offers a competitive game to schools with smaller programs and tests out other schools 2nd and 3rd grade teams against a potentially stronger opposition.

I dont have an issue with it in trial form and any potential mismatches can be mitigated further down the grades as they too are trials only.

RedOrDead

Charlie Fox (21)
As far as schools 1sts playing other schools seconds (or thirds), I'm all for it. It offers a competitive game to schools with smaller programs and tests out other schools 2nd and 3rd grade teams against a potentially stronger opposition.

I dont have an issue with it in trial form and any potential mismatches can be mitigated further down the grades as they too are trials only.

The problem with it is sometimes whilst a lower tiers schools 1st team may get a good matchup against a schools 2's team, it may screw around another school. For example, I remember in 2019, Shore 1's played Barker 1's, Aloys played Shores 2's, and Barker 2's got stuck playing against Shore 3's which Barker one by 60 after benching many of their better 2's players. Of course I acknowledge with schools being all different levels of depth etc. there will always have to be mismatches.

DaSchmooze

Syd Malcolm (24)
The problem with it is sometimes whilst a lower tiers schools 1st team may get a good matchup against a schools 2's team, it may screw around another school. For example, I remember in 2019, Shore 1's played Barker 1's, Aloys played Shores 2's, and Barker 2's got stuck playing against Shore 3's which Barker one by 60 after benching many of their better 2's players. Of course I acknowledge with schools being all different levels of depth etc. there will always have to be mismatches.
Yes agreed with all of that and I dont think there is perfect formula for dealing with it other than to say that a trial is a trial and needs to be treated as such.

ROrD - what does CAS do for programs with smaller numbers when the season proper starts? Assuming that an Aloys B plays a Knox B regardless of their ability?

WLF3

Darby Loudon (17)
Agree RoD,

Whilst I will be careful not to down play any school, in this case Waves v View both have solid depth typically, so why all the Waves Opens teams will have to play a lower View team appears a complete mismatch, and a waste of time. Time will tell but if this is what happens and if View get toweled up in all the lower grades then there is the proof. I think this situation only applies to those schools who have comparable strength.

ap1

Allen Oxlade (6)
Yes agreed with all of that and I dont think there is perfect formula for dealing with it other than to say that a trial is a trial and needs to be treated as such.

ROrD - what does CAS do for programs with smaller numbers when the season proper starts? Assuming that an Aloys B plays a Knox B regardless of their ability?
My understanding was that traditionally there was a requirement for A teams to play other A teams in the CAS competition. This requirement didn't apply to lower grade teams and they could be matched however schools agreed.

I do know however that last year there were instances whereby, for safety reasons, some school A teams played opposition B teams during the CAS comp.

JamesPapallo

Stan Wickham (3)
Yeah I dont know why Auggies are doing that. I can only imagine it was a quirk of scheduling as Ive never seen an Auggies side take on a 2nds team from any school. (I could be wrong with that Auggies fans???)

Auggies are playing joeys 2's because the team last year was not very competitive, however as scores have shown augs are much different this year and could definitely take joeys 1's but its how cookie crumbles.

DaSchmooze

Syd Malcolm (24)
My understanding was that traditionally there was a requirement for A teams to play other A teams in the CAS competition. This requirement didn't apply to lower grade teams and they could be matched however schools agreed.

I do know however that last year there were instances whereby, for safety reasons, some school A teams played opposition B teams during the CAS comp.
That seems like a sensible approach.

Chip kick

Allen Oxlade (6)
Auggies are playing joeys 2's because the team last year was not very competitive, however as scores have shown augs are much different this year and could definitely take joeys 1's but its how cookie crumbles.
Auggies 16As beat joeys 16A's last year. Should add a bit of fire to the match.

JackJill

Sydney Middleton (9)

Oakhill host Joeys
Auggies host Joeys 2nds
Kinross host Grammar
Pius host Trinity
Pats host Cranbrook
Aloys host Stannies

Pats will be an interesting game and will give a contrast on the differences between them and Auggies. With Auggies seemingly only just holding on against Cranbrook, we will see how possibly their biggest competitor for the shield will fair out.

I agree, it will be mostly tight games all around this week, Joeys might give Oakhill a shake-up, is there any idea why Joeys' 2s are playing at Auggies and 1s at Oakhill? Seems a bit daft to me to have them at separate locations? What if a player gets injured in the warm-up?

William McIlrath

Bob McCowan (2)
Given the number that got put on Stannies last week what seems to be the consensus on the matchup of Stannies vs Aloysius this week?

JackJill

Sydney Middleton (9)
Given the number that got put on Stannies last week what seems to be the consensus on the matchup of Stannies vs Aloysius this week?
Scots are one of the top teams in Australia this year, I'd take it not as a warning but as a wake-up call for the boys in Bathurst. Their tough, they'll bounce back and I'm predicting they'll put a substantial number on Aloys this week, as a statement. I truly don't know how good Aloys actually are though so that's just my speculation.

DaSchmooze

Syd Malcolm (24)
Pats will be an interesting game and will give a contrast on the differences between them and Auggies. With Auggies seemingly only just holding on against Cranbrook, we will see how possibly their biggest competitor for the shield will fair out.

I agree, it will be mostly tight games all around this week, Joeys might give Oakhill a shake-up, is there any idea why Joeys' 2s are playing at Auggies and 1s at Oakhill? Seems a bit daft to me to have them at separate locations? What if a player gets injured in the warm-up?

I'm wondering if Joeys will split their strength across their 1s and 2s? Take a squad of 20 to each game?

Footyalwayswins95

Frank Row (1)
Auggies vs Cranbrook game report
When I walked through those rat park gates and saw the Auggies boys warming up and the Cranbrook boys warming up I knew we were about to witness one of the great games. looking at the team list thry were both stat stutted line ups. it was an overcast day all around sydney yesterday, but when it hit game time the heaven opened up. The ball was very slippery and in the first few mintues we could feel how high intensity the game was when joe walsh [auggies 10] up ended one of cranbrook players. Walsh only getting a yellow card many beliveing it should of been a red. augs bashed the men in red in the opening stanza leeding to augs first try by number 13. the play stared on half way. and a few kicks later 13 crashed over under the posts. Sam Blank [auggies number 9] nailed the kick from in front of the post. from then untill half time it was a pretty even battle. auggies went into the sheds up 7 to nill. first lots of the second half auggies were there own worst enimies, give silly errors like not finding touch and knock on inside the 22. But auggies marched up field and scored on the hill side corner via number 13. Blank narrowly missing the kick from the side line making the score 12 to nill with about 15 minutes left. soon after auggies knocked it on the cranbrook capitilised on this and scored and converted it to make the score 12 to 5. with the clock running down auggies put a grubber in and it was trapped by cranbrook number 13 he run about 80 metres and looked like he would score and break auggies hearts, but with one of the greatest cover tackles i have seen number 15 run down number 13 to save the day. overall auggies should be very happy with that result i think they are the front runner to win the ISA this year, winning all there trials thus far. cranbrooks number 13 10 and 15 played well snd auggies number 15, 9, and 13 played well I also feel auggies number 12 needs fix up his passing game and he looks hesitant to run into the line. but i cant go past auggies number 8, he left everything out there made huge tackle and run for many metres. I don't know what club he plays for but lets hope he comes to uni.
IMO 12 was impressive other than that one mishap, present in defence and took the ball to the line a few times, passing was respectable too.